GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

We still have an Early 2008 iMac that I have been too lazy to get rid of that we still use occasionally as a TV, just because the display is so good.

It’s pretty useless for anything but that though, and we just assume it to be pwned.

4 Likes

Yeah, I have that 2007/2008 that my mom got from my aunt that I tried, after my 2009 croaked (assume its HDD Failure, but if it was 2012 or newer, I would just swap in an SSD for the dead HDD, but it just on the cusp of still being useable, to not being worth more then a tv.
Had it been ONE model later, I would have got the Mac Mini and drove it thru the Imac screen speakers / web cam, mic, etc…
But My model was the wrong one.

2015 is a good year right now, because most any model from 2015 is still totally relevant since they can all be upgraded to Big Sur and most current apps are compatible.
even if you stay at Catalina, most things still work, and probably is more stable anyway, so IDK if I will even go Big Sur for a while.

Some models 2014 is relevant, and certain 2013 models are relevant too…

But yeah, @Paul , 2015 seems to have the right price point right now, and seems to the best bang for the buck, along with being a year with major imac upgrades, and that is what is making them desirable now. The stupid thing about 2014 for Mac Mini, and 2015 for imac, was when they made the RAM not upgradeable, and soldered it in.
Of course, with SSD drives being affordable, and quad core processors, the Virtual Memory makes the lower RAM not as mandatory or necessary…

Plus, i found that 2015 model on Amazon for less then any 2014 iMacs on Amazon, and same price within $5 for a 2013, so, yeah, unless its a lemon, It should work out well. I am excited to get my set up back up and running.

I actually play less bass without the computer for some reason.
Well, its partly the connivence of being able to multi task, and have GB and Safari and Message all running together, so I can stay in one spot with my bass at all times.
And
Because I can lay down more or lounge around with the Ipad to use safari, and I get up and sit where my computer was, with the measly ipad, for GB, but since I go back and forth so much on the computer with my set up all easily accessible (bass, Amps, Pedals, Computer, Chair, clean cables only exposed where i need access) so I sit at the computer with all my gear, on a good chair for playing bass.
It is really solid, and pretty comfortable, with no arm rests, so it suits me perfectly.
But for typing and browsing on the Ipad, I just cant get into sitting at the set up.

So when I get my Imac next week, I will set everything back in its perfect little place, and be back to playing bass 3-4x more then I have been these past weeks without a computer.

3 Likes

It’s here!

10 Likes

Hang on, let me get my earplugs.
Prepare to never talk to you neighbors again, enjoy!!!

6 Likes

Bwahahaha!

5 Likes

Is that a 1000w amp head. Oh my!

8 Likes

My neighbor with the dog rescue of all the loud barking dogs sold the house. The neighbor on the other side with the partying teenagers also sold her house. I now have new neighbors on both sides.
I’ll patiently wait to determine if I also need to upgrade my 500 watt to 1000 watt.
I can’t help asking myself if my early morning bass playing caused my neighbors to sell their houses.

8 Likes

Upgrade in case 500 watt isn’t enough to ged rid of the new neighbors? :smiley:

6 Likes

Mrs.Purrs should just get a car meet to surround her house and let her run her rig into the 17 trunk thumpers then let her slap her Hohner at 5:40am right at the ass crack of dawn so she can have the entire neighborhood to herself. And that isn’t even her final form.

6 Likes

LOL he used PC Gamer seats for the frontseats

7 Likes

I’d love that! Til deaf do us part :joy:

5 Likes

But most importantly, part me from neighbors cause they never lend me any sugar bebe

4 Likes

That’s a good idea @Bersist. But then, there’s always my dream amp too…

6 Likes

So, I decided I was going to do an electronics upgrade on my trusty SR300. I started looking around for pickups and preamps and the whole nine, and then I found an SR500EPB on Reverb with the electronics I wanted for only a wee bit more than the cost of the electronics alone.

So I just bought the bass. Hopefully it’ll ship out Monday, and it’s coming from up in LA so it shouldn’t take more than a day or two to get to me in OC. Yay.

7 Likes

Spoken like a true Bassbuzzer!

So proud, so proud

7 Likes

LOL Why surround your house when your house is the amp!

6 Likes

Nice @JustTim !
Congratulations. I’m sure you’ll be very happy with your new purchase

6 Likes

I can’t believe what I spent to get this…and cables, and another amp, and a hard case, and a hercules stand and a Patterson tuner…it’ll never end, will it?

19 Likes

Nope!

6 Likes

Nope. Nice bass btw

7 Likes