GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

I won’t know what model it is until tomorrow but Terry at Guitar Junkyard has an Ibanez for $100. I may make it into a project bass., I’m also keeping an eye on an eBay auction of a Stingray…right now it’s below $100 with 6 days to go

2 Likes

Same here.

This is one of my life’s biggest regrets… In college I had collected over 2,000 albums, and carted them from dorm room to dorm room, apartment to apartment. Then did the dumb thing…sold them all and bought them on CD (albeit a lot less of them) all for the sake of sound clarity. I should have just put them in my mom’s basement, as now, finally having a music room / home office of my own, I decorate the walls with all my most influential albums, and have re-bought over 100 of the most meaningful.

I am digging Caroline, will watch all her stuff in order after poking into the White Album one.

13 Likes

I did that and her basement flooded, ruining all of my albums.

1 Like

3 Likes

Well, as a Mom, I’d dearly love to get rid of stuff in my basement from three sons. Maybe it will take a flood. But, two sons are currently living with me in these times.

In a related vein, I also used to miss my own cough GAS cough comic book collection from over 55 years ago, which did not make the trip when my family moved from NY to VA. It was all DC comics as I dimly recall: Superboy, Supergirl, Superman, Lois Lane, Batman, also Mad Magazines. . . my kids don’t relate if it isn’t Marvel, though, and never got into comics themselves. Now I’m at that stage of getting rid of stuff. Albums will be left to my youngest son, the others don’t care about them.

8 Likes

You will like her reactions to “Tomorrow Never Knows,” “Good Morning Good Morning,” “Glass Onion,” and some others.

2 Likes

Soon going to be rocking some old school synth with this bad boy :smiley:

14 Likes

:scream: as advertised by Rolf Harris :joy:

6 Likes

:open_mouth: :laughing:

4 Likes

Is that the thing the Beatles were noodling with in Get Back?

3 Likes

John @John_E

I still can’t get over what a great “man cave” you’ve got there! :slight_smile: . . . :+1:

How did you get all those album covers to line up so well? Did you use one of those laser levels or what? When I was married, my wife always criticized my picture hanging abilities.

She said I had a “crooked eye” :rofl:

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Crooked and me do not get along.
I have built food and beverage factories in my career and can see a crooked pipe across the room.
I drafted all the walls in AutoCAD then did some “goesintos” to figure out how many albums fit on each wall.
I have an app called ‘Tapeulator” that is a calculator that works in fractions of inches and you can divide etc which makes figuring out the spaces between a snap.

6 Likes

Oh . . . :thinking:

But how did you do it? Make marks on the walls along each row of covers? etc.

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

My God I think you may be right !

4 Likes

Sorry. Realized I didn’t actually answer your question. Once I had my “grid layout I centered it on each wall in AutoCAD. Then found the measurement from one corner to the first “hook” point.
I marked a 4’ level with my grid spacing and went to town vertically and horizontally double checking each with the other. Mark 3 points from the first, move level over. Repeat for weeks.

6 Likes

Well it came out looking great, @John_E . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

I ended up buying the Ibanez Gio (I’ll post pictures later) for $100 from Terry, but it almost didn’t happen. When I got to the Guitar Junkyard this morning, I walked in and water was pouring down from the ceiling right above his counters (both sides of the aisle). He had a pipe burst last night and it’s flooding the store. Most of the vintage guitars and basses he had very well might be ruined now. I had to get to work but I offered to help him move them to the back part where his workshop is but he said he’d take care of it. I felt so bad for him…that’s 42 years of hard work and collecting that very well might be down the drain.

3 Likes

Where he is standing in the 2nd picture of the 4 in the middle of the page (with the logo) is where his counters are. You can see them to either side…that’s where the water is coming in.

3 Likes

When did Howard Stern put out an album? :laughing:

DC was my comic of choice as well, although I did like Spiderman and Fantastic Four.

1 Like