GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

You are not alone :raised_hands:

7 Likes

I hate decisions. My Surveyor 87 in Rainbow Crackle is still MIA. GC has a used one in white right now.

What to do, what to do. Really just venting.

3 Likes

I realise that I’m not the most patient person, but I know you’ve been after that Crackle one for a while.

I’d say give it a bit more, if there’s a reasonable chance it will show up. Taking the white one, you risk always thinking you took second best. My Steve Harris pups took 4 months.

That’s my three percent of a dollar.

4 Likes

I would totally wait for the crackle. I learned my “settling for color” lesson with the BB. Great bass, but brown burst is not for me.

6 Likes

So, I’m not sure the policy of posting sales around here, but I listed my Squier, my Ibanez, and my old Contello accordion on OfferUp. Look for TimsGeekery there.

If any of you are interested, hit me up and we can work a deal. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

We have a Reverb section where you can list your shop SAG - Selling Aquired Gear

4 Likes

Thanks @Paul. You beat me to it.

It doesn’t have to be Reverb though. It’s for links to wherever anybody is selling something.

4 Likes

Absolutely agree, @howard . . . if you’re not :100: happy with your bass, it will turn into a “dust gatherer” eventually :roll_eyes:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

I did not realize that. I thought it was for Reverb only. I’ll add the link over there right now! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Love that Dimension. I too am not a total Fender Fan Boy, but I do like the Dimension.
I guess I really am a Fender Fan Boy since he did the Stingray and G&L, but I would probably go for a G&L over a Fender any day. Even if it were just a P bass or Jazz bass. Their import Jazz bass has bound fretboard, which is pretty sick, and is actually now cheaper than the Squire Classic Vibe’s.
But I have always kept my eye out for a deal on a Dimension I couldn’t pass up.
Love the Cherry burst finish. It is literally one of the only bursts that I can jive with.

Same with @Al1885 , Love that bass and burst finish. the pics you texted me were insane. that fretboard and the whole neck and headstock are incredible.
What is the count on that one, 50 or 100 of them? Sometimes its an odd number like 103 or 52.
What number is yours?

4 Likes

Not quiet gear, but super cool.
I’ve been working with some of Constantine’s transcriptions and my ears are now picking up more and more errors and also seeing his scores don’t always match what he plays.

Of course we are feee to interpret a song any way we like, but some of these errors really bugged me as they were very key in the groove or baseline in general.

So…. I got this… every Beatles song there is with guitar and drums/keys

Highly accurate.
My o ly gripe is that the pages are a bit small and therefore a bit hard to read. But rewriting the bass only might be good execute for a few songs along with trying to sort by ear and check.

10 Likes

That is a fantastic book. It also has all the vocal harmonies as well as all or almost all the instrumental parts. It more a resource book than a “open up on the music stand” to play, though, for the reasons you note—It’s big with small print. But packed with useful information that you can transfer to more playable format.

2 Likes

I think they made 105.

2 Likes

I’m looking at used basses on eBay and I’m wondering something…why do Dean basses sell so low? At this point I’m looking for some projects under $200 and most of the Deans I’ve seen are way under that.

1 Like

Unless they are associated with Dimebag or another artist they really don’t get much attention so the demand is not there.

Most the models I have come across were made in Korea and were decent instruments. There was a J and a P model (I think one was called the Jaggernaut) that use to sell on Amazon a couple of years back for $250. They were on par with higher end Squiers and some MIM Fenders, construction wise. I do see some people trying to sell them today for $500+ but I think that’s wishful thinking.

I have also seen some very cheap Dean’s that are on par with black label Chinese Affinity Squiers. Good to play around with (mod and learn) but not well constructed. I have seen those go for $75.

4 Likes

A seller on eBay just offered to lower it to $130 for me…it’s an Edge model but the description doesn’t say any more about it.

3 Likes

@John_E, I’ve been watching an Australian young woman on YouTube (“Call Me Caroline”) who is doing “reaction” videos for all the Beatle albums, in order. She bought that Complete Scores book to help her with all the various instruments she hears in their songs, and refers to it in the videos.

She has just finished the second part of the “Beatles” (White album*). What makes her different than others who do reaction videos is that she has musical knowledge, and creates music herself, so notices all kinds of musical details as she’s listening. It’s been fun to watch someone who had not grown up hearing Beatle songs (just a couple, done by others I believe), to relive the reactions. In middle school, I do recall a neighborhood friend getting the new “Rubber Soul” album, and playing it for me - we thought it was so different, and great!

On a related note, got my guitar-and-piano-playing youngest son Vols. 1 & 2 of The Complete Beatles (vol. 1 is songs starting with A-I, vol. 2 is I-Y), and he has been enjoying using them.

*My own vinyl copy of the White Album is numbered A2372254 (2,372,254), put out by Apple Records. I also have a UK vinyl copy, with no number, put out by EMI. The former I purchased probably in the early 1970s. The UK copy is showing a bit of yellowing, whereas the US copy is still white. According to page 4 in this .pdf on White Album pressings, per the number on my (stereo) US copy, it was pressed in Scranton and was from a second pressing. Next time I go upstairs I’ll inspect it to see if it has any of the spelling errors or other oddities shown in the .pdf, but I doubt it, since it seems to be from a later pressing after those things were corrected, or in the case of stickers, not included.
My CD of the White Album does not have a number, but apparently some did have them for the original CD release. Guess I was slower to get on the CD bandwagon than others.

3 Likes

The BassBuzz team didn’t like the Dean Edge 10 PJ in their beginner bass review.

5 Likes

Ya, the Edge is one of the Chinese models that I said are on par with black label Affinity’s.

Mind you if you got a chance to try it out and thought it felt good, it might be your thing. But to buy it without having the chance at least to hold it, would probably not do you any good. If you were going to mod it you may find it a pain to find parts that fit it well.

4 Likes

There is a classically trained flutist that does reaction videos to Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull. She is appauled by his playing. It is pretty comical.

I have been in a very deep Magical Mystery Tour through Let It Be listening adventure myself for weeks now. The White Album has always been my favorite, even as a kid. Back then I ignorantly thought it was the third “Greatest Hits” album (Red and Blue being the other two, made sense to me) and just loved the hell out of it anyway. I love music with multiple ‘layers’ (one reason I like Kate Bush so much) and the White Album has this in spades. I never really got deep into Let It Be or Abbey Road, but man o man, I just can’t stop now.

I don’t collect ‘rare’ copies of albums, just solid ones. I used to be very into this in my youth but just don’t have the attention span any more.

1 Like