GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Something interesting I found out about Les Claypool and the strings he uses on his Main bass, a Carl Thompson Piccolo bass, the brand is a standard brand, and I will have to go back and look again, but for his bass tuned EADG, he used two A strings and two G strings, but tuned the A to E and a G to D.
Pretty interesting.
He had some other interesting ideas about recording his bass on some records too.

just remembered, he uses Dean Markley strings

5 Likes

Cool. Subscribed. :metal:

3 Likes

Hey Everyone!
I’ve got a bad case of GAS and in the market for a decent P-Bass. Budget restrictions are up to $850. What, in your collective educated opinions, would you recommend? A lot of basses have been discussed here on the forum and I’d like to add your personal experience to my decision making process.
Thanks!

6 Likes

Strict P-bass or “bass with a P pickup?”

I’m loving my BB734A so far and it is right at your price point.

MIJ Fenders are close to that too here, talk about terrible timing :rofl:

Man. They could have delivered this to you:

https://www.soundhouse.co.jp/products/detail/item/245515/

7 Likes

Oh yeah, that is nice. Strict P-bass is what I’m looking for.

7 Likes

You finally got one!?! Wow, when? Which color?

Congrats! I already miss mine (BB735)

6 Likes

Last weekend! Got the burst.

10 Likes

That’s beautiful @howard

5 Likes

Thanks!

6 Likes

I thought I might get another BB down the line until I went on the Yamaha site and saw this! UGH!
Now, I really regret selling my BB735.

5 Likes

BB Series is not discontinued. Looks like you somehow went to the BB424X page :slight_smile:

Someday your BB can ride again :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My bad… Whew!

5 Likes

Fender Noir P Bass (MIJ?-I think Howard posted a pic of one of these in a store recently) with EMG Geezer pickups (original pickups included). (Edit: MIM acccording to the seller). It’s listed at $800 but has been on the market for a bit so you could probably get under that.

It’s not a strict P-Bass, but I’m enjoying my Fender Deluxe Active Precision Bass Special. It has both a P pickup and a bridge J, a precision body, a jazz neck, and active electronics. The P pickup is a lot stronger than the J (not surprisingly) and you can turn off the J pickup if you want (but nice to have in case you wanted more tonal variety). Full price is over your budget but I got mine for $600 total used through Guitar Center so there are deals to be had.

3 Likes

Thread says MIM.

What does this mean? Why not?

2 Likes

Thanks for the correction on the country of origin. I’ve edited my original comment to reflect that.

I said it’s not a strict P-Bass because it has a Jazz neck and a Jazz pickup. But I prefer the Jazz neck and the versatility the Jazz pickup provides, hence my purchase.

4 Likes

Ah - I mis-read. You were saying yours isn’t a strict P, and I thought you were saying the ad wasn’t. my bad.

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion @mateoloco. Not crazy about the matte finish, but I’ll bookmark it and give it some thought.
Thanks!

3 Likes

I apologize for the ambiguous pronoun usage. It’s generally bad form to use the pronoun before you use the noun it’s replacing. As a former English teacher (and current pedant) I should know better.

6 Likes

M.I.M Fender @JerryP ?
I don’t know what they’re costing in the USA but I paid under $1000 aud for a brand new one

3 Likes

The ones I have seen are definitely MIJ. Retail at just over $1k.

Example:

No idea if there are MIM’s too - TalkBass thread above says the one for sale there is MIM though.

Can verify they look stunning in person though. Here’s two I saw myself:

That was at Kurosawa. Click on the pic to see the full effect, the redline is subtle and killer looking. Roughly $1070 US.

So $800 for a used MIM vs $1.1k for a new MIJ seems a pretty lousy deal :slight_smile:

Of course those are the MIJ prices in Japan. No idea what the US import price would be.

3 Likes