GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Sorry, spelled it wrong, I changed it in the other post.

Benssica.
Same seller has another one called
Kapok
The Kapoc Is beautiful. Looks like it would play like a dream.

Kapoc first, well cuz, it’s drop dead…
Benssica is the blue one after.

image image image

Benssica next. Very nice itself.
I have seen another, but can’t find it.

image image image

I am not looking to buy either of these. Posting mainly for information.
I have not found any, and was curious if anybody knows anything about either of these brands?

4 Likes

That Kapoc is an absolute beauty :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

5 Likes

Yeah, the Kapoc looks amazing.

4 Likes

So, I was able to find the original price list for that Stingray 34, which is fro, 2009-2013 it looks like.

So, um, yeah, if it’s in good shape, I don’t see how I could pass, especially if he takes $250… idk, I have not talked price yet.

4 Likes

Not that I expect it has held full value. But it is a nice little bass.

3 Likes

Certainly looks in good condition from the photo and seems a good buy at $300 or less :+1:

3 Likes

It’s Kapok, and it’s Chinese.
Apparently, some of their stuff is meh, but they also seem to have some good stuff.
This one looks nice, but solely based on the picture, I was unable to find more information on it.

4 Likes

Exactly. I have no interest in it other then it’s pretty, and we’re talking about some unknown brands.

Thanks for the info.
Anything on that other one? Benssica? I couldn’t find anything, except direction back to this add.

3 Likes

Seems to be a Chinese manufacturing brand.
“The original equipment manufacturer or OEM business has kept growing at a high rate. Zheng is determined to build an own brand called Benssica and develop original high value-added products.”
Link to quoted article

4 Likes

Thank you @Krescht

2 Likes

Considering that was roughly 3 years ago, and this is the only thing we could find on those instruments, I have to wonder if that is still a plan, being that the overall numbers from that sector has had to have grown since then, yet they are still from what I can tell, largely unknown still. ???

2 Likes

There are some more pictures available online, like this one, a showcase model for NAMM2019
https://images.app.goo.gl/L8inKGosNjbj5WwEA
But I’d think that they are not really present on the market, except maybe in Asia. It’s hard to make yourself some space on the music market.

2 Likes

Ha! @T_dub - I loved my Hondo Flying-V copy, as a counterpoint. Sold it when I thought I was going to be a serious jazz person.
Have regretted it ever since.

4 Likes

They both look awesome @T_dub
Cheers Brian

1 Like

Yeah, but neither is on my GAS list.
The Stingray34 is on top, followed by a Peavey, but not the one shown, a new one popped up, that I am sure I can get for $300 or less.

It is way closer to the Peavey I want, which is the Cirrus like @JoshFossgreen, or the millennium looks nice too. But then this showed up, and the wood and build is very similar to Josh’s. Boys shape a little different, pick ups a little different, but it’s the beautiful wit, with multi pc neck thru.

It’s a Grind NTB, it’s on the list at top next to the Ray34. If I play both, and they are in great shape and I like them, I have a way to make it work, by moving 2 Basses to both, pay for them, and make room.
Here is The Peavey, I already posted the Ray34, so not gonna put up anymore photos til it’s mine and I take them.

After those on the list is a Spector. Never played one, and am eager to. I have seen some other good deals pass by, cuz when the price is good, they move pretty fast around here. I know it’s a good brand, but gotta play it and see if I like. The second one is a Spector 4 DLX. Can’t find many like it on reverb. There are a lot with P/J pick ups, but not many like this. Seems to start at around $400 in great shape and go up to $700-$800 for mint to new.
But that’s just my limited reverb search. It looks awesome, waiting for directions so I can go check it out. It’s listed for $200 with gig bag. Seems to be a fair deal at the very least.

Idk much about the Peavey valuation, but Based on neck thru Cirrus Peaveys, that go for $700 and up in good condition, I am guessing $300 for this grind is a pretty fair deal.

Peavey Grind NTB

Spector 4 DLX

5 Likes

Both look decent basses but my preference would lean towards the Peavey . Having said that I would want to try them both before committing as you have said.
There’s a massive difference to prices with you than over here and so much more choice too :scream:

4 Likes

I think Spectors are super cool, but I’m a Warwick owner so of course I do :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Are the two connected?
Have you played a Spector similar to this?

Now you mention it, the headstock are pretty similar.

There is a RB Corvette for sale, looks awesome, but he wants to trade for an American or MIM tele or $650 cash

3 Likes

Pics.
Idk about value vs price here.

4 Likes

Actually the headstocks are the most different part most likely :slight_smile:

Warwick was founded to make a high quality, hand made, more available clone of the Spectors. (There’s more to the story than that but that’s the basic gist).

The Warwick Streamer LX is pretty much a close cousin of the Spector 4LX.

They also make other models like the 'vette and Thumb of course. But the Streamer was basically their take on the Spector.

Some nice advantages of the Warwicks over the Spectors - the Warwick bridges and nuts are the best I have ever seen on any bass. Spectors have a lot of cool factor though.

6 Likes