GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

I can’t speak to the Android app, but I hear that one is downright unusable. The IPhone app is useable, but I am not so sure how useful it is.
I am not sure how to use it on the IMac, it did not show up as a drive, so I still need to figure that one out.
I just got my computer home today, and have not set it up yet. I did the GB and update to this pedal on my neighbors computer last night.
He wanted me to run it thru Abeldon, but since I am going to stick to GB (at least for now) so I just used it.
I have a way to get all access lifetime Abeldon set up on my computer, I am not sure yet as to weather I want to go down that path yet or not.

3 Likes

Otoh I do think it’s rather telling that a company sells a pedal with an app that’s been seriously broken for literally years now without a single app update or attempt to fix it.

4 Likes

That is quite puzzling. I think they are giving up on it, and letting the pedal stand alone on its own merit.
May also be why it is the cheapest pedal they have with phone app features. Cheaper by a good 30% if you consider that most of the Mini tone prints and the spectra comp run around $99 at the cheapest and the Wiretap is $68

3 Likes

Well if that’s the case then they’re being pretty fucking stupid. Word gets around fast especially with musicians. And the “we’ve already got your money, so sorry” attitude won’t serve them well. I’ve also spent half the night researching their plethora x5 pedal which multiple web sites claim offers “all the toneprints in one pedal”. They are obviously getting this info because tc is telling them this. Problem is, that’s not actually true, there’s a bunch missing. And it appears that they’re trying to hide this, or say that those missing are coming soon. Then be transparent and just tell people that.

3 Likes

Agreed, both points

4 Likes

TC’s customer service does not have an excellent reputation recently. Search online for details.

FWIW I had no issues with them when I returned a DOA BH250, but it was Soundhouse that refunded me, not TC, and that was after TC made them send the amp back.

I generally treat the current TC line with the same approach as Behringer (their current owner) - go in expecting to find some real gems of values, but don’t expect to be getting good service, and be prepared for returning defects.

I do deeply love both the Behringer and TC products I do own, don’t get me wrong.

5 Likes

I won’t, I get it, I am same boat. However, my last few BOSS pedals I am loving, and that San June pedal is awesome. I have found some other great bargains that have worked out too. Fortunately I have not had to try to deal with customer service at the likes of
Donner
Gokko
Caline
NuX
Even San June
I can only imagine.
Those are like throw always, either they are good and you are going to use them, until they break, or you get the real pedal you wanted but couldn’t justify the purchase at the time, etc…

3 Likes

GREAT NEWS on the WireTap front.
I said it did not work out of the box, and it might be broken.
Well, after updating it on my neighbors IMac yesterday, I just tested it and it works just fine.
So a little tip @itsratso, if yours does not work out of the box, just update it thru the TC website and it will be fine.

By not work I mean, bypass is fine, you play thru it no problem.
Step on the switch and the green light goes on, but no sound passes thru.
Turn off, sound passes thru.

So it recorded nothing and let no sound thru, but when I logged onto the app and paired it, it showed the recordings I tried to make, buy they were just blank

I tried more times after pairing it and each time it turned it on and off, it would save another file, but they were blank, so it was not dead, but not functioning.

I just checked it out now, after the update and it is fine.

Another blunder by TC if they are sending them out with software that doesn’t work and then having us update to get it to function.

I am sure TC support is “oh your wiretap does not work, well connect to a PC or Mac via USB and update the software, call us back if that doesn’t fix it”

Guess it was too much loss profit to recall.
But hey, I could have got the only bad one, the rest might be good out of the box???

Somebody else said it here before, but you will laugh at how they name the files.
Things like

My last date sucked
Driving down a dirt road
Dark alley, late night

IDK how they generated a randomized algorithm to name these things, but somebody had a sense of humor.
You can rename them on the app or in your computer of course.
You can sort them in the app and give them tags, file them and all, so the app is not totally useless if you are away from your pc or studio.
I hear the android app is unusable, but the IOS will get the job done.

1 Like

Boss (i.e. Roland) makes great and often top notch pedals. You can think of them as the standard other pedals are measured against. Not the absolute best compared to boutique brands in most cases but usually really really good and a safe option to go with for most of their line. Built like tanks too.

You should definitely try the Boss RV- line of digital reverb/delay pedals, even if you don’t think you like delay. I love my RV-3, it has a great cold reverb and the reverb+delay combos sound haunting and killer. The RV-5 and 6 are newer and better in some ways.

Love my Tu-2 too, nice tuner, very transparent buffered bypass.

3 Likes

I traded the Tu-2 for the BC-1X
I have the Boss Noise Suppressor, and it does the trick for buffering and getting rid of the Hum. I am loving it, you need to find the right setting so it doesn’t suck volume, but if set right it is a GEM

For now I am using my MB-60b as the tuner and it does the trick. If that ever goes away, I may go Polytune or find another TU-2 (they are a dime a dozen used) or I may even try the Monoproce tuner.
Like most monoprice items it is priced very competitively, and it has buffered option.

they make a headphone amp for around $20. I heard people talking about headphone amps, and to stay away from the cheap amazon ones, Ammon I think among others, and go for the Vox.
i am wondering if anybody has tried the Monoprice?
They usually have good items. i am not in the market for one, but wonder if it is the cheaper option to the Vox people might like?

2 Likes

What exactly do you mean by headphone amp?

There’s things like the Vox AmPlug - a thing you plug in to your bass and then plug headphones in to it. This is a less frequent use of the term “headphone amp”.

Usually headphone amplifiers refer to small amps used to drive headphones from a line in audio source and are used for better audio fidelity in higher impedance headphones. Things like this:

(I actually own this one - would not necessarily recommend it, but it’s cheap :slight_smile:

The reason I ask is there is a very large range of the latter, and relatively few of the former.

3 Likes

Headphone amp as comparrison to the Vox, plug into your bass

3 Likes

Ahh. I’d just get the AmPlug 2 Bass (branded for Vox, Blackstar, etc). it’s inexpensive enough as it is and worked fine for me. Some people do have issues with it with some basses but I can only see that getting worse with the cheaper clones.

3 Likes

2 Likes

That’s only saving $10 and is not bass specific like the AmPlug. Don’t see the point really.

4 Likes

I am not looking for one, but since I was talking about Monoprice, I just brought it up. Some people have said they wanted a cheaper option, but hear the cheap ones suck.
So I was bringing this up, since Monoprice has a reputation for inexpensive - better quality then junk

4 Likes

:grimacing:

This is without a doubt the nicest bass I’ve ever laid my hands on. I mean, I just pick it up start swearing it’s so -$#&+@ing nice.

The neck is definitely wider (compared to my jazz 4), and feels flatter. Very easy to move around, and I love the shorter frets.

Already feel like adjusting to 5 strings will be more work than the fanned frets.

It also feels noticeably lighter than my Jazz bass too, but I think they’re close by weight… Maybe a balance thing .

14 Likes

i wonder how those slanted frets play, everybody says you get used to them really quick.

8 Likes

Wow, nice, congrats!

What model is that? A Nolly??

Wait until @howard wakes up - he is going to be so envious… that color alone :grin:

9 Likes

Wow :star_struck:
Looks really good!

7 Likes