GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

I see! So maybe someone is indeed the luckiest mf today…

4 Likes

reverb girl said it was likely a mistake. i’m guessing it was, OR it was listed for $1, email alerts for the 100% price drop were sent out, and then the listing was immediately canceled. so now you would have to PM the shop to make an offer on it, or wait to see if it’s relisted. not the most efficient way to sell something, so i’m guessing just a mistake.

4 Likes

More likely they are pissed off big time cuz the seller would have cancelled the order.

3 Likes

That $1 for shipping was a deal killer for me.

4 Likes

Or a second tier @PamPurrs :joy:
Jamie

4 Likes

You’re not helping @Jamietashi :scream:

4 Likes

Not that the resident Stingray cult needs any encouragement, but check out the tone on this guy’s EBMM Stingray even without the Glowplug.

It’s going in to a miked Orange Crush 100. The Glowplug helps it out a lot, but even without it, that’s the richest and least thin I have ever heard any Stingray sound. Still sounds like a Stingray, too.

Playing starts at 2:45.

5 Likes

That is a sick ray. I love the pick guard, I think I am gonna get one for my Ray4, it will look bad ass with the chrome.
Yeah, sounds great, I love Orange amp sound.

4 Likes

Hard to keep that shine up @T_dub ,Toby.
You might have to get into pep boys for some Meguires chrome polish​:joy::rofl:
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Him or me :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

I tried to watch it, but my Spanish is not good enough to be able to comprehend what he was saying. I turned on CC, but it gave me the closed captioning in Spanish LOL.

3 Likes

No need to understand the guy. Just listen to the bass.

5 Likes

Oh man. I had somehow missed that the Darkglass Element is also a DI.

So basically, you get an on-board cab sim with an IR loader and companion app (i.e. replaces things like the Mooer Radar), a DI out, a headphone amp, and Bluetooth Audio in for backing tracks for $300.

Ok now it’s much more tempting.

2 Likes

I’m a DG fan but I’m not sure it would replace the radar. The problem I ran into when looking for a replacement is there are a lot of IR loaders that do cab sims, a few that do amp sims and very very few that do both (and only one that is small and cheap). Edit: actually I believe it was you that uses a plugin amp sim? If so and if strictly running through your DAW, amp sims might not matter to you. I run my radar into my amp like any other stomp pedal so I need it.

2 Likes

Yep, I also run IR cab sims in the DAW. For me the cabsim would be most useful just when messing around. You’re right about the lack of amp sims though, and you can’t do those with IR, really.

1 Like

Yep I learned that from you. Early on I told tdub the wrong info on that, I thought IR cab and amp sims were basically the same. Oops.

3 Likes

The bummer for me is the Element wouldn’t really work for me in my setup. I need to run my headphone amp off my DAI so that I can use it as a monitor for the tracks in the DAW. So, running it as a DI at the end of my chain would not be useful for me.

2 Likes

20 lashings for you. :rofl:

4 Likes

Why is it better to use headphones from the DAI and not from the Computer / DAW. Is it a latency thing, cuz the DAI has Direct Monitoring and the DAW (in my case GB) has monitoring as well.
Is there that much difference going from the DAI instead of the DAW?
If I were to do this, how would I hear the track I am playing thru.
Would I have to do and AUX out from the computer to the DAI? and if I did this would I have Latency problems from the track coming from Garageband.
Or are you recording the backing track or song thru the DAI at the same time you are playing your instrument?
And if you did that, would you be recording to the same track, or is there a way to separate the track so the instrument and backing track / song go into separate tracks?

1 Like

Yes, it’s latency. You are using it from the computer/DAW, you are just using the DAI as a sound output device on the computer.

This describes it well:

In addition, in my case, I am always runnign in to my DAI, so even with the computer off, it’s still convenient to use as the line out to my headphone amp.

The Element would work for the latter case nicely as it would be basically my DI at the end of my chain just pre-DAI. But it would not work for me while recording.

yes, in really bad cases up to about 100ms.

The DAI is a sound output device as well as input. The computer plays the tracks in the DAW back through the DAI. Many have knobs to blend between the monitoring types.

No - it would create a feedback loop. You just use the DAI as the sound output device.

There is always a way to record to a separate track in a DAW :slight_smile:

1 Like