GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

I just listened to Tosin Abasi and Javier Reyes demo their respective Fishman pickup sets.

I have switched from Team Abasi to Team Reyes for replacing the Legator Hives in my N8FP guitar. I think the Hives sound pretty good, too, certainly useable and I’m recording with them currently. But yeah :eyes:

2 Likes

I’ve just advertised my Les Paul and Classic guitar locally.
If/when they sell, it’ll free up some space that’ll need filling! :wink:

11 Likes

Love the color on Les Paul and definitely love the fingerboard on the classical.

5 Likes

Always loved the shape of a Les Paul, and that blue is just marvelous.

5 Likes

Gibson call it Manhattan Midnight.
It’s :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Ugh. The things you find on Reverb during late night searching

1000000075 (400×400)

A Stinger, 50s custom pup used by Sting and Dusty, a stacked pup so no noise

please cut my internet someone

16 Likes

If you want a boutique hand wound bass pickup with my name on it (or at least some of my name).

I put two 50’s single coil p-bass pickups in my tele and they are the dogs spherical appendages.
Sting doesn’t need the money.

5 Likes

If it’s not stupidly expensive, I say jump on it.

Also, it’s too bad Rio Grande doesn’t make a Tele bass pup. They should. And it would be great.

5 Likes

I can’t believe you haven’t bought it yet. Obviously I think you should :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

I have a Fulla model. Its hilarious, when connected to my Mac the device appears as 'I’m Fulla Schiit"

5 Likes

Or you could try the True Custom shop like I have. It is cheap at $49.00 and as far as I can tell, no noise at all. It sounds wonderful pushed just a bit.

4 Likes

I have 3 50s p-basses, well two and a tele (don’t ask)

I have a Fralin 50s split coil pickup

Also have a True Custom Shop 51 P pup

and on the way a Duncan Stinger

I think I will put the Fralin back in the Squier, I know it sounds good.

The True Customs will go in the Warmoth Tele

Stinger in the D5

At least that’s a plan

4 Likes

The way they work their name in everywhere is just great. And I love their tiny manuals.

4 Likes

Yesssss! That’ll be a killer. Congrats!

3 Likes

I’ve always preferred the Les Paul style of guitar rather than say a strat or a tele. I have never had a Gibson though. I have a Yamaha SG700S which has a double cut away and despite the name, more like a Les Paul than a Gibson SG… An Eppiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus and a PRS 594 double cut. Oh man the colour on that one is just beautiful!

4 Likes

Lots of talk on here about changing the pickups. Something I have never done on bass or guitar. Tempting to give it a try but wary of falling down yet another rabbit hole!

8 Likes

Some reasons to swap pickups

• The bass itself has a lot of potential. But the sound is meh.

I recently picked up a Tele bass which sounded like a baritone guitar. No low end at all. So swap the pickup. Quality bass otherwise

• Aftermarket pickup you want in your arsenal. I have a Delano precision pickup with bug poles, but it doesn’t come on a bass. There are some really good pickups that do not come from a bass manufacturer, some of the best.

• there’s a particular sound you want. I have a LTD Stream 204, basically a $500 bass. What I want is an ESP Stream, a $3k or $4k bass. For around $300 I put the exact same pickups and EQ in my Stream and that gets me very close for a cost that fits my budget.

Bonus personal reason - you hate 60 cycle hum. I personally get annoyed by hum, so I have a couple basses I otherwise love, and swapped out the pickups for models that eliminate hum. Like on my Paranormal Jazz. And Squier 50s P.

12 Likes

Did you end up with Fralins in your Paranormal?

3 Likes

I’m planning to put the xtender P quad on my dark night professional II. I’m hoping that it would be big enough to cover the entire standard p pickup so it would not leave any trace of the stand pickups cavity or cut out from the Pickguard. I might try that on my Squier first.

6 Likes

No, I have Seymour Duncan Apollos in the Paranormal

2 Likes