GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

I almost bought a Fender Marcus Miller Jazz last year. Cost and weight nixed the deal for me.

3 Likes

Coming from a Warwick the weight and price were very acceptable @MikeC :joy:

5 Likes

I understand, believe me. For me, I used the bread I was going to spend on the Fender MM Jazz to put a down payment on my custom, and I’ve never looked back. :smile:

6 Likes

There’s a few listed for sale now in the Talkbass classifieds.

6 Likes

Yes. Thats where I saw them for the first time. The better of the two just lowered the price a bit today. I love the blue color of that bass! I would like to keep this purchase under 2k. That rules out the Sadowsky and The Mike Lull type basses. The Fender select is still pretty high on the list as are the Bacchuss woodline’s. I am not a fan of the look of the Marcus Miller Fender.

5 Likes

14 Likes

Are you getting this???

I have been eyeing a Woodline (in brown oil) with that fretboard for quite some time, but with the customs and VAT fees, it is not going to happen any time soon :cry:

5 Likes

No, just living vicariously. I am quite happy with my orange jazz, but there are tons of good jazz basses out there and as long as @Shibata remains undecided I will keep popping them out there. I would love an oil finish bass

7 Likes

He really needs to hurry up and make a decision or I am going to end up with another bass :melting_face:

10 Likes

The passive with boost is pretty cool too!

4 Likes

Never let it be said I am not a creature of impulse.

March has sucked across the board in the Huntley house. As mentioned in another thread, I have to sell off almost all of my redundant gear to pay for a huge expense we had to make. Yesterday, my frustration got the better of me and I decided I wanted something new, that maybe something new would help me cope/deal/feel better. So I took the bass I was keeping - my American Dimension HH IV - down to GC to see what I could get as a trade-in.

I found something I really liked, and @John_E will probably approve of this: I am now the owner of a brand new, MIJ Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass. The all-black PJ one, the one that was recently discontinued.

Pics to come in the “show us your basses” thread later.

For those keeping score at home, I don’t think it actually helped me cope or deal with my stress and frustration. However, it did give me new bass oooohs and aaaaahs, which has been a welcome momentary diversion.

8 Likes

Nice, but man I would never trade in anything to GC, at least around here, they give you zippo.

5 Likes

:joy:
There are people who can help you with this, Tim!

Congrats on your new bass though :smile:

7 Likes

I’ve heard that is the case. This is my second time, though, and both times they gave me enough to get what I wanted. Both times I’ve gotten what I probably would have gotten off of Reverb after all their fees and charges and the like.

I will say that the first time the guy put the Dimension in the system it came back with like… $400. I laughed. Turns out he put it in as a MIM single H Deluxe Dimension. Once we figured that out, I got just under a grand for it. And I paid 1200 for it, including a really nice Fender deluxe case and strap, both of which I kept.

7 Likes

Sounds :star_struck:. Can’t wait to see it!
You’ll get no judgement here. I’ve been known to buy a thing or two out of frustration under the guise of inspiration. That said, I hope it is the salve you seek and it comes alive under your fingers brother @JustTim !!

5 Likes

Congrats man. Hope they threw in a microfiber cloth to help with the fingerprints

6 Likes

Congrats! Sounds like you di great on the trade in. Cant wait to see pictures!

4 Likes

Non- bass GAS day today.
First up, another notch in my Conn sax collection.
A very rare 1930 Conn Stretch soprano sax

Conn was at a high point for innovation about 3 1/2 minutes before the Great Depression which basically destroyed their “Experimental Lab’s” aspirations.

The stretch soprano was a redesign to try and address notorious intonation issues in all sopranos. It’s 3/4” longer than normal sopranos, and requires a special mouthpiece to play at all close to in tune, which has a very small chamber to counter the added volume of the horn. This was also a huge negative for soprano players who already might have had a mouthpiece they loved. Anyway, one more down!

9 Likes

Non-bass GAS day (again, busy door day today).
During this months live Zoom hang @joergkutter asked me if I had drum pedals to go with my drum pad, sadly that’s all it took for me to start researching them. And now, the answer is yes.

Roland kick drum pedal and Alesis hi-hat.
The Roland pedals are amazing however the hi-hat doesn’t work with my Alesis Strike Multipad (guess how I know!). So back went the hi-hat but kept the kick so I didn’t have to pay return shipping, and over to Alesis (which is actually discontinued but I found new).
Kick is working out of the box, Alesis has no instructions and am awaiting an “in-house made video” from Alesis tech support on how to configure the hi-hat. What could possibly go wrong?! :rofl:

8 Likes

Haha, you’re easy :grin: (and for everyone reading, no, it wasn’t a “love hang”, that’s just autocorrect for you :joy:)

But, speaking about being “easy”… when you first showed the Strike Pad, I was rather intrigued and also went ahead and investigated and found a used one a little while later (with pedals!). However, this is not the way forward for me after all… it’s a cool piece of hardware, but somehow not for me! I might have to go the Howard way for drums and do all of it in a MIDI editor.

StrikePad goes up for sale soon!

Congrats on the sax and the drum gear - hope you get it all to work!

By the way, with all your funds, you’d think you could afford a decent rug :joy: (hint: IKEA!)

5 Likes