GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Ok, I am still confused, if I have headphones on, plugged into my DAI, all I am hearing is the Bass, you are saying that the sound from the DAW will go back thru the USB and I can hear it from the DAI?
Of course I can try it to see, but is this what you are saying? Stupid I never thought to try it that way.
If this is the case, is there latency from what the computer is playing back to the DAI and what I am hearing?

1 Like

To get the sound to play back through the DAI, you need to set it as your output device on your computer. You can probably also do this in GB.

The latency that Direct Monitoring avoids is caused by the computer and the USB interface more so than the DAI. Basically, without direct monitoring, you don’t hear your bass until it has gone in to the computer, been processed, and sent back out the audio.

With direct monitor, you hear it immediately.

I should note this is just what I do. If what you are doing is working for you, you don’t need to change.

1 Like

Ok, I just tried it, interesting I never thought of it that way, I kind of blanked out on that.
makes sense, I kept wondering why you would want the headphones on the DAI to only hear the vocals of instrument. But being new to recording I was just thinking that must be what they are focusing on when recording, their voice or instrument, kind of like having an ear pc in when you are playing live, to hear your instrument.

Don’t worry at all, this is all complicated and what’s important is finding what works for you!

2 Likes

Yeah, I just feel like an idiot not making that connection :crazy_face: :rofl:
Looking back it makes more sense this way then if it were the other way.
I kept wondering why my sound would auto select the DAI as the output device too, I was like, “No” I need to hear it from the computer.

Gives me a hell of a lot more cable from the Zoom to my head as it did the computer to my head.

Yeah, this will work just fine. Also, helps when picking my next DAI, the size and convenience to where the headphone jack is.

2 Likes

Man, this guy is killing me.
If it were the Black Ash one, I would have bought it already.
I am not really wanting this color, but what a smoking deal.
If anybody wants a GREAT price on a BRAND NEW (basically, he bought it for a review and now is selling it) Sterling Stingray Ray34, that retails for $799, I can’t remember, here is one for $499 plus $50 ship.
And I bet if you offered $450 plus $50 ship, for and even $500 he would take it.
Somebody, please buy it before I do. I only really want the Black Ash one, or a MM
Although this Natural Ash is sexy AF too.

https://reverb.com/item/35986743-sterling-ray34-natural

3 Likes

Loving that natural wood but I’m spent up after buying this tonight

3 Likes

Thats not GAS, its HP, Hay powered. LOL.

I used to ride a Belgium named Hay Burner. LOL. Back when I was a kid.

2 Likes

I’m looking videos about Darkglass gear right now. that’s dangerous.

5 Likes

Very dangerous… :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

After all the money I spent on gear in September, I’m staying away from any temptation for awhile, at least for a month.
I shouldn’t even be in this thread.

6 Likes

yeah that’s a slippery slope

5 Likes

Love that natural on the Ray

3 Likes

So many good products. Nice of them to make them so expensive you have to choose carefully :rofl:

3 Likes

Okay, me too . . .

It is exactly what i was looking for. A mobile device for practicing. But now the next GAS attac already takes place . . .

5 Likes

Damn. That Element is a really nice piece of kit.

3 Likes

Yes @eric.kiser indeed and i already did a lesson with Josh on my iPad via BT and i am very pleased :grinning:

4 Likes

Expensive taste :joy:

6 Likes

I keep it with Oscar Wilde: my taste is simple, always the best :joy:

6 Likes

NBD for me!!! Been wanting a P Bass as I just felt like something was missing from my J Bass and MAN I AM HAPPY!

14 Likes