GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

5 Likes

I looks nice @athosmr2003 . What’s the headstock look like?

3 Likes

Update: neck straightened, bridge saddles lowered (quite a bit). The previous owner had no idea what I was talking about when I asked him if the truss rod worked… Fortunately it works without issue. It does require a considerable amount of force to turn it though.

While I was checking neck relief and action height, the previous owner asked what I was doing. The action was quite high, but he had no idea that and how it could be adjusted…

One minor setback: I can’t raise the pickups as far as I’d like. I can loosen the screws, but the pickups just don’t raise any further than a certain amount. I can pull them out, so they aren’t stuck, but they drop back in when I let them go. Guess the foam underneath will have to be replaced.

8 Likes

6 Likes

You can try foam underneath those pickups and see if it works. I used foam for both my J-Bass (the Poison Apple) and the P-Bass (the Turquoise Waters) and the pickups stay nice and high.

3 Likes

Having done this a few times….

• Buy 2x as much foam as you think you need, sometimes you need another 1/2 height foam to fill the void.
  • Even with new foam, once compressed it doesn’t spring up over time very well, grab some pickup screw springs while you are at it and put them in too. I find this works well for adjustments down the road.
4 Likes

That Is a very good looking headstock. I like the shape.

5 Likes

It wasn’t an expensive bass and it was the first I had bought. It was also the first where I broke the E string. What attracted me to it in the first place was the style of the headstock and the sunburst color of the body. At the time I bought it, I had no understanding of the types of basses or pickups, but now that I’ve built 2 of my own, I have a much better understanding…and reading Geddy Lee’s book didn’t hurt.

3 Likes

20% off EVERYTHING at Stew Mac……

https://www.stewmac.com/?utm_source=delivra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=New%20Site%20Sale-a-bration&utm_id=3062824&utm_term=New+Site+Grand+Opening+Event

3 Likes

I wish I had the money to take advantage of the sale. Property taxes got me…and I’m saving for a $220 bass Terry has in his shop

3 Likes

Ramps are awesome. Once you put it on one bass you’d want it on all.

3 Likes

Finger rest are more for looks than functions to me. They are usually too far above the strings to be effective, unless you are really digging in to the strings and née that much leverage.

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve got to say I’m enjoying the ramp on the Ray4 @Al1885
Strange in that I don’t really notice it’s there but use it all the time.
I’ve always enjoyed playing over the bottom of the neck so this is just like an extension of that

2 Likes

Oh total bmmser

Bass was gorgeous andj#
Mmkmooi

2 Likes

Do you have a photo of that Mac. I’m trying to work out where to place my thumb on the Ray4. On the pickup it feels a bit far back for me.

3 Likes

You OK, man?? :flushed: :worried:

3 Likes

And I’m back at two… Sold the Yamaha to a kid who’s going to learn how to play using Rocksmith. Also had an uncle who plays in a band and is going to help him, so he’s off to a good start.

3 Likes

Hi @T_dub . Good to see you back. How are you doing?

3 Likes

Nice to see you back @T_dub, I was beginning to worry about you. Your comments have been rather cryptic of late, I hope you are okay.

That :point_up:

5 Likes

I’ll get a pic ASAP @Bassdacious

Good to see you look in @T_dub . I’m hoping you’re okay?

4 Likes