GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

It has a maple body. When Steve got his orgininal bass Fender was running low on Ash bodies and started producing basses with maple bodies which are heavier. Steve liked the tone so that’s what he plays.

6 Likes

:+1:

4 Likes

tonewood

5 Likes

I agree with you in general on this… but Steve.

4 Likes

Contrary to some misconceptions, different tonewoods do contribute to different sonic characteristics of solid-body electric instruments, even bass guitars. The operative words in that statement being contribute to.

Yes, pickups, strings and especially players and how they play are responsible for the heavy lifting when it comes to ultimate tone sculpting, but tonewoods do provide seasoning to that gumbo.

As folks in general respect the sound of Yamaha basses, here’s Yamaha’s take on how tonewoods contribute to the basses they make.

2 Likes

Oh no you don’t.
Don’t start that nonsense here.

Please immediately proceed to this thread with your would-be wood theories.

4 Likes

Do not direct me in any way.

2 Likes

1 Like

Not a tiny bit. I just don’t recognize your authori-tie. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

4 Likes

The only thing that’s important here is that you’ve got the bass you want. It looks mint. :ok_hand:

3 Likes

2 Likes

Also, it’s the only Fender P without neckdive. Yay counterweights!!

4 Likes

My MIJ Fender P has zero neck dive - perfectly balanced :rofl:

Modern C neck profile is probably why. It’s not a baseball bat. Also made by FujiGen so maybe some extra quality there.

4 Likes

Same here, my Fender American Pro II P is balanced and no neck dive. Mine has a ‘64 C shape neck.

5 Likes

Just got me a second hand Big Muff and an in the sale Pitchfork so some changes to my pedal board this weekend.

6 Likes

It’s interesting. The Stve Harris P is reported by everyone and their uncle Bob to have a real baseball bat chunker neck with an Old Skool U profile.

When I play it, though, it doesn’t seem that way at all. In fact with the super low radius (7.25") it’s really comfortable. Funny that, because I have fairly small hands.

5 Likes

Fender specs list it as a U shape. I tried one at a local store a while back and to me it felt more like a C. Maybe they had a run where they used a different shape neck? Perhaps due to Covid or supply chain issues? What year was yours made?

1 Like

According to the Fender lookup it was made in 08/2022. I’m surprised it wasn’t still warm when it arrived at L&M :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Sell a bass

Buy a bass

A Warmoth custom 51 P which is a something of a gamble, but it’s from GC so I can have faith in the condition and 45 days to return. Deeply marked down. Worth it for a project bass if nothing else.

Duncan pickup

10 Likes