GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Yes, I know exactly where it is. Trouble is for some reason, I can’t “shop the store” online in the Pearl City store like I can any other GC store. Good idea about shipping to store.
Thanks!

2 Likes

I have been checking the local stores and none of them carry Schecter or LTD. Maybe a GC ship to store on either one of those.

2 Likes

I’m open to used equipment. There may be a better selection of used stuff than new.

Yes. I have a place to store stuff but it’s not climate (or critter) controlled.

5 Likes

Better prices anyway. Plus they are used the moment you open the box anyway so might as well let someone else eat the depreciation :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A store that I saw online carries Tobias ‘Toby’ . Anyone care to comment on that brand?

5 Likes

:+1:

3 Likes

Thanks for everyone’s comments. All well taken. I have until September to figure this out and I’ll still have my TB-4P in the mean time.

4 Likes

It’s the “cheap” version of the Michael Tobias basses (which are “boutique” basses). Check out what Josh (and Gio, and Ben) say:

5 Likes

Thanks @joergkutter !

4 Likes

@T_dub tjat makes total sense for sure I’m the same way master one and then move on to master another thing. It’s easy to get into too many things all at once by sheer excitement and then not really feel progressive at all.

2 Likes

The only problem I have with that ramp would be the length of it. Whiles it’s neat that it goes from neck adjustment wheel to the pickup it would be in the way when I want to pop a g or even d string.

I made this one to try on my short scale still need to adjust the thumb grove but it was working.

Now that a great reason to own a 3D printer because the finished texture is spot on for a ramp smooth but not glossy.

6 Likes

It’s a great bass. I love Tobias the asymmetrical neck feels fantastic. Light weight and funktastic.

Toby is almost identical but different still offer the similar neck feel and playability. The biggest down fall is the electronics. It has to go. It sounds weak and hollow not enough punch and the preamp with the noose is a joke. Switch it out to and emg would make that bass a gig worthy bass for sure.

I have a plan for mine but have not had the time to switch yet. I’ve got all of the components but that project have not make it on to the list. I got the emg jazz pickups and since it has 4 knob space I’ll add the vmc or exb to fill that knob, both would make great addition especially if you do any slapping.

3 Likes

Not a problem for me that popping malarkey for me @Al1885
I don’t slap :wave:

3 Likes

I believe that Gibson bought out Tobias, and manufacture them now at or below Epiphone level.

That said, I agree with Al, I think the shape is cool, and then neck and body overall feel great. Just don’t sound great stock.

Other wise, this Toby would certainly own a Toby bass by now.

So, you will want a quality case, not an inexpensive gig bag for storage.

3 Likes

Yeah not many companies make asymmetrical neck. It’s fatter at the top by E strings and thinner by G string. It’s very comfortable. Definitely one of my favorite neck feel even at $200.

3 Likes

A lot of the MTD’s look just incredible but are a bit out of my price range.

One of their lower end models at $1500.

4 Likes

Looks like a lot of the Kingstons are in the $1k-$1.5k range though.

2 Likes

$900 even

https://www.guitarcenter.com/MTD/Kingston-Saratoga-Deluxe-Electric-Bass-Cherry-Burst-1500000030150.gc

4 Likes

Probably the best bet if you want one of these and can swing it, skip the Epiphone and go straight to the Tobias production-line basses.

These will not have the same tone issues as the Toby, plus you can get double-bucks and P pickups.

Though if you want a J/J, upgrading the preamp and pickups on the Toby would be inexpensive in comarison, still.

2 Likes

What makes USA Tobias pre or post Gibson great was the combination of craftsmanship and funky Bartolini I have the killer B, growler and 5 string Renegade love them. I’’l sell all my other basses before I start on my Tobias. :smile:

4 Likes