GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Ty @JerryP, I will enjoy it, health or no. Haha😂

1 Like

This guy is making my life miserable.

This has been listed for about 3 months that I know of, when I first started tracking it, it had been on for 2 months IIRC.
It started at $250
Dropped to $200 about 2 months ago
Dropped to $189 about a month ago
Dropped to $150 over the weekend
Droppedto $130 today.

It’s not anything great. It’s just kind of a bucket Bass. My favorite guitar player for the most part was “Dimebag”, and this is the guitar he played. When I first started looking at Basses, I put it I’n my favorites. Just thinking “oh wouldn’t it be BAD ASS to have a “Dimebag” style bass!

And damn it, it has turned against me.
It has turned into one of those
“Somebody better hurry up and buy that”
Idk, it’s lame, but I like it. Probably more for art, to have, noodle on once in a while, hand it on the wall to look at. Haha, I need to just stop talking about it already.
Someone please buy it, cuz if he drops it to $100, I am toast.

3 Likes

This here - is MY weakness…(i’m having one built as we speak)

7 Likes

Sounds great.
Wood looks great.
The body shape is not for me but it’s still interesting.

Although I’m missing a bit of playing around with EQ settings. A bit like in this video: 5-STRING BASS SHOOTOUT - Peavey, Warwick, Music Man, Dingwall, Le Fay - YouTube
The video also contains my weakness but although I’m weak I’m not rich enough to give in to my desires. It’s the Le Fay Herr Schwarz. List price 3300€ and I found one person who sells a used one for 2000€. It’s still on there. I can’t believe no one snatched that away yet :smiley:

3 Likes

The Dingwall/Le Fay and Cirrus sound best too me - i owned a Cirrus - didn’t like the 35" scale though…i have a couple Dingwalls - sweet basses.
Never tried a Le Fay - look pretty sweet - I own a few Warwicks too, and yet, it sounds bad on the video - in real life, i love them (again, the nut reach ergonomics aren’t great).
Ya only live once man - enjoy life while you can, you’re a young guy - lots of time to pay it off. :wink:
(i’m not a good person to talk you OUT of gear)

2 Likes

As that may be there are more important things on my list that I would go into debt for. Namely a house or buying a flat large enough so my girlfriend and me can comfortably found a family without (too) much financial worries.

It feels like most of the people here have already accomplished that with a certain degree of success and if that were the case for me I… still wouldn’t go into debt. I don’t like it and think it helps me with managing money. Also if I keep debt-free in situations in which I comfortably can then I still have the option of making a debt in desperate times.

The one thing that actually might work is asking my mother if she would give it to me as a gift for birthday/christmas. The explanation to that can be found here. But that’s actually the reason I won’t ask. It would feel as unearned as I describe in the linked post.

3 Likes

yep - fair enough. Smart decisions

2 Likes

Hahaha, that should be a tag line for a few of us.
Like @PamPurrs, badass bass gal

@tdub, not the one to talk you out of GEAR AQUISITION

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Yeah, I have not gotten there, and do not ever plan too.

And, the guy with that Friggin Dean Dimebag Bass dropped it to $100. I am gonna break.

But there is solid reasoning behind it.
I have been trying to pick a bass to turn BEAD, but I don’t want to do it to any of my current line up. So this Bery metal style bass will be perfect to set up BEAD.
So there, that’s my reasoning, and I have convinced myself it’s solid :thinking::thinking:

Now watch, now I decided, it will be gone.

4 Likes

Go get it tiger!

2 Likes

Sounds like a bargain to me. I would too!

I anticipate this with Herr Schwarz.
Once I somehow got the money to buy the used one for 2k someone else will have done so. But as long as I don’t have the money the ad will stay online just to taunt me.

I don’t even know why I go on there once a day and check.

4 Likes

Because you have GAS. Resistance is futile!

3 Likes

Yes. I have. I admit it. I saw you in the support group :sweat_smile:
It’s not like I can actually acquire anything by looking at the Herr Schwarz ad. Guess it’s the GAS equivalent of someone on a diet looking at sweets and cakes.

2 Likes

I told him I want it, so should be locked up.

Right now tho, I have lesson with Josh in 6 min.

3 Likes

Hi @PamPurrs,
My impression is you are the go to gadget guru, I’m sure there are threads on here on what is a good value audio interface, I couldn’t be bothered sifting through, maybe time poor or lazy?
So can you provide a bit of feedback
Thanks in advance
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Maybe this post here helps: Recording Hardware "Beginner" Setup - #37 by juli0r
I made a comparison table a while ago - although you can go a bit cheaper if you’re content with only one input. I know you asked Pam but I saw an opportunity that my comparison table might be useful, okay? :smiley: Just scroll to the picture with the table in the post.

2 Likes

Thanks @juli0r,
I knew there would be some good folk happy to assist.
I did go to a shop in southMelbourne yesterday called sound factory to check them out and the cheapest they had in stock was 340aud
Will check it out when I get home from work.

Cheers Brian

3 Likes

I’m really not, but thank you. Although I have purchased quite a few gadgets I’m not the expert. There are quite a few people here with way more knowledge and expertise than I have on that subject.
The thread that @juli0r recommended is a good start. I posted a few comments on there about my Zoom U-44 and the Zoom U-22 that I recently sold, but I am in no way a guru on the matter.
Best wishes in your quest.

4 Likes

Oh my.

Someone should outbid me on that red TRBX I just bid €100 on.

8 Likes

Totally worth it! (Unless there is something wrong with this particular bass…)

4 Likes

The exact model and color I owned and a steal at that price, assuming there’s nothing wrong with it.

4 Likes