GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Here is your daily enabling, pedalheads. IK’s newsletter had a thing to get a discounted bundle of their X-series pedals:

All four ends up being $920. $280 for one, $460 for two, etc. You can demo their sounds for free via their installer and Amplitube CS. I have X-Drive plugin for free from their newsletter but have yet to even try it myself lol… just a sale I thought I’d pass on… these pedals were $300 and are now $330.

They are also freaking massive

2 Likes

I can get behind that one. But I already bought my 50th bday bass.
Maybe after I flip the Yamaha SBV-550

3 Likes

When you go to restring a $1250 Korean-made guitar and the nut f’ing falls off. That tends to cool the GAS a bit…

The last time this happened was on a cheap plywood j bass copy. I was young and dumb and laughed about it then, and used it to bend notes…

I guess Sweetwater’s 55 point inspection missed something :eyes: (to be fair, it’s a reverse headstock and the 1st string exits it at an extreme angle toward the tuner. That’s a good amount of sideways tension. now to figure out the best way to glue it on, likely superglue… or not “You shouldn’t glue it really. The nut should be a tight enough fit that it doesn’t need gluing, it shouldn’t move at all once the strings are on. It can’t hurt to put a very thin layer of medium strength glue on, something like Uhu. Don’t super glue it or epoxy glue it or anything like that.” lol…)

2 Likes

Some mfg’s dont glue the nut, it’s a thing.
Don’t necessarily agree it’s a good thing, but a thing.

2 Likes

I didn’t glue it on. I put the outer two strings on, then a couple more plains, then worked on the rest of the inner strings, and then slowly tuned it up, all the while fighting a wiggly nut until I was getting to pitch/tension on all the strings lol

It doesn’t move, now, and to be sure I did some extremely harsh bends.

It looks like there was glue there either way. I normally don’t take all the strings off at once, but I wanted to clean/condition the fretboard. It’s the only gd instrument that doesn’t have fret sprout going on and I wanted to get some oil in there :joy:

Then I lost track of time jamming the fuck out with Bias FX 2’s “Infernal Cowboys” preset :smile:

2 Likes

Any reason? I actually prefer bolt-ons but could do a neck-through. It’s not such a big difference either way, not sure why you would avoid a bolt-on or set neck.

1 Like

Why? It’s totally normal :slight_smile:

The strings hold the nut down, not glue. You should use as little glue as possible, or (as you saw) none. I like to use a little out of convenience. No more than a tiny dot to tack it in place though. If that.

4 Likes

I haven’t had a nut fall off since my terribad j bass copy, so I was a bit taken aback at first… It was a slight adventure restringing it and fighting the nut wanting to slide all around XD

3 Likes

Yeah I think it surprises people but it’s really common. I would use no glue if I wasn’t lazy. It is convenient to tack the thing in place though.

But the strings are what keep it there, even if it is glued.

3 Likes

Boh talked about bolt on necks once, he prefers them, because if something needs to be serviced you can do it easily or replace the neck. I was a neck through guy until I read that and it made me look at it differently

3 Likes

Bolt-ons nearly always weigh less than neck-through, and despite the myth around them, I haven’t noticed a tone difference in playing around with them. So for me they are just needless added weight.

Kind of like the tonewood argument for body construction really :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think it will become immediately apparently why the nut moved on this one when taking all the strings off :eyes:

ESP: What do you mean, straight from nut to tuner? All the kids these days love fan frets, and so have some fanned strings!

(yes I am aware reverse headstocks have been a thing for a very long time lol…)

And here we see straight and godly as all good things should be:

(it also happens to be the last instrument I took all the strings off at once on. which I might do again to get more oil into that fretboard without soaking the strings in it lol)

6 Likes

Yeah totally. Even if glued, the side force of taking the strings off asymmetrically there might be enough to break the glue :slight_smile:

I do this every time. I find the myths around this being bad to be really amusing.

2 Likes

Neck thru with the best tone wood . It’s the best @howard :wink::disguised_face:

2 Likes

I have two guitars with floating tremolos that I do not take all the strings off at once XD I think I could on the Ibanez, though; it has some sort of compensator for strings breaking. Or just block the trem first if something is handy.

I’ve left strings off instruments for days before. The only precaution I take when restringing is I get all the strings on there and then bring them all up to pitch a bit at a time, but I have absolutely no idea if this is needed or not, it’s just how I do it. I actually like changing strings, though. I’ll have to retune as more and more tension comes onto the neck anyway.

2 Likes

I think that might actually be the best way to store them.

Yeah for sure, or for things like tune-o-matic bridges.

1 Like

oops… :eyes:

though it says “locking Tune-o-matic bridge” so I have no idea.

3 Likes

As long as it’s fixed and not one of the floating ones held on by strings you’re good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yeah I literally just read they can come off and get put on backwards lol. But that also the “correct” orientation is intonation screws facing the neck, which I actually noted while just looking it over, so I guess no harm, no foul here (Edit I also just discovered because I was staring at that pic, I played the guitar for like half an hour without the 6th string seated properly lol. didn’t even notice…)

Unrelated, I just also randomly discovered an article with a bass that has pickups that look like the Talking Bass guy’s, they’re called Sims Super Quads. Kinda like Fluences, I guess; they can change to P, J, MM voicings, etc.

3 Likes

I believe @John_E has a bass with sims

3 Likes