GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

@dylanforrester54 Congrats!

4 Likes

Yes I tried it a few times. I’m just not hearing big difference, it’s much easier to record directly, lol. I do plan to record my bass drum with it. That mic is great for podcast, it redefined the term “love listening to the sound of your voice”. I used it for a voice over/ narration for one of the cooking video I made for a friend, it sounds awesome, it encourages you to find your inner deep voices, lol.

6 Likes

Wow you’re not holding back on the mics :rofl:

For those who haven’t priced mics, that’s a very nice $2k-3k microphone.

7 Likes

My mistake was getting the Robbie preamp. It’s very impressive. I just want to put a good mic through it. I’d definitely try different ways to mic the amp. Maybe it’s time to dig out my Meyer sound HD1 out.

I hope they still perform my puppy chew the paper cone off. 10+ years ago Meyer sounds wanted $1400 to fix it.

5 Likes

Very nice @dylanforrester54

3 Likes

Haha I read that the mouse is good for a baritone voice. @Al1885 these are my mics: A Rode Podmic which I use every day and a Slate digital vms ml-1 for recording vocals. I also own a Shure SM58 which I keep for live stuff. I traded the Slate for an old audio interface that I wasn’t using, it’s a really good mic modeller and also lots of fun to play with. Most of all I am really impressed with the Rode Podmic and even prefer it over the Shure SM7B which is 3 times as expensive.

3 Likes

I just use a SM58. It’s basically the Fender P-Bass of mics.

4 Likes

For sure! I would have kept using the Shure if the Slate wasn’t for “free”, but tbh I did notice a difference between using a dynamic and condensator mic. It’s all very fascinating and new to me and I totally understand why studio engineers are so interested in owning a range of different mics (especially for vocals and drums). Would be even more fun if I could actually sing :joy:

I do like the aesthetics of the Rode Podmic.

4 Likes

I like them because they (and the -57) are probably the lowest priced good mic. I tried several clones of them, including Shure’s own (like the PGA-58) and none were remotely as good. Behringer’s 8500 is utter garbage in comparison.

Indestructible too, which is nice.

4 Likes

In case you wondered what they did…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x17PAJZIXtQ

One interesting fact is they don’t do the 55-point inspection on guitars under $300.

8 Likes

I still don’t have much GAS. Not for new basses, and the basses I have all have pickups I like. I’ll probably replace the pickup in my GWB35 since discovering the housing type, and I might even drill a hole in it or three to mount traditional electronics (and tbh I am OVER stacked/concentric pots/knobs lols…)

I bought a Launchpad Pro mk3 for $170 used recently because that was a hell of a deal for those. Otherwise… eh? I just want more Darkglass Tone Capsules for any remaining basses that do not have them :joy:

5 Likes

Everyone and their mums own or use sm58 at one point or another. It’s a benchmark. It’s the first mic for most people, built like a tank. I’m, obviously a big fan of Blue, their encore 200 and encore 300 are simply awesome. The condenser encore 300 will give many large diaphragm condenser mic a run for the money.

As for singing, @Paul there’s always auto-tune, lol. For the longest time I was knocking it, but use it properly it saves so much time and effort. Made myself to be the biggest hypocrite.

3 Likes

Completely agree. Seriously, Melodyne is so good. Very natural.

3 Likes

I picked one up recently myself. Can’t wait to try it out.

6 Likes

I need to pick up a mic to start recording mandolin.

4 Likes

I think, as of right now, I’m with you. I’ve upgraded my basses, my DAI, my DAW, and I’ve even pulled in a compression pedal to play around with. I need to fully figure out all of that before I start getting more.

…although I am watching both a Vanquish and an Icon over on Reverb. I think that’s largely fantasy, though. If I were to pop for one of those before I’d sold what I’m trying to sell, I’d be in the doghouse.

3 Likes

@JustTim I don’t think you have had time to develop more Gas pressure since your last acquisition :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Blueberry, dragonfly or hummingbird I used all 3 before dragonfly as a pair. They are quite awesome as each offers exceptional high end clarity.

The hummingbird is very interesting and very specialized mic almost single function ( my kind of tool). Personally, I’d get the encore 300. It will do just as good job as the hummingbird and a lot more.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info @Al1885. I’ll start YouTubing demos on your suggestions.

3 Likes

Same here - I have the last two on order and am want for nothing else (less the remaining two MIJ flame maples that I need for the collection, and one of those would swap one of what I have out most likely due to a different pickup config).

Anything past that and it would be to replace/upgrade one I have with something I really don’t need (better fretless, etc).

1 Like