GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

That’s a very sweet un-Fenderish looking Fender in a PJ config. Love the color.

2 Likes

Wow. Looks more like a Yamaha BB to me than a Fender P. I like it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looking on talkbass they are well regarded.

Can’t tell but if gold hardware it’s the first generation. Seems more desirable. The price seems ok if it’s in good shape but I’d try to haggle him down a little or ask him to pretend ship it and not pay tax etc.

It’s not a lyte deluxe unless it has 2 bridge pickups. Which would put it in the $1500 range

I am a huge fan of MIJ Fenders in general. Quality is nuts high.

3 Likes

Dang! Is that iridescent green? I have never seen that color on a Fender before.

2 Likes

The nice think a list things like these in the states is the resale is higher as they are rarer.

If you liked it I’d say it’s a winner.

Nice and “lyte” for sure too.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! $899 is more than my budget may allow but it did feel great when I tried it out. I have a couple more stores to check out but they’re in downtown Honolulu and I’ll go there this weekend.
Thanks again!

4 Likes

Very nice Jerry @JerryP ,
Love the colour,
Cheers Brian

1 Like

Thanks Brian!

1 Like

It’s a very nice bass, if that’s the actual bass. It looks to be in great condition.

There’s always something with fender MIJ. The neck should feel fantastic. Price is pretty current with the post COVID. I’ve seen it ranging from 700-1200. Never one in green. So it’s a great catch.

4 Likes

Is it green or black @JerryP ?

1 Like

That photo is not the actual bass. I got that image off the interweb. It has a chip in the finish so it’s not perfect.

4 Likes

When you look at it in person, it’s more black than green, but you can see the green tint in it.

2 Likes

According to Wikipedia,

Precision Bass Lyte models were made in Japan and came to the market in late 1984. They had a smaller body shape and a modern C-shape maple neck with 22 medium-jumbo frets. They had an active P-J pickup configuration with a 2 band eq and pickup pan knob. They were produced until 1995.

5 Likes

Thank you for the info @Mike_NL ! Much appreciated.

3 Likes

That looks pretty cool @JerryP .
I’ve drifted away from fender but still really enjoy my p bass when I pick her up.
I reckon the Lyte would serve you well.

2 Likes

Thanks @Mac. I haven’t made my decision yet but it would be a nice addition.

2 Likes

My first impression is that this is out of this world. The sound shaping possibilities with the 4 band EQ are amazing, especially that the frequencies are really well chosen (50, 200, 500 and 3000 Hz). The gain control is great as well: it goes from 0 to Cliff Burton. In fact the instructions come with preset templates how to get a number of “artist” sound configs out of it: Steve, Geezer, Lemmy, Cliff and a couple others). It’s definitely not a one-trick pony. The SH amp cab emulation switch gives it a good, full tone and the bite switch really enhances “clank”. It’ll be absolutely fantabulous when my SH pickups finally get here (on order since July, now due in October). Oh, and it includes a power supply as well, which is a nice touch.

Interestingly, although it doesn’t have compression settings as such, I think the circuit has some sort of compression preset built in.

The only downside is that although the output jack can drive headphones, it’s only mono and very quiet. However, the headphone amp function is an “oh, BTW”, not a main feature, so that’s to be expected.

4 Likes

Sweet. How would it compare to the Bass Driver DI, or the VT Bass TI, tone-wise?

Tech21 makes good stuff.

2 Likes

@howard , I only tried the Bass Driver DI V1. The SH-1 has a finer mids adjustment (i.e. it has adjustable mids) so that you can scoop or bump that range. It also adjusts treble at 3000 Hz (vs. 5000 for the BD DI), meaning you can boost treble without increasing the zing zing of the strings. With the bite switch it seems to give the clank a very different tone than through my Harley Benton preamp, more clank than clink, if you get what I mean.

2 Likes

Uh oh stand is filled. Can you spot the newcomer?
Will post pics later in “Show your basses” when I try it out properly

5 Likes