Fretting Tone Question

Beginner here and have been working my way through the B2B program. While I do tune my bass before lessons, I am finding that I have to adjust my fingers either closer to/further away from the fret wires to be in tune with Josh’s notes during the workouts. However, the distance is not consistent between the individual notes/strings and the open strings are always in tune with his. Is this a result of how I am pressing on the fretboard, maybe how I am plucking, a noob thing and will get better with practice, does an adjustment need to be made to my bass, or could it be I am not “compatible” with the model I am using [it’s me, not you bass guitar… I’m just not ready for this kind of a relationship and really sorry :frowning: ]. I did have my local guitar store put a new set of strings on it and adjust/setup the bridge. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

are you pressing hard on the frets ? do you know your string gauge ?

1 Like

Sometimes it can be where you fret the string, but what confuses me is that you state it is different on each string… Is it off key the same amount on each individual string at each fret as you move up and down that particular string on the fretboard? Just a shot in the dark, but… Intonation? Guitar stores typically don’t check this unless you specifically ask, and they sometimes charge more for doing it even though it’s a simple process that you can do yourself… Thing is, I would think that the intonation would have to be pretty far off to have something this noticeable happen, but then again, anything is possible…

Oh, forgot to ask, was it like this before you had new strings put on?

1 Like

I am probably pressing too hard and have been trying to use a lighter touch lately, but it doesn’t seem to affect this issue either way. I do not know my string gauge nor have the tools to check. That’s on the “things to buy at some point” list. I did compare the height to the manual specs using a precision ruler and they are within the right range.

2 Likes

No each note is a little different, but it’s more noticeable on the E and A strings. However, further up the fretboard it doesn’t seem to be as bad. As an example, I was playing D, A and B all on the A for the workout video. The D needed to be practically on top of the 5th fret wire, the A was fine, and the B was almost 1/4 (maybe a little less) away from the 2nd fret wire.

It was like this before I had new strings put on it. Originally, I just thought the strings may have been cheap, crappy, or old.

2 Likes

It sounds like an intonation problem.
There are guides on the internet to check out if you feel like learning to do it yourself.

This guy is my new go-to for bass setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvm_DT0GHIM

But how far out of tune are we talking about? Just a little or actually the wrong note?

1 Like

Just a little, but it varies by note. That makes me wonder if it’s not how I am fretting more than anything.

2 Likes

You can adjust your fretting pressure by pressing down on a note and keep letting up until it doesn’t sound right. Then you can get a feel for how hard you need to press. This depends on string gauge, action, etc. so will vary from instrument to instrument, but you’ll be in the ball park once you get used to one instrument.

I’ve never played a bass or guitar that has perfect pitch on every note either, but it is usually the bridge side of the fretboard that goes a little wonky. That makes sense because if you want it to be a little off, you want it where you spend the least time. It’s still close to the right pitch though, just not perfectly in tune. It usually will still sound OK to the ears, but a proper tuner will pickup that it’s not quite right.

2 Likes