Gear questions that may seem silly to some

As an easy case, I’m guessing plug into PA ….

5 Likes

This is a PA with a 12” subwoofer and a 2-way top with a 6” woofer and high frequency horn. I have no problem putting the bass through this. Sounds as good as any 1x12” bass cabinet, probably a little better because they didn’t exactly design that sub light enough for a musician to carry.

7 Likes

That’ll get the job done!

3 Likes

Yeah something exactly like this or similar would be ideal. I think I would actually try 2xDBR12 for live use and maybe add a 12" sub if needed. I’d need two of the main speaker for stereo effects from the synths, but it wouldn’t hurt the guitar or bass any either.

4 Likes

I haven’t heard that one yet, but I’d guess it to be pretty darn good. I had one of the Yamaha StagePas systems and was really impressed for the size and price. In that category, my easy first choice would be the QSC K12, but at more than double the price I’d definitely want to hear the DBR12 first.

3 Likes

Yeah the DBR seems like a nice entry-tier PA/monitor, great reviews. Need to check one out in person.

3 Likes

A friend of mine plays a lot of pub type gigs, just himself singing with backing tracks. He recently bought a pair of these and they sounded really good to me when I heard him play a couple of weeks ago in a smallish venue.

6 Likes

Cool. Two of those should be able to handle a pub nicely.

4 Likes

What about the DXR12? I heard some good things about those in terms of build quality

1 Like

I found a Mackie Thump 15 A on sale today, going with that!

2 Likes

Nice! I like Mackie gear :ok_hand:

2 Likes

The one thing that you may eventually want to do (or not) is try using a cab sim of some kind to feed the PA rig. Normally, a cab sim wouldn’t necessarily be used to feed a bass cabinet because that is putting a cabinet color on top of a cabinet color. When feeding a full range speaker though, this has potential to make the full range cabinet actually sound like the simulated cabinet, depending how flat the PA speaker turns out to be.

That Mackie will take an instrument plugged directly into it so you are good to go with a bass and a cable. This is a case where you may want a pedal preamp since it looks like the PA speaker doesn’t have any instrument type controls, just voice EQ presets.

3 Likes

Dave,
Thanks so much! So a pre-amp pedal with an IR loader would fit the bill here nicely? How about an IK Multimedia Stomp I/O?

Thanks again and have a good day,
Bill

1 Like

It’s probably best that others chime in in this. I’m not familiar with that piece and my setup isn’t what most people would do.

Giving it a first glance it would certainly do what you need. It has the price advantage of being able to also serve as a DAI to a computer for recording. It seems to sit price-wise mid way between the Zoom pedals that many people in this forum like and the Line 6 HX Stomp, also very well liked. I don’t have any idea how the quality of Zoom compares to Amplitude compares to Line 6.

I did run across one post in the IK forum talking about possibly not being able to use an IR loader on the stomp version of amplitude. That may need verification if you are wanting to go outside their library of cabinets. Their claim is their sims are better because they use more smarts than an IR file is capable of.

HTH. Others probably have more insight.

3 Likes

The Zoom B1 Four is very good value for money. Line6 HX Stomp is IMO much better but also a lot more expensive. It’s not far off from the iRig price.

The iRig looks like fun, but personally I see iRig more as a gimmicky brand. The HX Stomp is serious piece of hardware and used by many artists live and in studios.

I also see a trend of more amp/cab sims pedals these days. A lot of good options out there :ok_hand:

5 Likes