GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

That’s a great choice, Pam . . . :+1: About the same size as their 500 combo, but lots more versatility.

Wishing you good luck and many happy hours playing with it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Oh @PamPurrs why oh why have you done this ?!
I have been thinking of separates and you’re recent purchase has really fueled my GAS :joy:

7 Likes

That was a good choice for sure - the only way I would consider a 500W head is as a standalone head :slight_smile:

The ironic exception being the Rumble as the Rumble 500 combo manages to give you a 2x10 with the head and still be under 16kg. Which is pretty amazing really.

8 Likes

@Mac, part of my job here on BassBuzz is fueling people’s GAS. Thank you for validating my efforts. Now get out there and go shopping!

8 Likes

I would but I’m trying not to justify buying a custom Harley atm. But then again …:joy:

5 Likes

Buy a used shovelhead or something and upgrade it, save a bunch of basses in cash over a new custom :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve got an old fxrs low rider that I should be upgrading but I’m missing my fat ass Night Rod and have really got to get passed it going. Sad but true
Most of the good older stuff has ended up going to Japan funnily enough

4 Likes

There’s a punk biker subculture here that dresses in '50s style clothes, greased Happy Days style hairstyles, rides harleys to parks, and has big drinking parties listening to early rock.

I’m not making this up.

7 Likes

Oh I know :+1:
I’ve read several articles about them

5 Likes

Here I am with my lowly Rumble 25 Combo not understanding a damn thing people are saying while nodding in agreement about heads and cabs so I look smarter than I am.

8 Likes

I’ve learned my lesson over the years, buying on impulse isn’t good. I now use my 72 hour rule. If I think I really need something, I don’t buy it until I revisit the subject in 72 hours.

9 Likes

It’s quite simple really: a “head” is an amplifier without speakers, a “cab” (short for "cabinet’) is a speaker without an amplifier. So your combo is essentially a head and a cab in one unit.

9 Likes

@Mike_NL That was a great description - thank you very much!

5 Likes

@PamPurrs Super nice!!! Once you have played with it for a while I hope you give us your thoughts on the tone. Enjoy!

4 Likes

Welp, out with the BA210 and in with my new rig for the Fender trifecta!

(Rumble 200 w/Rumble 115 cab)

Technically a downgrade but not in any way I will ever realistically notice. I just lusted after the silver cloth look and if I can’t own things that I like to look at then what is the point of a hobby anyway? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I like it. Rumble head and Rumble cab… can’t go wrong with that.

5 Likes

Hmm. Interesting. Not harshing on your choice here but I would have stuck with the Ampeg myself and just added the 115 to its external speaker out, giving you a 2x10 and a 15, which (frankly) sounds awesome. Any reason you went with the Fender head instead?

I prefer the Ampeg sound to Fender but that’s mostly personal preference I guess. Fender amps are good but lack that Ampeg tone. Granted, the BA210 isn’t exactly going to sound like a SVT, but still :slight_smile:

5 Likes

No worries at all @howard — at this stage in my development I don’t really notice the Ampeg sound, and I decided to just go down to one cab rather than stack equipment in a corner of my office.

I (carefully) test-drove the 115 at the local music shop paired with a Rumble 800 and fell in love with both the sound and look of the 115 and the 800 wasn’t a slouch but definitely WAY overkill for my small home office. This one should do me for the foreseeable future.

And I’m just a PF-350 away from the Ampeg sound if I really decide I miss it — lots of customizability here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hah, yep, true, the PortaFlex line is inexpensive and convenient now, also small and light as they have a nice small class D power section while keeping the ampeg tone in the preamp.

The recent wave of excellent preamps fronting light and inexpensive class D power amps is awesome. You don’t need a huge tube power amp to get a great sound any more :slight_smile:

3 Likes

New Darkglass pedal ahoy! Altho I’m not really into DG anymore I still do like the products they create. This ADAM from Nolly is really innovative imo

4 Likes