GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

What’s their higher end version. The 600 series? The pickups are very beefy medium size pole pieces, pretty unique attack feel. Plenty of aggression but you can still finesse it. The build quality is very impressive too. Actually I heard you in my head when I decided to get it. Thank god @John_E was not around saying get the double quad Sims, lol

3 Likes

The 500/600 series yeah - they are basically the touring/intermediate versions, about the same level as the Ibanez SR500/600. The only difference between the 504 and 604 are the body woods and appearance, and preamp voicing (to compensite for the woods). Otherwise identical.

They are lighter than the 304, slightly sifferent body shape, and have a 3-band preamp with active/passive switch.

I love my 604 so much. I’ve bought four and sold three other basses since getting it; it’s here to stay, unless I upgrade it to a very similar replacement; SR Premium or Dingwall would be the likely upgrade paths, if any.

3 Likes

@Al1885 I really like the look of that contemporary Jazz Bass. Out of curiosity I looked on reverb. I found a guy selling a purple one for $989 when the new list is $579.
I sent him a message asking him to explain what magic unicorn pickups had he installed to add $410 to the price.
People have lost their minds if they think someone’s going to pay $1000 for a used Squier JB.
Anyway nice looking bass.
https://reverb.com/ca/item/43573537-squier-contemporary-jazz-bass-2021-deep-purple

5 Likes

you can buy new one, have it refinished, and still have cash leftover for what he is asking.

4 Likes

It’s hilarious. You can buy a new Fender JB for $800. People have quite literally lost a grip on reality due to the supply chain issues.
Anyway in a few years time some / a lot of these people who bought instruments during the pandemic will decide it’s not for them and we’ll see a re balancing in the used market. There will be plenty of used basses in mint condition for us to haggle over.

3 Likes

Actually on that one is $662 US dollars the listing is from Canada. At least that what I was hoping for.

Sometime that actually adjusted when you go to payment.

1 Like

@Al1885 yeah they’re Cdn dollars. But he’s still asking $410 Cdn dollars more than new. Idiots.

3 Likes

:joy: Hey, is this an actual thing - if not it should be. My only ‘injuries’ have been to the headstock(s) of my basses - all caused by my clumsiness.

2 Likes

Nice haul @Al1885 !!!

I don’t have that kind of luck on offer up.

I had a TRBX305. It was fine but didn’t give the tonal options I wanted. And yes the neck was good like @howard says. For sure.

Sadly the sims won’t fit in those slots very well :wink:

3 Likes

Same thing here. People trying to cash in on limited supply. I ignore all of them. Hey they can try but that’s really bad karma for them.

I’ve learned patience during covid. It’s quite nice actually. There’s a zen in waiting for something you want that Amazon Prime has erased for a lot of us.

4 Likes

Patience is always the key to the used market. But yeah, now more than ever :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m 45 with an 8 and a 5…All my old friends’ kids are off to college or trade school.

4 Likes

First, congrats on your healthy happy son.
Now
Awesome looking Jag you got there

Heeeeeeee’s Back!!! in full force. not even a child birth can stop him, he is super bass man.

Good to see you back, happy your wife and family are well, I was worried for a minute, thought maybe you were killed by your basses in some sort of strange electric / zombie / b horror movie sort of way.

4 Likes

This is a tough one because I really had my eye on the Ibanez headless multi scale, but so far I found things I really like about these 4 basses. I I wasn’t so lazy I’d dig up my bbne2 out to play. The 5 5 strings play surprisingly well for a budget bass. Although the classic vibe g string nut cut so close to the edge it bugs me a little.

4 Likes

This is a bummer. 5’s can get kind of tight that way.

4 Likes

Ok, I finally broke down, and will be making changes to my pedal board. I don’t know quite how it will go, but I am adding a pre-amp / di, and compressor (yes, I know, another compressor), and removing a compressor, possibly an OD, possibly my Deluxe big muff, and either my envelope filter, or my mini crybaby bass wha pedal. and a looper and some other things.
I am trying to simplify it, so I use it more, instead of just taking one or two pedals off of it and put them on my amp instead of going thru the whole chain.

Let me just say, I finally found one of these for a price I was willing to pay, and it was brand new

IIRC, I watched this in my cart, and he sent me an offer for like $187.50 plus $15 ship making it $202.50. Or I offered him that price like I said below.
but if you want one, watch it, and maybe you will get a message from the seller for the same price, or just message them and tell them you will pay $200 shipped, and they probably will go for it.

With those cables, I would have paid $200 for it shipped, but amazon is up near $230 or $249 these days, and used ones are going for over $250 on reverb, and I never see them on Offer Up, and @PamPurrs won’t sell me hers, so here I am, I finally cracked.

Plus, I just COULD NOT LIVE without my MarkBass Compressore, so I found one on Reverb, made an offer, and got it for a great price (considering used, or old / new stock, they still go for up to $400 plus)

I also picked up an EBS Octobass for $40 shipped on Reverb. I like the way those sound, and I don’t ever use much of my TCE /sub and Up, and I never go Up, so if I like the Octobass, I may be selling the TCE Sub n Up, and if I don’t, I can sell it on Offer Up for probably $60 easy, but be happy just getting the $40 back, but it might be just what I am looking for, won’t know til I get it.

So, the Boss BC-1X is going for sure. The San June is staying for sure, the Keely Bassist, I am undecided on, gonna have to wait to see how they play together, I never had the Keely at the same time as the Mark Bass, if I can live without the Keeley, I will sell it, just to get the money back on what I just invested in.

The Behringer BDI-21 Bass Driver Pre amp / DI, I will hang onto it, just cuz they don’t cost much and don’t sell for much and I can still have fun with it.
I have a Crybaby mini bass wah AND a MXR envelope filter. I want something with a Q filter, but don’t think I need both, so one might go.
I have not played with the VT bass enough, but it might have enough drive, to where I could either get rid of my Plumes (tube screamer on steroids) or my Deluxe Big Muff

I am not necessarily looking to get rid of everything, just looking to get back the $350 I just invested in these 3 pedals. The Boss BC-1x is still selling near $200 on Reverb, so I could go in at $160 and probably sell it quick. I could probably get $160 for the Keeley, and then sell the looper for about $75, and I would be back to even.
Now I just need to see what I really am using, and get rid of what I don’t.

I might keep my big pedalboard, but buy one of those cheap small ones that fit about 5 pedals on it, and use that as my main play toy, but adding and subtracting pedals as needed, then if I find I am changing them a lot, I will just rebuild the big board, if not, I will keep the 5 and call it a day.
at the end of the day, I still have a Zoom B1x-Four that I can use as a tuner, and any other effect I want, like chorus, or flanger, or envelope filter and cut down that way.

I just don’t have an easy way to play with my whole board in my limited space. a smaller one would be easier, otherwise, I often just leave the board on the table and plug right into my DAI and listen to the headphones thru GarageBand, usually with no effects, so I know I can live without them, but they are fun, until you run out of room and they become a hassle to use, which is where I am at. Heck, I could make 2 5 pedal boards, each with a pre amp/ DI, and a compressor and some dirt and another effect, maybe one with the envelope filter, and one with the crybaby.

Thing is, I was feeling like shit, and I went thru that manic episode, and I am starting to feel better from that, got some medications adjusted and they seem to be working, so I am feeling more like playing with pedals and stuff. For a while, longer then I care to admit, it has been a struggle just to play bass for 30 min to an hour a day, let along mess with pedals, but I am feeling a little more vigorous now, so the timing was right to get that VT Bass.

I still want to try that EBS tube drive at some time, I always search for them, but they are always over $200. If I ever see one for $100, or close, I am grabbing it, just to have it and play with it, then probably sell it, cuz, thats what we do here, right.

Edit: I was also thinking about changing out the MXR envelope filter for an EHX BassBalls, like Cliff used? I can get one for about $50, and sell the MXR for about $125 or more.

6 Likes

You should definitely try one! It ended up being my favorite, though the VT Bass DI was close.

Turned a profit when I sold it, too, though I did throw in an extra tube.

Glad you have a VT Bass DI lined up. Fantastic pedal.

5 Likes

Oh, its here, I played with it today, it is awesome, I just need a few more days to explore it completely.

I almost think I would be just fine going San June compressor to VT bass, to MarkBass compressor to my SWR WorkingMan 10 or 15, and be fine

Still would like a q filter some times, and sub, / chorus / reverb, but thats all fun and games, I can live with the compressors and that VT bass probably just fine.

5 Likes

Grats on your VT Bass DI!

Since you are asking:

• Sell the pedals you don’t plan to use
  • Keep your board small if your living space is limited
  • Keep the MXR envelope filter
  • Maybe invest in a tuner instead of the B1four?

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d find room on the board for either the strobostomp or a polytune, you’ll love it.

3 Likes