Fretful.io (scales/chords fretboard web visualizer)

Just want to second this notion @gcancella - the app is looking really cool, but I think given that you’re still learning all the theory stuff, you should get someone with that expertise to consult with you more thoroughly. I don’t have the bandwidth, but maybe @Gio would be up for talking about that? I’m sure there are a lot of theory professors looking for work right now too!

4 Likes

I wouldn’t even have said anything :innocent:

I do not have anything valuable for the theory discussion but again: great work with the tool. Really comes along great. Hopefully someone can help figuring out the enharmonics and check the tool overall. It’s just not me :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you have any questions @gcancella - send a message. I’ll check it out. If I’m slammed and can’t get to it, I’ll let you know!

3 Likes

Thank you for your words, @JoshFossgreen. I’m sure there are, and would be the optimal path for the tool of course. Unfortunately this is a non-profit and non-funded tool, it’s just something I’m doing on my free time and I simply don’t have the means to pay for professional consultancy, at least on a ongoing basis. Maybe when it reaches the maturity, in terms of features I’m aiming for, I can raise funds for a one-shot kind of thing.

Ahaha, actually I was thinking of you when I wrote that :sunglasses:

Thank you @Gio for your availability! I’ll gather my questions and send you a message. If you can help, great, if not I won’t hold it against you :stuck_out_tongue:.

5 Likes

Did the last update of the year!

The tones now have “weight” to aid in the visual study of the scale/chord

2 Likes

@gcancella
It looks to me like this guy may need an app developer.

Scale Colour System

4 Likes

This is a lovely concept. One of those that I’m sorry I didn’t think about. Actually I have some stuff color related, but it’s note oriented and not interval oriented.

My birthday is on the 9th, I think I will order myself a little gift.

3 Likes

It looks like he only has books. His website could say “powered by @gcancella”!

5 Likes

Needed a refresher on notes and chord locations on the fretboard. This app was great before, but even better now - nice quick visual that I needed for it to all come back! Thanks :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m glad it was useful for you! If you have any suggestions don’t be shy!

3 Likes

Just did a small update

[alpha-1.6.0] - 2020-03-25
Added
  • Intervals view to the fretboard
Changed
  • Settings button moved to the fretboard
Fixed
  • Missing Granularity view on the Intervals page

3 Likes

App seems a bit sluggish to me…are you using Vue.js / Bootstrap on FE?

3 Likes

Yep and yep! Yeah it has a lot of performance issues I haven’t found the will to tackle yet.

It’s very javascript intensive too, which doesn’t help. I might have to prerrender some of the stuff before deploy. The scales/chords and their derivations etc are all calculated on the fly, and that could be pre-calculated quite easily.

Having the entire bootstrap loaded also doesn’t help and is unnecessary, I plan to discard bootstrap entirely once I leave the alpha version and have my own (mini) design system implementend.

This all began as a prototype/proof of concept for the fretboard component only, it grew out of hand quite quickly as I got excited with it and started implementing more and more features.

4 Likes

Hi, I think I found a small bug:

When I select Octave 0 (so “all”), the 7th is missing.

Edit: I had “Octave” selected instead of “Notes”. Works now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very cool tool though!

2 Likes

Thanks!

In your defense, it’s not your fault. It’s not obvious what those buttons do. I have to rethink those or add some tooltips.

1 Like

I haven’t done any work with Vue.js but if it’s anything like React / Angular it seems like you have a lot of unnecessary re-rendering going on. Try to decouple your components using some sort of Flex (Redux) architecture and use memoization (Reselect) to prevent unnecessary renders.

1 Like

I was just going to say that, you beat me to it :thinking::joy:

I remember looking at fretful when this thread first started and honestly thinking hmm… OK. you’ve come a long way since. gonna buy a couple coffees, nicely done :+1:

3 Likes

:joy:

Techie stuff. Noisembryo is onto something though. I will update the project to Vue 3 which makes use of new techs for reactivity, which won’t trigger as much rerenders. Might lose support for Internet Explorer 11, but hey, we’re in 2021.

Thank you, really! Coffees are always appreciated :coffee:

4 Likes

Added 3 chords

Thanks @joergkutter for the suggestions!

2 Likes