GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Have you tried the Japanese Kewpie mayo, they are delicious especially with fries and hotdogs. Instead of whole eggs they only use the yolks. Delicious!!

3 Likes

And the bottle is fun to play with!

3 Likes

@Krescht : I was trying to let this thread slowly drift back to its main topic, by keeping my mouth shut, but alas, the subject of condiments is apparently just too exciting :joy:

I also suspect @MC-Canadastan was waiting for someone to say “poutine”, but I didn’t go there either… oh… oops :dizzy_face:

:rofl:

7 Likes

I like poutine, but normally I just eat fries and gravy (the light, dietary version :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ).

4 Likes

Condiments of certain types might lead to gas, but they don’t lead to GAS. Soooo… here’s a place to get condiments all over ya.

4 Likes

Should probably have had that, uhm, 8 hours ago :joy:

3 Likes

@joergkutter Some sad news on the Mayones Custom front: they will only put necks with a 9.5" radius on the Jabba Mala. And they won’t customize a Mala with a different pup config like the P/MM. In fact, they won’t customize Signature models at all.

They WILL do a custom build with those pups and Jabba body, etc., but their current wait list is 18 months!

Nope, nope, nope.

The only good news I got was that my Jabba Mala Signature 4 was one of a very limited series that is no longer being offered. I believe your HF was one also, hence, the new models and configs being offered.

Mayones is looking in the after-market dealer stock for something that might work for me. sigh

3 Likes

You never can tell, man. I started the pizza toppings thread after about two years-worth of comments had hijacked some other poor, unsuspecting thread. It’s still being added to today. :rofl:

3 Likes

Sorry, this got lost in all the condiments…

I think that is their “standard” processing time these days (it’s getting longer and longer). I just got lucky to find a dealer that had already ordered the bass I wanted (and now could afford) almost 12 months ago.

The longer you wait to order, the longer you need to wait to get it :grin:

Yeah, they seem to know which of their authorized dealers has ordered what kinds of basses… perhaps they find something for you…

On the other hand, that is maybe not the time to compromise (given how much money you are going to put down); so, accepting the wait, but getting exactly what you want might be the better option after all :smile:

3 Likes

That’s the bummer, man. I really want a 9.5" radius neck, but they only offer it on a current Mala. And the current Mala is a fiver, which I don’t want. It’s a Catch-22 fuckathon on this one.

There are some models like your first Mayo around in the wild, but there’s that pesky 20" flat neck. Grrrr.

I wish I could get over having a purple 5-string Mala that has the P/MM pups. The different sounds of those babies are what I really want. No offense to anybody, but I don’t like purple. So time continues to be a flat circle.

3 Likes

I just recommended this in the other thread. The Spicy version is awesome.

2 Likes

It was a while before my time in Japan but my wife tells me the she and all her friends used to carry around their own bottles to put on stuff. It’s her single favorite condiment.

3 Likes

I usually buy them at Costco now and every time I buy the 2 pack I’d stopped and get the hotdogs I love mine with mayo and relish.

2 Likes

So, it’s all out custom then!?! Can’t you get anything you want in the custom built category?

4 Likes

That’s what I asked. But even an all out custom build wouldn’t get me a 9.5” radius fretboard.

They said that a 9.5” only comes on a Jabba Mala. And they are only offering a Mala as a 5-string. With an Eye Poplar purple top.

In other words, if I really want a 9.5” neck and P/MM pups, I must buy the current Jabba Mala.

So I said: Wait a minute…so you won’t put a 4-string Mala neck on a custom Jabba build?

And the answer was: Nope, we’re booked 18 months out and too busy.

I said: Well, that’s not very “custom” of you.

And that’s when they proffered my three options:

1. Buy a current Mala (which is a 5-string and purple)

2. Choose a different model (that wouldn’t have the pups or neck radius I want)

3. Find an older Mala 4 model (that has the neck I want, not the pups, and is exactly like the one I already own).

Option 2 is an in-stock Antique Black Jabba Custom J/MM, but with a 20” radius fretboard. It’s gorgeous, but way expensive, and doesn’t come with all I want.

4 Likes

Damn!

So: they only make 5-string necks with a 9.5’’ radius, and they probably don’t have pups that fit a smaller (4-string) neck… Damn!

Well, they seem to have time to make a custom bass for a 12-year old girl, and she can’t possibly be cuter than you or play better… Er, well, uhm, …

Real bummer this!

6 Likes

Yeah, but building a tiny super-custom for Ellen is a super-savvy marketing ploy on Mayones’s part.

Stats show that Ellen gets jillions of YT hits, which translates into bazillion eyeballs and astronomically viral word of mouth sharing, which is the most effective type of advertising.

And a one-off little bass with special features is a minuscule price to pay for that.

It turns out that they only made a 9.5” radius neck because Federico Malaman spec’ed it for his Sugnature models. Otherwise, Mayo is using the modern 20” radius across their models.

3 Likes

They aren’t making any 4-string necks with a 9.5” radius at all. That was only made for the Trans Blue Burst Jabba Mala 4 Signature like the one I own. It is a unicorn. :unicorn:

3 Likes

you obviously know a whole different set of people then i do

8 Likes

Was gonna say :rofl:

6 Likes