Genre? Similarities? Help me with an argument

So indie = independent.
Thank you for clearing this up for me.

You young whipper-snappers and your short forms will be the death of me.
When I get a text message on my phone I have to take it to the neighbors 18 year old kid to have it translated :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

lol. They’ve been called indies since the 70s.

5 Likes

So the two songs are…

Song 1: Imagine Dragons - I’ll make it up to you (Instrumental) - 2017
Song 2: Coldplay - White Shadows (Instrumental) - 2007

The friend created a playlist of 9 songs that are either instrumental or instrumental versions and I had to guess which ones are from coldplay. I already told him that without the voice to recognize I would not be able to, but he insisted I try. Then he got a bit angry when I said that I can’t notice much of a difference in especially those two songs. Since then I’ve listened more closely again and overall I agree with the different energy/feeling those two songs have.

To me it would’ve still been possible to be songs from the same band / different era or album. Then again it’s not really to my taste and if you’re not into it it’s harder to notice differences in my opinion.

Oh and the full playlist was:

Imagine Dragons - Ill Make It Up to You
Coldplay - White Shadows
Coldplay - Politics
Fun. - Carry On
Ed Sherran - Afterglow
Coldplay - True Love
Ed Sheeran - Perfect Symphony [with Andrea Bocelli]
Coldplay - Higher Power
Oasis - Stop Crying Your Heart Out

And I got exactly 0 guesses correct, but these are all artist I am not into. I think I picked number 1 (Imagine Dragons) and 9 (Oasis).

1 Like

Here my first impression on both songs.

In similarity I would say around 5 they’re not that similar. But theyre not that much different.

I’m bad on genres so I can’t really tell what genres they would be. Though I would probably think they’re not really the same genre.

Both songs feel quite a bit like pop. If you’d put up some lyrics I could imagine both as pop songs.

The first one has some like 80ties vibes in my opinion the second one feels younger.

The first one I would guess could be considered some electronic genre. It somewhat reminds me of Waterflame (YouTube musician)

The second one sounds less like an electronic genre.

The style seems quite similar. So I would guess both songs are by the same artist.

1 Like

First song has the typical 80s gated reverb drums. That would have probably been the part where I’d say: I guess that is not very Coldplay. But I don’t know very much about both bands, only that both aren’t from the 80s, so the drums would have gotten me confused quite a bit.

Just listened to some Imagine Dragons, and to me, it seems those 80s drums are a thing they do.

1 Like

The drummer basically doesn’t seem to know or purposefully ignores what a hi-hat is.
In some songs there is some mild use of it, but still… the drums in Imagine Dragons mainly consist of bassdrum and snare.

That is by now the only thing that seems to be in all Imagine Dragons songs. Loud and powerful drums and you are right that those aren’t very Coldplay like.

Yeah those drums aren’t gated, they are just pushed way up into the limiter for loudness and are overcompressed as a result.

It’s a common thing a lot of bands do. I hate that. It’s cheez.

1 Like

This could be the same band I mean it could even be one dude in front of his Mac Book Pro really

…syth-wave, synth-pop…

1 Like