GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

I know of a MarkBass that I could get for probably $80. Its been for sale for over a year, listed at $100. Even at $100, I could probably double my money on Reverb, and at $80 it would be way worth it,

But I fear I will fall in love with it too, and then have a 4th compressor on my board. And that is a BIG tube driven compressor, so fitting it in the mix on the board would be very hard. I would have to drop a couple others probably.

4 Likes

I have to say, right now, if I decided to only keep two of the three compressors I have right now, that I would end up selling the Boss BC-1X

4 Likes

keeping the MS-60b?

5 Likes

Good question. This will come down to space.
I could still use it for Amp and Cab Sims, or if I ever wanted to use a delay. And I have not committed to getting a Phaser yet, so I might use it for that, for now and decide if I want a phaser later.

4 Likes

I removed
Bass Big Muff
Zoom B1-Four

I am adding
Bass Big Muff Deluxe
DarkGlass Alpha Omega Ultra
Flamma Reverb
NU>X Loop Core
Keeley Bassist and / or Boss BC-1x

I have a big board, but there is still a limit to space.

4 Likes

The B1on’s phasers and flangers were good but noisy IIRC; MS-60b is probably the same (as it is the same generation of Zoom). The ones on the B1four and B3n were better for that IMO. One place your noise gate might pay off.

4 Likes

I have not tried them, and honestly, I have not played much with the ones on the B1-four or B1x-four.
I don’t have the B1-four anymore, but I do have the B1x-four, so I could compare it to the MS-60B.

I do like the MS-60b, and I would use multiple of them for certain effects, if they were not so expensive, and didn’t require 500ma. you can really only use one per power brick.
I have 2 bricks, and used both the 500ma in the last build, one for the B1-four and one for the MS-60b.

Most the rest of my pedals only require 100ma, but my brick is all 300ma, so I am set there. I do have a pedal or 2 that require higher then 100ma, 150ma to be exact IIRC, but like I said, my brick is all 300ma, so that is fine. but only one 500ma per brick, so this is a reason I built around the MS-60b instead of trying to keep it and get others.

If they run single effects (and they do some effects quite good) with nothing else in the chain, or with just the ZNR, so a 2 pedal chain, then they don’t use too much processing power and can hold their own.
But if you use effects plus amp / cab sims, the processing is much higher, and then you don’t get good results with multiple MS-60b.

I think just one will be OK if ONLY running an AMP and CAB sim on it.

3 Likes

Both the phasers and flangers I tried were good for the actual effect, but I remember the flanger having that distinctive flanger noise that noisy ones get (sounds like a low level, constant background filter sweep).

That’s not unusual, it happens with real flangers too, especially cheap ones.

4 Likes

So far, I am not really into playing with a Flanger.
I like the Phaser better, but I will admit, I don’t now how to use either effect that good yet. That said, the end results I hear others play with Phasers, I like more then with flangers.
Also, if I were to add a pedal, it would either be a cheaper, MXR Phaser copy, or the Source Audio Lunar Phaser. if I go up to the SA, then It could be a flanger too, but not sure if I would ever use it that way.
I have no plans to add a flanger.

4 Likes

Yeah, I like phasers better too.

All three of the main modulations - phaser, flanger, and chorus, are related but distinct, and for me, it’s definitely:

chorus >> phaser > flanger

3 Likes

Agree, heavily leaned towards Chorus, a bit to Phasers, and not too much on flanger

4 Likes

@howard does Ochanomizu have amp stores or pedal stores or does each one have some of everything?

3 Likes

Many of them are multifloor stores with everything. Most of the pictures I posted are just the bass annexes or floors of larger shops. Some have 5-6 floors.

Others are smaller (like the ESP custom shop) and some of the used shops are outlets for the multifloor stores in different smaller storefronts.

And there are many tiny boutique stores.

This is looking down the main street:

The silver building a block in on the left with the “クロサワ楽器” sign is Kurosawa Gakki, my favorite for eye candy, with their bass annex:

The overall store is like 6 floors. Almost bought a tube screamer there once.

Kurosawa is more or less in the middle, music stores go another block or two after that, and maybe one to each side, but are mostly on this main street.

5 Likes

This totally triggered Tokyo nostalgia. I hadn’t really thought about it in a lot of years. It’s almost impossible to describe in a way that people understand because I’ve never seen anything like it, where there are entire neighborhoods filled with anything you could dream of on almost any topic I still use the backpacking camp stove I bought In Ikebukuro. I’ve spent many hours in Akihabara getting every piece of computer gear I could think of for unreal prices. If I could pick anything for dinner tomorrow night I’d go for Yakitori under the tracks in the Ginza. Maybe I need to post pics of that in the BBQ thread! I wasn’t playing when I spent time there, so I missed out on the music scene. Applying how I know it is there I am so jealous. You just must be in gear heaven !!!

7 Likes

It’s really incredible.

And oh man I hear you, I love the yokocho for food like that. Nothing quite like it, stall after stall of awesome little food shops.

That one in Ginza/Yurakucho is especially famous for yakitori.

I usually take visitors to Ebisu Yokocho. It’s just fun.

https://favy-jp.com/topics/1144

5 Likes

Maybe @Jamietashi,
Depends where Howard takes,:+1:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

i’m not really a big world traveller even though my whole family is. how hard is it for english speaking people to visit, sounds really cool.

6 Likes

I was in Japan for 6 weeks in 1977 in a small town called Tsu and nearly everyone with the exception of the really old folks wanted to practice their English lol @itsratso

5 Likes

@Mac’s right, it’s true. People are proud of their ability to speak other languages here, and if they do, they will usually go out of their way to try it out on you.

It’s very very easy here as an english-speaking tourist, at least compared to other countries in Asia. In Tokyo especially, lot of signage is in English, lots of people speak some, and the city is used to catering to English speaking tourists. Western fashions and culture are also looked highly upon here for some reason (unbelievably, given the levels of dumbfuckerry we routinely exhibit, but it’s true :slight_smile:), and so in general people are very friendly and polite to tourists.

7 Likes

Yeah, same, but its more of a finance thing, if I could travel the world, and not worry about money spent, that would be great.
I would love to just keep moving from place to place, and my mom traveled Europe like that when she was young, but it is way harder to do that with todays economy and finances. I did travel more when I was younger too, but then kids, and the 3 extra airline seats, and the size rooms you need to get, forget about it.
I did take them on yearlly trips when they were little, but it was like DisneyWorld, or Brekenridge Colorado.
I have only ever been outside the USA a few times, Mexico a lot, Canada once and Jamaica.

4 Likes