GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Strobostomp!

3 Likes

Decided to do a little upgrading to my recording set up. Picked up a pair of Adam Audio T7V Front Face monitors along with a new Sterling Harmony H224 audio interface. A big jump up from my old M-Audio C series DAI!! So much nicer and easier to record and lay tracks in my studio without having to wear cans or in-ears…. And, the sound I get is the actual sound (when recorded) as it will sound out of normal speakers - no more playing through amps!! So cool!! Gear’d my old DAI to our bands lead guitar player and now he’s working on some of the original music that my old Navy buddy and myself are writing…

Never realized how a good set of Front Face speakers and a good DAI can be…

9 Likes

T7Vs are one of the price/value champions atm. … I love them.

5 Likes

I can’t hear you over the sound of hitting the ceiling light.

5 Likes

Nice! A much better setup for recording and yeah I agree completely that upgrading audio interfaces can make a big difference.

4 Likes

Those have a really nice layout. Makes a lot more sense than most DAI’s out there.

3 Likes

Layout is something I think Zoom nailed with the U-24/44. I really loved having all the cabling on top, like a mixer.

My SSL2 has everything on the back, which looks good but is not ideal. Same goes for the ones with everything on the front, except the “looks good” part :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Congrats @T_dub on getting a VTBass DI. You will not regret it.

You are correct, I will not sell mine. I have sold all my pedals and my pedalboard, and the VTBass is all I use (I have a Zoom B3n, but rarely use it). I don’t even consider my VTBass a pedal, as I have it sitting atop my cab, and right next to my amp head and DAI. I leave it on at all times and just make minor adjustments as needed. It’s more of an extension to my amp than a pedal.

5 Likes

have you tried making it the Pre-Amp for your amp? Run a line out the FX loop on the back of your amp, to the VT pedal, and back into he FX return. Then use the FX blend to blend in the Pre-amp. It will bypass your Fender Rumble Pre-amp, and turn the Vt bass into the Pre-amp.
I have not tried this in practice, but it works in theory. You may be amazed with the results, and you might not think its that big a deal, but it sure is worth a try.

4 Likes

Maybe, I am not sold on tuners on pedal boards when you can get them so many other places, just as fast and accurate. , but I like the looks of a PolyTune and somebody has one for $80 on Offer up. wonder if they would take $60-$65??

4 Likes

The Fender Rumble amps don’t have an effects blend.

For the Rumble, go Bass to VT Bass DI to Effect Return.

If you do try it @PamPurrs I would be interested to hear what you think. It will probably sound very different on its own and require some new EQing.

I’m pretty sure using it this way will skip the headphone out and DI on the Rumble. It would be interesting to see if anything coming in from the AUX connection still goes through also.

5 Likes

Of course! That’s how I have always had it setup. Is there other way? After all, it’s designed to be a pre-amp.

3 Likes

I just sold mine for $65 a few weeks ago, check talkbass, that seems to be the going rate over there.

1 Like

If it did it would be blending in the amp preamp with the VT preamp, which would be kinda odd for this application anyway. The VT has a blend for dry/wet anyway so this is not needed.

It would be interesting to see your thoughts on doing this @PamPurrs, which takes the amp’s preamp out of the equation all together. My amp’s preamp is as clean as can be, so I doubt there would be any difference.

4 Likes

That’s the way I have always had it setup. The dials on my amp head are impotent (other than the output volume), as every thing is controlled by the pre-amp (VTBassDI). I often don’t even turn the amp on, and just practice using the studio monitors.

4 Likes

Here’s the thing about tuners, the more accurate tuners you have the more obsessed you’ll become with pitch accuracy. I was ok with clip on til I tried more accurate tuners. The one that is on my GT-1B is just terrible to my surprise.

3 Likes

All that stuff is safe. It’s downstream of the effects return. Everything on the top row of the diagram gets skipped.

4 Likes

Notably, the Master Volume :rofl:

4 Likes

Yes, you just reminded me of why I don’t do it that way anymore. I had to take another look at my setup after my last comment, and I actually don’t have it going through the effects loop anymore, mainly for that reason.
However, the way I have it setup, I still don’t use any of the setting on the amp head, I only use output volume. The VTBass DI works just fine the way I have it.

1 Like

Sorry, it was not clear this is what you were doing, it kind of sounded like you had it sitting on top of your amp, plugged the bass into it, and the VT into the amp, then played.
And there is nothing wrong with doing it that way either, it is just you are doubling pre-amp coloring that way, but if you like that sound you get, by all means go for it. If you want just the VT for the coloration, then run it thru a FX loop that bypasses the onboard preamp, and you get just the SVT for coloring (with whatever else you have, active preamp on bass will color it a little, as will some other pedals, but if in tru bypass, its just your bass prep (If active) and the SVT.

4 Likes