GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

The BEAD is a good idea for playing in the 2nd position if you have an extra 4 string to do it with, but I still prefer the 5 string. I hate the idea of giving up my G string in favor of a B string.
Some people complain about the shorter gap between strings on a 5, but I consider that to be an advantage for string jumping. Like everything else, it’s just something to get accustomed to.
I love that if I’m playing in the key of A from the 5th fret of the E string, I have that 5th below (E) on the B string, or if I’m playing in C from the 8th fret of the E string, I have that G right below, etc. To me its a matter of having those extra tones available, and the efficiency in not having to move around the fretboard so much.
I rarely play the low B, C, or D on the B string, but I’m glad they’re there when I want/need them. My love for the 5 string stems from the reasons stated above.

5 Likes

I have a bass for BEAD, but I still have a 5 string, and if I end up selling it, I will be replacing it with the same bass you just ordered.

4 Likes

On Monday, I was just accidentally looking through ebay, like I do every day.
I look for bass related stuff by searching with the term “bass” then scrolling really fast through any fishing stuff. It appears to be a relatively dangerous pastime.

I saw this tiny little red bass cabinet. It’s a Phil Jones C4 lite.
It has four little five inch speakers in it.

I’ve never heard Phil Jones stuff in real life. But I’ve seen the reviews and I was prepared to take a chance. I’d already decided that I needed to find a bass cab so that my little Hartke TX300 wouldn’t sit on the floor. There was a TC electronics 2x12 not far away, but he wasn’t keen on couriering it.
I am still waiting to see what happens when he changes his mind.
The little Phil Jones C4 lite called out to me because it was patently ridiculous to assume that it could do the job of a bigger cab, even though all the reviews and youtube clips suggested that it could. They must be lying.
And the fact that my computer audio system has smaller speakers and demonstrates bass VERY well. Obviously I must totally ignore this obvious truth. My ego says that only big speakers can make the big sound.
I will spend some money to find out I’m correct.

So there was a paypal accident and it was on the way.
It arrived while I was at work on Friday and as Friday night is the night to visit the local Music Shop, I went home at lunch to pick it up.
When we plugged it into a little Orange amp at the shop, it didn’t work.
Until the bass manager went “Oh” and tweaked another knob.
Then we all stood around it desperately trying to not believe what we were hearing.
I actually walked away from it to the other end of the shop, hoping to have the sound somehow lose something once I crossed an invisible limit line of credibility.
The bass manager and the store supervisor were both looking at each other because they’d never heard Phil Jones gear either, but they’d seen a special order for a 200 watt suitcase come through.
Then I asked to see how it handles the 5 string Warwick Custom Shop Thumb’s B string.
I was very happy with it. My practice amp is a Roland Cube 100 and this cab/amp setup kicks sand in its face, steals its girlfriend and drinks its beer while riding into the sunset on its Harley.

I’m going to have some fun with this because absolutely nobody is going to believe what it can do and it’s lighter than my Bass Cube 30.

This morning, we decided to run it head to head with one quarter of the Hartke quadra-quad.

Without changing anything but which cab the plug was going into, we did A/B tests into one Hartke XL 4.5
As you can expect, there was a difference, but not anywhere near as much as you might think. The XL 4.5 was noticeably louder and it had what I immediately thought of as a firmer lower mid sound. However, it does weigh 99 pounds and it’s the biggest object I can fit in the back seat of my car.
The PJB C4 lite weighs 21lb and will fit in the passenger footwell.

I know which one will be taken to friend’s places.
Now I need another one to make a tiny stack…

7 Likes

Nice!

6 Likes

That is cool, I love the size comparrison.

1 Like

This is in Phoenix, I don’t think he will Ship, I may have to ask @PamPurrs to get it for me, or drive out to get it.
The reason I want this bass is because it is the exact same era as my B-4E, I could the this and find the D-4E of that era adn have a little trio.

But realistically, I am not gonna go thru the trouble. I will wait til I find one that is not glossed, and close to home. I am just showing it cuz it is BAD AF

Then this shows up tonight on the local OFFER UP
The EBMM Serial Website states it was made on April 21st, 1992
(Sublime fans should know that)
1992 EBMM Stingray 4H Standard $950

So, for the same price as the Sterling Ray34 Black Ash, I can get me an EBMM Stingray. I am gonna try to look at it tomorrow.

My buddy just took this home from Sam Ash yesterday. it is MIM.

The Pick guard is off right now, he is putting in Agiular pick ups

6 Likes

That first bass is something special but I just know I’d be going for that MM especially at that price :+1:

3 Likes

That first bass is gonna be one of those ones that I keep looking for, and one day, when all the stars are aligned, I will find the right one ya know? If I got it now, I wouldn’t have anything to be looking forward to. It would be like reading the last page of the book first, ya know?

The EBMM on the other hand. DROOL!!!

5 Likes

I know what you mean about the last page of a book thing. As much as I love my Fender I do see either an American P bass or a premium Ibanez at some point in the future . Just because I can I suppose.
That EBMM is certainly a chance to own the “ real deal” for a Sterling price.

5 Likes

that is a great quote in it’s own. It could apply to lots of things, not just basses. Any good deal really.

5 Likes

Last night I told my bass coach that I had a Sterling MM Stingray on the way, and he told me he has one also (he didn’t have it with him in the studio). We then got into a conversation about the Ernie Ball one to which he replied that he has played them a few times, but doesn’t feel they are worth the extra money other than for bragging rights. I’m just fine with the Sterling version.
(for now)

6 Likes

Yeah, probably best to see if you even like it at all before dropping $3k on a bass :slight_smile:

I’ll be curious what you think of the tone. Stingray tone is pretty different from your current basses. I happen to like it.

4 Likes

I’m trying to convince myself that the same is true about the MIA P bass and the MIM version which I have.
As I’ve swapped the pickups and pots it’s not a standard MIM so I’m even arguing that point with myself but there’s still that nagging voice that reminds me it’s not an MIA which is after all where it all started.
Damn these voices in my head :joy:

6 Likes

Yeah, but this is a chance to have an EBMM for a SBMM price, because the SBMM I want is $899, and with tax would be more then this EBMM.
NOW
I have to see it
I have to assess its condition
I have to play it
I have to like it

But if all those are in order, then it is a chance, and not one that happens very often, in fact, I may never get this chance again. (assuming all those things fall in order of course)

All that said, it is not a guarantee that even if all those fall in order I come home with it. But it is a strong possibility

4 Likes

Good luck. I hope it’s nice and you get it.

4 Likes

there ya go :+1:

4 Likes

I just talked to him, I can go anytime after 1pm today

2 Likes

So I found out that he already has somebody coming after 10, so I am only going to see it if it doesn’t get sold. Bummer

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s a bummer…

3 Likes

Yep, its gone :sob:

3 Likes