GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

There are differences in sound that I wanted to explore that led me to my 4 guitars. Now I’m modifying my PJ by upgrading the pickups. It’s part of wanting a new sound and part of curiosity and challenge.
I could go and just buy a new one, but it’s still a lot of money… Might get a real US Precision one day, but not right now :laughing:

4 Likes

The American P bass is still something I do have an itch to own but I’m wondering if it would be such a big improvement over my MIM?
Even with an American P I would probably end up swapping the pickups and pots lol :joy:

2 Likes

Any orange musicman bass fan here? @T_dub ?
https://link.2ememain.be/m1587955528?utm_source=android_social&utm_content=vip&utm_medium=android_social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons

3 Likes

@T_dub​:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:!!!

4 Likes

Yes, that’s awesome. Would be better if it were a 4 IMO, but ORANGE is my color for sure!

I am half way at this point. I have reached a plateau.
I have been selling / trading / flipping a lot of the equipment / Basses I have acquired, and only focusing on finishing the pedalboard. Other then the Zoom B1-four and MS-60b, I don’t have any extra pedals that are not on my board. I am not gonna have a collection of pedals I don’t use,
Now that I found my groove with the Basses I do play, Iam started to sell the others off.

3 Likes

Upgrade complete :grin:

11 Likes

And… ?

4 Likes

The sound is clearly better. Unfortunately, I did not record anything, still having trouble with recording software :confused:
As I changed the strings as well, I will review the setup as well.
It was an interesting experience, first time I had a look under the pickguard.
It’s a solderless kit but I still had to do some soldering because of the type of jack. The jazz pickup is a bit larger as well, so I needed to increase the opening to fit it in.

6 Likes

Cool, nice work

2 Likes

That’s absolutely absurd, and draconian to say the least! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

4 Likes

The government are making a fortune out of fines that are in the area of $1000’s of dollars per offence @PamPurrs

4 Likes

:rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:Disgraceful.

3 Likes

Anybody had any experience with the new line of Fender pedals?
The Bubbler Chorus pedal in particular?

Looks interesting, two separate chorus controls, plus a sine / triangle wave toggle.

I am looking to finalize my board with a chorus pedal.
I was either going to get the EHX Bass Clone (cost effective option, with cool x-over to keep the bass tone unmodulated, so the highs get the effect, sounds cool.

Or the Source Audio Gemini Chorus pedal.
The most expensive I am looking at, but, I am sure there is a way to get the same amount of control, if not more then the Fender Bubbler (as far as dual rates and shape), plus it is 3 pedals in one (one at a time) because it can also be (identical to) the Source Audio Lunar Phaser or Mercury Flanger.
I wonder if there is any type of x-over that can be created in the offline software. I will look into it. I really love Source Audio, and really want at least one of their pedals on my board. That said, I still could end up with the Bass Clone in the end.

3 Likes

I’m starting to see where this really seems to matter for bass effects of many types. I think the Darkglass X really has that part figured out and I just looked at a dual band compressor for bass where you can set crossover and individual compression settings per band.

4 Likes

Yeah, it can sure be helpful. DarkGlass doesn’t make a Chorus pedal that I know of. On my Alpha Omega Ultra, they have a Bass and or Treble boost
The Bass Boost is “Growl” and the Treble is “Bite”

The MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe also has a x-over, and a Flanger button if case you want to use it as such.

I looked into the Neuro software for Source Audio, and you CAN set threshold values for the Bass for the Chorus, and Flanger, and Phaser, which is basically what the x-over on the EHX Bass Clone Chorus and MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe pedals do, is set a threshold to cut off at 100hrz (or whatever the measurement is behind the 100), so yes, you can set up the Source Audio Gemini as tho a x-over is on.

4 Likes

Can we have the link?

3 Likes

The nice thing about having the toggle for the X-over is you can switch it on the fly. I don’t think you could do that through the software, could you?

4 Likes

Yeah I flip mine all the time depending on the sound I want.

3 Likes

I love how my Microtubes X handles this, yeah. For both the low and high end. Such a good pedal.

I love this feature in general. I now have this or the equivalent on four pedals:

• EHX Bass Clone chorus (x-over)
  • Darkglass Microtubes X (Low/High mix, low pass filter, high pass filter, Mids blend)
  • EHX Bass Big Muff (dry mix switch, which does the same thing effectively for this pedal)
  • EHX Battalion (blend and separate tone low-pass on the distortion channel, plus pre/post/dry toggle for distortion EQ)

I kind of consider this to be a vital feature at this point.

3 Likes

I believe you can assign it to a switch on the pedal. The MXR has it on the pedal as well. the Fender, no

3 Likes