GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Okay you techie guys are talking WAY over my head, I keep reading these comments hoping to catch a clue as to what IR is. Sorry, I’m just a lowly aspiring bass player, not a techie, so I have to ask, what is “IR”.

4 Likes

@PamPurrs, had to look that one up as well. Here’s some useful info:

It’s basically files that allow you to recreate a specific sound of an amp, cabinet…

3 Likes

yep, exactly. when you had your zoom it was all those bass cabinet simulators, like to sound like your playing through a 1960s SVT bass amp or whatever.

3 Likes

It’s a fancy word for EQ curve. Everything in the chain boosts some frequencies and reduces some frequencies, coloring the sound. The speaker cabinet isn’t perfect; it changes tone. The mic isn’t perfect; it changes tone.

It’s possible to measure all those tone colorations by putting all possible frequencies into the system simultaneously for a split second and then measuring what comes out. Et voila, an IR measurement. It’s like setting as many EQ knobs as you need, maybe 100s, all at once to make the same final tone as that equipment would.

It’s a bit of a funny concept to me because recording engineers and front of house engineers are trying to overcome problems caused by that equipment to begin with. They are moving the mic around and applying more EQ to try to get those systems to sound good despite their limitations and coloration. And here we are going to great effort to recreate the problem we are going to eventually try to at least partially undo. If it were me I’d take the DI tone and start straight away by turning EQ knobs to get the end tone I want without an IR in the middle. However, it is a nice and easy way to make something in headphones sound like what someone is used to without doing any work. Depending on the skills of the front of house engineer, it may work out better to send them an IR processed signal if they don’t know what to do with a DI feed to make it sound good.

What would be the bomb would be to measure the IR of the room you are about to play in and have the pedal fix the problems for the front of house engineer before sending them the signal. Then you actually could give the whole room the color of tone you like. I haven’t seen anyone do this yet!

3 Likes

Sounds very much like room correction, which your denon avr does.

2 Likes

I created a thread with posts about what they are, and a place for people to share sites where you can download good, free ones HERE

1 Like

You and me both @PamPurrs. I ended up googling it !

4 Likes

HERE @Mac

2 Likes

Thanks @T_dub :+1:

2 Likes

Hey @terb.
Is this a good one?
Is it a good deal at $150?

I’m not a big fan of the XT range, but there are a lot of possibilities with this gear. way more sims and options than on a pre-XT Bass POD. not what I would buy but it’s not a bad choice, and at $150 it’s not overpriced (at least based on french prices).

I recorded one cover with my Bass POD XT (mine is the bean version), it could give you an idea.

2 Likes

Since it is Line6 (i.e. desireable) and already well depreciated I would say that’s a safe buy regardless as you should be able to re-sell.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip.
Although I would like to try a bass pos sometime, I am not looking to spend $150 on one.

Especially since a Warwick Rock Bass Double Buck Corvette just went on sale about 5 miles from my house for $335.
My friend just got a MIG one, 2005 and it is sweet. He has the P/J pick ups tho, and just dropped the Robert Trujillo pick ups into it.
This is a good one to play with prior to picking up the Rock Bass, to see if it is comparable in any way. And if it is, drop some nice pick ups into it and it might be something.
Who knows, may pull me away from the Stingray
or equal, my buddy is a Ray player two, but he is in love with his Corvette

5 Likes

Will be interesting to hear what you think. Warwicks have a distinctive sound and feel. The RockBass has a pretty different sound and feel to the MIGs. Neither better nor worse, but different.

I really like my Rockbass Streamer and if I was going to get a 'vette it would be the one you’re looking at. Price is good too assuming it was made after 2015 or so, sounds like you found a good deal.

The neck feel on 'wicks is… different. Definitely more of a baseball bat than an Ibby or Yamaha. Still very playable and feels very solid, though.

All in all I have found the RB line to be great basses. And Warwick makes the best bridge and nut designs in the business, IMO - at least for flexibility.

4 Likes

Yeah, I have to have a response from the seller first. LOL

Speaking of GAS
1 - a seller on Reverb with NEW EHX Bass Clones just sent me an offer for one for about $7 discount, $61.21. I have not tried the Source Audio Chorus pedal yet, but at this deal, I am just gonna grab it. I did ask him if that came with the 2nd day shipping, he replied that he can’t do that, but he would do one with 2nd day ship for $64. SOLD

2 - I found somebody selling a Keeley Bassist Limiting Amplifier on Offer Up for $60. it appears new, and is in Texas, but shipping was $3.99. You buy thru offer up, so they have buyer protection. At this price, I could not resist. I may flip it, but I really love compressors, and my chance to play with this one for that price, well, it has already been shipped. :wink:

IDK what will happen with the Corvette, but I am hoping to get a chance to try it out at the very least. I have only seen Streamers at the local GC’s, rock Bass’s of course. I have yet to hold my buddy’s corvette MIG corvette, he just got it a little over a week ago.

4 Likes

Good call, I bet you’ll love the Bass Clone.

4 Likes

I am Sure I will. The x-over is stand out feature, and with all it does, it is still a reasonably priced, to inexpensive pedal

4 Likes

So far, I love mine although I’ve only had it a very short while.

3 Likes

Thought I’d have a break from buying pedals and ordered this from the USA .

Since the dreaded virus they’ve become like rocking horse sh1t over here so I snapped it up tonight. Did I need it ? Probably not but why not lol :joy:

4 Likes

yeah, I got one in my amazon cart waiting

3 Likes