Fretful.io (scales/chords fretboard web visualizer)

Yes, of course! The plan is to be the goto reference :stuck_out_tongue:

But as I mention in my answer to T_dub, I want to clear the stuff Josh raised first before adding more material and possibly induce my current users in error.

I also want to make the tool easy shareable, so you can share exactly what you’re seeing with your friends/teacher/save as a bookmark

4 Likes

I’ve always spelled chromatic scales in the most legible, coherent way possible. So, no double sharps or flats, and avoiding B#s/Cbs & E#s/Fbs whenever possible.
I did all my music-major-college-theory classes, and there was never a portion on correct spelling of chromatic scales.
Probably because it’s not an exclusive-set type of tool the way diatonic scales are.

I say do what makes the most sense.

4 Likes

So you wouldn’t say it’s wrong to have a legible chromatic underlying (the blank spaces between intervals) in any given scale?

This would be ok with you?

That would be no double sharps nor flats (nor E#s etc) for anything. But I’m “new” to music theory :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

If it’s just an underlay, than I think it would be fine.
Double sharps and flats show up functionally when people are writing out music and spelling chords with specific tone centers and movement.

You only need double sharps and flats if you start spelling out the world of less common scales - the things outside of the 15 diatonic keys.
For note identification, they are only a necessary part of reading/identification information if someone is going to go deep into classical music.
Most rock/pop/jazz will spell things legibly rather than functionally correct to allow for easier / more intuitive reading.

6 Likes

Thank you so much @Gio!

I think I’ll add a toggle button, in the future, to let the users control enharmonization, with the default being the classical standard.

It’s a fretboard explorer in the end of the day, i’ll let them explore as they see fit

5 Likes

Just did an update with fixes based on @JoshFossgreen and @Gio inputs. In addition to those, also had to consider the issues raised in this topic: A question about enharmonics and register - #2 by gcancella

Changelog

[alpha-1.3.0] - 2020-08-14

Added
  • Added scale information
  • Added scale shape
  • Added string name and visibility control from the settings sidebar
  • Contacts
  • Donations
Changed
  • Changed how degrees are displayed
  • Now considering all enharmonics when building a scale
Removed
  • Switch between flat/auto/sharp

Started introducing scale information and shapes

Added the possibility to enable/disable the string name. It should help in cases where the scale mutates the string root.

Check it out: www.fretful.io

7 Likes

This may very well be my favorite part. I can stare at this like I would a roadmap. “Where does this go?”

4 Likes

Playing with it now, it is really cool. your work is greatly appreciated.

I have a couple questions / suggestions. maybe you already have this, or already know about it, but I will say it, in case you don’t, so it does not get missed.

1 - can you make a ZooM feature, or make the fonts larger. my eyes, damn my eyes.
2 --The Bass String selection in the Settings only goes to 7. I would think 8 would be more common then 7, so I was thinking, if you can’t fit 8, that you would drop 7 and go to 8. anything over 6 is kind of rare, (from what I gather) so 7 and 8 just extras, so you cover most of the string options, but I think that if is it a space issue on the slider bar, that 8 would be more common then 7. but IDK, these are just thoughts from my quick glance at the app. I am headed back to play around more.

2 Likes

Thank you, sir! Shaping up nicely!!

Why?? I think I could name 1 or 2 7-string player, but I don’t know any 8-string player… Then again, I am not into djent or progressive metal so much… :wink:

4 Likes

cough

here’s two :slight_smile:

not on bass though :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I dig Animals as Leaders (can’t see the video, however… due to a still-ongoing Danish thing with YT… :rage:)… but, yeah, I thought we were talking about basses with 8 strings :wink:

4 Likes

Yeah was mostly kidding. Never seen an 8-string bass myself. That’s gotta be approaching a Stick.

3 Likes

Guess I was wrong, I was going by what I see for sale, I have never seen a 7 string for sale, but have seen quite a few 8 strings. Not that I was looking for either, just what I notice when scrolling.

I don’t particularly like anything above 5, and still prefer 4. mostly

3 Likes

can’t see it again.

1 Like

Plenty of 7s turn up in search. I don’t think I have ever seen an 8 that was not an octaved 4.

I just googled 8s and thought I saw one but it was just a guitar. All the other 8s were octaved 4’s.

5 Likes

Huh… whodda thunk!?!

Jeroen Thesseling plays a Warwick 7-string fretless. This below is really not my music at all, but occasionally he also plays fusion :grin:

PS: Hm, OK, maybe it’s not a 7-string in this video, but he often wields one…

4 Likes

Wouldn’t the browser’s native zoom work for you? Try hitting Ctrl plus + (and - to reset). Let me know

8 is perfectly doable also, the tuners will scroll horizontally if needed (already did a test with 12 strings). Why did I put 7? The list I was checking for standard tunings only went up to 7 strings :stuck_out_tongue:

Please do! And thank you so much for your comments. Don’t hesitate if anything more crosses your mind

3 Likes

Thank you Joerg!

4 Likes

Thank you @DaveT! I’m very glad you find it useful

3 Likes

The only 8 string basses I could find that were not EADG octaved 4 string basses (i.e. like a 12 string guitar) looked like one-off novelties to me. I didn’t find any production models.

However there are several production 7 string basses.

3 Likes