GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

$650 is more than a Double-Buck Rockbass Corvette costs new.

4 Likes

Kind of what I thought, that’s why it was not on my GAS list.

3 Likes

My mistake, he said $550 with case and strap.
I don’t think that’s a big difference, not enuf to make it worth it.

I had to ask price cuz the Add was for trade.
I was thinking if he said $400, then I would go play it, and see if I like it.

Does $400 sound about right, or is that still high?
If these others don’t pan out, I will be looking thru my saved favorites to see if anything else has dropped price yet…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

$400 isn’t bad for a used $$ in good shape.

3 Likes

So, not that I expect it to, If I get that Spector for $200, which it is listed at, slashed from $500 to $400 to $300 and now $200, so I doubt they will take less, but it’s a fair price IMO.

BUT IF I don’t get it or the Peavey, or Ray 34, and if I were to go back and make an offer, and he were to counter offer, what would you say the line should be drawn for that bass, assuming it’s in like new, or close to, shape?

$480?
$450?
$425?
Or stick to $400?

2 Likes

In the US I don’t know, but here I wouldn’t pay more than $400, and ideally not more than $350 or even $300, for a used Rockbass Corvette $$. Weirdly the 5’s are cheaper than the 4’s (new or used) but this gives you an idea for what they go for here:

https://www.mercari.com/jp/search/?keyword=rockbass+%24%24+corvette

4 Likes

Thanks, correct me if I am wrong, but 42k yen is roughly $425, so 33K and 23k respectively would be $330 and $230?

I am not sure that is same here, but only based on the EXTREMELY limited models I have for comparison.
Models being this one
Another pretty worn one 5he guy wanted like $800 for IIRC ( I showed it to you and you basically said he was off his rocker). And the one “New” Streamer I saw at GC that was around $650 or $850, I can’t remember which, but it was one of those.

I will be sure to look a little further into value here more locally (EBay, reverb, NEW at local dealers ) if I decide to peruse it any further, but I doubt I will.

1 Like

42k JPY is about $390.

3 Likes

So what is $23k? $200? What’s the ratio?

1 Like

Oh yeah @howard, I forgot another thing trying to force it’s way back on my GAS list.
I found an Aftershock Pedal on offer up for $80.
After loving, but returning, it’s predecessor, for control reasons, this gives me the pedal, and ALL the control, visually on the connected iOS device. Plus unlimited saved settings in the app.
If I can get it in the $60, maybe $70 range, I might have to grab it. Lol.
After just grabbing the Big Muff pedal.
Which this has in it, with way more control options, that are now visible to see what you are setting things too.
I love that muff, but I loved the Bass Microfilter, which is what the Aftershock starts as when factory reset.
Hmmmm
He has another pedal that I might try to get a package deal going. If he will do both pedals for around $120, it’s prob gonna happen.
Sort of depends on response from these bass owners, and what I do or do not get.

2 Likes

Answer removed because I apparently wasn’t asked.

4 Likes

Didn’t ask you

2 Likes

msg rcvd

3 Likes

Looking up @PamPurrs new upright electric to see what that’s all about and then THIS gets suggested to me! It’s like they can see into my brain what I think would be cool, even things I don’t know about. Luckily, it will take me at least two years of research to confirm any first impression.

7 Likes

It looks awesome @DaveT.
I would love one :+1:
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

No problem. I’ll just send it on over.

8 Likes

Ow, that’s an excelent Purchase explanations/excuses for your partner. Got it from DaveT. Do you, by any chance, have any stingray laying around?

4 Likes

Sorry, @gcancella,
I don’t have any stingray’s.
I have 2 rickenbacker 4001 , both seventies.
I have 2 P-bass , both seventies
I have 2 harmony h22 basses both sixties
I have 1 of everything else.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

As I discussed on our live hang yesterday, the electric upright bass (EUB) that I purchased a few weeks ago has a slight crack in the headstock. My sales guy at the music store told me to go ahead and take it home and play while he awaits another supply of them.
A couple weeks ago I phoned him to inquire as to when he might get them, and he said they were on back order and he doesn’t know.
At that moment I was stricken with a GAS attack, and asked about trading up for the other, more expensive EUB I was admiring in the store, but alas it had sold and the store had some on order.
Yesterday, within 30 minutes of my departure from the live hang, he called to inform me that one had arrived and he’d put my name on it.
Later today I’m exchanging my Ibanez EUB for the much better N.S. Wave. I’ll see how good my negotiating skills are as I beat him up for the best deal on the upgrade.
Photos later.

9 Likes

Should be a straight swap for the inconvenience @PamPurrs.
Can’t wait to see the pics of the new addition to the family.:sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

5 Likes