GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

The handmades just look fantastic.

7 Likes

Being that it is sort of a novelty bass for me (not that it is a toy by any means, but I see it being more of as part of my collection than a daily bass.
For that reason, and the upgrade possibilities, making it similar to a Ray4, for what it is (unique shape and neck, decent built, with lots of potential upgrade pups and preamps), I would end up this route.
Although I never say never, it would all depend on actually getting one of the MTD’s in my hand, and seeing if that made a difference.
I have had several opportunities to get Toby basses, including one at the local Guitar and Pawn shop, where I played one for a while, and have not pulled the trigger either.
Maybe some day, a project for the collection, but the more budget friendly project.

4 Likes

Yeah it would probably be a really fun upgrade project.

3 Likes

:heart_eyes: love it!

4 Likes

GAS strikes again. We’ll see if I keep this one, trigger pulled. They will be sending it out in 3 weeks:

Until then, it’s project bass DIY and p-clone playtime.

5 Likes

These guys are really creative!

Gamechanger Bigsby

3 Likes

I will admit, that Matte Black on the HB with black all over, including the back of the neck, does look AMAZING.
I hear it is a pretty good bass also.
It has the look, for sure.

This is a great option for those that want a cheap stingray WITH the fatter Stingray neck, instead of the SBMM Ray4 with the Jazz like neck

2 Likes

Exactly my thinking.

3 Likes

Yeah no way would my first 'ray be an EBMM. That’s a lot of cheese to drop on something you may not like as much as you expected.

Plus it gives a great upgrade path to start on a Sterling and work up :slight_smile:

This is why I wish there was a Sterling Bongo.

3 Likes

Oh, yeah. I’d be all over that like flies around a nice fresh cowpat :smiley: I’d love one.

4 Likes

I was super unimpressed with the Ray4 before I hacked it up, but @T_dub always says that pickup has to go, and he was right. The rest of the bass is solid and I really like the neck / body with the Sims pickups.

However, my EBMM is, IMO, in a completely different league and just amazing. I can’t find a single gripe about it.

3 Likes

I never played a Bongo.
I wonder if they could do it justice?
I am sure if they go to the top SBMM line like the Ray34, then maybe, but at the Ray4 price point, I am not so sure they could pull it off.

Also, it would also take away from the exclusivity of the Bongo IMO, AND if BMW has any royalties, licensing fees, or say so about the Bongo, it might not even be possible.

That said, I would AT THE VERY LEAST, look at getting one of the lower line onex and see what all the fuss is about.

3 Likes

How about a sterling cutlass?

2 Likes

Heck, it would be nice to see the EBMM Cutlass back.

Can’t wait to see your Cutlass builds complete. Hope they were not waiting on Hipshot hardware :rofl:

2 Likes

Man it’s all about the pickguard lol

4 Likes

Yeah, but they are gonna look so cool.
I really can’t wait to hear one.

3 Likes

When I saw the first picture I thought “Wow, that’s a clear pick guard!”
Then I realised :crazy_face:

3 Likes

they are. i’m pretty sure we’ll hear a bass demo for that soon, following…

2 Likes

Hey Al, @Al1885 , Check these out.

I love this company, Retro-Vibe for their 32" “TELENBACKER” Bass, and even the 30" Telecaster Bass. but I just found this there, must be sort of new.

The Barracuda

4A2AE58F-3634-4155-B82D-9C2CEE6296E1

They also make a '78 MM 2 band Preamp CLONE that works well with other MM 77 or 78 clone pick ups, which I think Tone Monster makes.

6 Likes

So, I’ve just received an email from a store to the effect that I have store credit/loyalty points that will expire in the coming months. It’s a use it or loose it type situation.

So I find myself in the situation where I don’t actually need anything but have a couple of ideas on what I could put the credit towards.

The credit is ballpark £55 / €65 / US$80 and I don’t mind topping it up to feed the G.A.S.

What would you spend my money on? :crazy_face:

6 Likes