Frankenbass idea

Just having modding thoughts here. Was toying with the idea of building a kit bass, but you can buy a cheapy bass for modding so cheap that it doesn’t seem worth it, in my opinion.
Here’s my idea: Get a cheapy PJ bass, such as a Harley Benton, and add a second P bass pick up at the neck. The extra pickup would have it’s own volume knob to keep things simple. Oh, and replace the strings with something decent.
Or, if you have any other ideas that don’t involve spending a lot of money, I’m all ears.

1 Like

Modding basses is a hobby a few people here have! I swear we have a few topics for it but all I found on a quick search was this one:

Buying a cheap bass and modding it is definitely an option.

1 Like

I have recently done a Pitbull kit and while it was rewarding it was a bit of a job.
I want to do another but was also thinking that modifying a cheap bass would be best.
I have a spare fretless neck which I changed from another bass, I am also thinking about eventually getting a Chickenbacker for the body shape and changing pups and electronics to suit.

2 Likes

Mods don’t have to be super heavy to be fun and valuable, either. Out of my three instruments, two have new bridges (easiest mod ever), one has new tuning machines, and one has a better pickup. All three have strap locks.

There’s a lot of little things you can do that can really improve an instrument.

2 Likes

I got a D5 bass from Sire, fantastic feeling and playing bass, tad on the bright side out of the box. I changed the stock bridge to a Fender hi-mass with brass saddles and it really brought out the warmth and helped dial in the tone.

I agree with @howard mods don’t have to be big and complicated.

2 Likes

This one is full of them too…

2 Likes

Harley Benton do a Rickenbacker copy. Or you can get a full Lemmy replica on AliExpress for ~£300

1 Like

Yeah I had minor GAS for the Harley Benton one but became convinced after looking at reviews that it wasn’t worth it (especially with converting to Australian Dollarbucks and shipping).
I like the look of the Aliexpress Chickenbackers with the assumption I will upgrade them-not particularly looking for a Rick sound so no drama there

1 Like

Most of my basses have new knobs, bridge, tuners, electrickery bits and in one case neck-I tend to customise things a bit

1 Like

I’m up for it! Modding is just fun.

If you want to go easy then EMG pickups and get the stacked knobs with volume and tone. Since you are going to route the pickup cavity you can route extra room under the Pickguard. Although p pickup at the neck heel may not produce the fun tone p Pickup usually offer. Plus if ou get the exposed pole type there’s also the alignment issue to consider as well.

1 Like