GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

1000euro in 250 years will have the value of 1 euro now, so in reality if you buy it now it will be a vintage bass in 250 years so you will probably make money on it or pass it down as a family treasure :joy::rofl::joy:

5 Likes

Ok, couple things popped up on my radar.
Not necessarily looking to buy one or all, but wondering what anybody may know about these,

And it doesn’t help I have a large influx of cash coming tomorrow.

First, Honda? I have heard the name, but no nothing about them. Somebody, @peterhuppertz I think, regretted selling one a long time ago.

A couple showed up, this one is with case, looks like it’s in great shape, and comes with a beautiful hard case. But I don’t know if it’s good or not.
If it’s good, it’s cheap enuf to buy for the case and resell the bass later, if it’s worth anything, after the world comes out of lockdown and starts buying things more… unless I like it. Black on black not my thing. Somehow I have 2 black Basses now.
I could customize the pickguard orange???

Next up. VINTAGE Yamaha BB something.
First, I would like to know if it is actually vintage, and if so, how Vintage?

I love this one tho, it’s ORANGE. Need I say more.
Actually it looks like a beautiful instrument.
Why so cheap?
Is it just cuz of Covid? Is it a hidden GEM? Or is it just an old bass?? I still like it, it’s ORANGE. I would not buy it just for that tho. But if it’s worth it, it looks like a nice one for the collection.

Should I mention, I am pretty sure I am gonna get rid of my Ibanez SR300. It’s ORANGE, and I love that, but I have a Quilted Maple Ibanez SR400 that is Orange too. I think the SR 300 has some dead frets, and I think, without having a Luthier look it over, that it is a bit worn out. I have to constantly change the set up on it. It was a GC purchase, and I still have 2+ months to decide, but I can easy return it, like if I decide to replace it with a vintage orange Yamaha :thinking::joy::joy:
Like said, need to know if it’s really vintage and / or a good deal first.

The SN is there, if that helps identifying Yamahas, idk, does it?

3 Likes

It’s Hondo, and the only thing I regret about it is buying one. Selling it caused no regrets whatsoever.

7 Likes

Next one is starting to feel like a no brained.

I got my Sterling Stingray Ray 4 brand new at GC, after making profit on a couple other Basses to pay for it. I love it, it’s great. I love it cuz it’s a ray, feels like a ray, plays like a ray, sounds like a ray, it’s bad ass, for 5he bottom line from their line up right now.

Which, in and of itself is fine, I really wouldn’t question it. Only blemish on this bass is the blue color. I really like it actually, but it’s not orange. Lol.

But
But
But
What if, for the same $300 I paid for the Stingray S.U.B. RAY 4, I could get a Stingray Ray 34. The top line Sterling Rays. Actually it cost less, cuz no tax.
I can easy return the SUB Ray 4 and get this RAY 34.
And it sort of has some orange in it.

Course I have to check it out, but the equivalent model in the current line up / color schemes is over $799, I am guessing that is around what this would have been, and it’s solid Ash (edit, not mahogany) instead of compressed basswood. Again, I love the ray 4, but to be able to have a Ray 34…
Maybe keep both??? I got like 5 months to return Blue. Lol

2 Likes

Hondo is a brand that was created by Samick somewherre in the 70’s, in cooperation with a Texan musical instrument company whose name I forgot.
My Hondo was a regrettable plank of meh – a shallow copy of the Gibson SG-style bass. It was horrible to play, and no setup attempt cured this.

I looked up this one, and while it seems better than mine, I still don’t have any reason to assume it’s any better than the average '70’s P copy. I’d give it a hard pass.

1 Like

Mhhh… Because of @T_dub bargains I started to look for defective/non perfect gear on ebay and found this:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/E-Bass-Bass-gitarre-DYLON-developed-by-BCG/133451677862?hash=item1f125700a6:g:T7EAAOSwgiRe-clZ

No one bid on this thing and according to the description one knob is missing.
Anyone knows about Dylon bass guitars!? I could not find anything. Best I could find was a guitar forum in which a guy had a similiar problem and was told that dylon became aria guitars later!? but that doesn’t make sense because according to forum guy Dylon became Aria in the 80s but Aria exists since '65!?

50 bucks with 0 bids on it doesn’t seem like too much but I don’t wanna have an unplayable bass here.

3 Likes

Vintage for that BBG4 just means '90s. Nice looking inexpensive Yamaha J-bass, alder body, maple top, probably basic competition with similar Ibanez basses. I don’t think it has much in common with the rest of the BB line.

So, nice bass, but not a rare find like a BB1200 or something.

4 Likes

Thank you, I will do just that.
That’s easy, cuz I didn’t really care about that one anyway. The ray is top spot for me right now.

Then, this just popped up.
Not sure about the amp, but it’s gotta be worth $75 to resell. Oranges are not that cheap. My Orange Crush 20b is a &189 amp last I checked.
I will need to look this one up first, this is just a first glimpse, cuz it just popped up.
And it’s tge bass that caught my eye.
I want a peavey bass.
Like the millennium and cirrus. I think somebody just talked about this one here, said they got an old vintage one, like new.
I will need better pics and to see it of course, but they are not asking much for the combo.

Amp is Orange Crush 20RT
Bass is Peavey Foundation, crafted in USA, is what it says on the headstock, that’s all I have to go on til the seller reply’s.

2 Likes

Well, this is a winner. The amp lowest used price on reverb is $139. The Basses are around $300 up to $900. There is a lot of variation, but the lower priced ones don’t say made in USA by Peavey.
Unless somebody knows otherwise, I am gonna pick this combo up, for resale if nothing else.
Bass is black on black. Again, not my favorite.

Speak up if I am missing something here. From the seller profile pic, it’s a kid that was given a bass and amp cuz he said he wanted to play, decided he didn’t want to learn, and is selling it for quick Covid cash.

2 Likes

Damn, that’s a bad ass little amp. Too bad it’s a guitar amp.
It is really overloaded for a 20w amp, but in a bigger version, it has a lot of features.
Twin channel, foot switchable between clean and drive channel. Amp models, onboard tuner, reverb, something I saw about voicing.
Actually, if the bass is all it’s cracked up to be, I will keep the amp for my guitar buddy across the way.
Or the drummer with electric drum set.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I knew my Yamaha expert would show up.
By nice bass, is it $240 nice, or not? It’s been on long enuf I would prob offer $180 or something at first, but with the Peavey / orange combo showing up, I will prob hold off, cuz I see potential selling the amp, and if it is American made Peavey, even if it’s not worth more then several hundred, it might play like a dream.
Worth a look, at least before the Yamaha.

2 Likes

I know for a fact that Aria existed before the '80’s – the lead guitarist of a band I occasionally played in had an Aria in 1976.

4 Likes

Personally it wouldn’t be my choice but that’s because I am not interested in a J-Bass, not because there is anything wrong with it. I’m sure it’s a nice bass. I saw a couple for $299 on Reverb, didn’t see any for sale locally (which could just mean it’s an export model.

While searching I did find this though:

https://store.ishibashi.co.jp/ec/pro/disp/1/11-326627704

Dayum. Now that’s a vintage BB. Not expensive either.

4 Likes

Great link, I like that they are well respected Basses and, although not crazy expensive / Valuable, it could play great, if it is in good condition. The part about the neck is interesting.

2 Likes

I could use a Jazz Bass in my collection. Couldn’t hurt, although not necessary. Thanks for the valuation in case I decide to trade in my SR300 and get this. Again, I like my SR300, and will hav3 more SR in the future, but it is very similar to my SR 400QM, Samir configuration and all, it just may not be to par. I may have somebody look at it to see if it’s just me, or if there are some issues.

I am liking the things on offer up right now. I get to go play with a few Basses and see if any pan out. Good news is they are all relatively close. The one that is a little drive away, is the opposite direction of traffic. Going south towards San Diego instead of north to Los Angeles.:+1:t2:

2 Likes

Loving the look of that Stingray 34 @T_dub :+1:

3 Likes

I have seen some really nice Aria Basses for sale locally. I don’t know much about them, but looked nice.

There is another bass, I have seen 2 for sale locally, but in the limited, quick searches I did, I couldn’t find anything about them.
Shame too, cuz they are GORGEOUS.
I WILL SEE IF I can find some pics.
Bass is called

Edit for spelling : Benssica

Possibly Spanish ? Italian, Portuguese?

3 Likes

Yeah, Idk why I didn’t get that instead to start with.
I think it was cuz GC just opened back up, I was there and got excited by the wall of Basses. No matter, 6 mo return policy, it’s money in the bank. Lol

3 Likes

Oh yeah, my daughter texted me this earlier tonight with the text…

Dad, this is you and your Basses
Disclaimer, it’s not me, tho I will admit I wish.
I am a lil jealous of some of his…“girlfriends”

https://www.tiktok.com/@lilsillygoose/video/6840887632197586182

3 Likes