GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Sweeeeeeet

6 Likes

The Sterling (SBMM) Stingray is just called the Short Scale.
If you go with the standard scale you have
Ray4 - $299 (Used $150 - $250)
Ray24 - $499 (Used ? have not seen many - maybe $450)
Ray34 - $699 to $899. (Used $450 - $700)
Short Scale - $550 (Used $350 per @itsratso)

If you want the short scale, that is what you should get.

If not, I highly recommend the Ray4
The Ray24, IMO is barely an upgrade to the Ray4, and in some cases, it could have been cheaper to make - it is a marketing thing, however, they are still very good basses, and have a couple really stand out colors. I just don’t think the cost justifies what they are offering, but if you do want a couple of things that are on this bass, then it is still not a bad buy.
The Ray34 is way more like a EBMM bass, and since 2018, they use the electronics that were in the EBMM Stingray Classic (pre 2018), they are just not built in the USA.

Note that the Ray 4 and Ray24 have a thinner jazz like neck (1.5" at the nut) and the Ray34 has more of a Stingray neck or modern P neck (1.69 at the nut)
I think you will be fine with the larger neck since you played 5’s, but if you are enjoying the shorter basses, then you may prefer the thinner J neck.

I believe the Short Scale is also 1.5 at the nut, so the thinner version.

10 Likes

Thanks @T_dub that’s the information I need to begin my window shopping. :money_with_wings:

7 Likes

mmm maybe :grin:

sorry pam, i thought you meant the short scale only and there is no model numbers for them, there’s only one. well, technically it’s in 2 colors.

4 Likes

I’ve not been paying attention. What happened to the upright? Sold that too?

4 Likes

Yes I sold that quite some time ago.

(Yes, I admit to being a bit capricious)

4 Likes

Thought it was in 3 or 4 colors now

Ok, its 3 colors, but that new one is pretty sick.

3 Likes

That really IS a TRUE P/J. Very cool, I like the minimalist pick guard.

3 Likes

Pickups remind me of Tetris.

5 Likes

@T_dub yeah, most P/J’s only have the one jazz p/u at the bridge. But you already know that! LOL

Just wanted to acknowledge your comment and stick around the forums a little longer…

5 Likes

Yeah, take off your coat and grab a seat.

3 Likes

Thanks @T_dub Toby, I just put a white one in my shopping cart at GC.

@itsratso is this the one you have?

6 Likes

You’ll need to change your forum name to “JPJHaggerty” :rofl: But seriously, what is that? Tell us/me a little bit more about it!

Edit: never mind, just saw your posts in the “Show us your basses” thread. Cool instrument!

6 Likes

No worries! Here’s the link to wikipedia, which talks about the basses more succinctly than I can. LOL

5 Likes

I have the blue one of those, yes.

5 Likes

Are you pleased with it? Do you recommend it?

4 Likes

yes, I really love it. so much that I think about trading up for the ernie ball version of it :+1:

6 Likes

Yikes that’s quite a difference in price, but I’m sure it would be worth it.

4 Likes

Funny thing, GC has them for $504.00 and the used ones on Reverb are listed for $519 and $549 plus shipping.

5 Likes

I’m not as sure :joy: but they are pretty

5 Likes