Glossy vs satin finish on the neck?

I guess this is a two-fold question: a) what do you all prefer as finishes on your bass necks? Glossy or satin? And perhaps why?

Personally, I am becoming rather partial to satin necks, but most basses I guess have glossy necks…

And b) how do I best turn a glossy finish into a satin finish?

OK, perhaps one more question: c) will such a procedure be “irreversible”, vis-a-vis changing the overall appearance and (further down the line) re-saleability of the instrument?

Thanks!

1 Like

I prefer a satin finish, I find it’s less sticky. but it becomes glossy with years of wear so …

b) you can do it with fine (000) steel wool. I’ve done this a ton of times, including on Greenie and Juliette (my yellow Telecaster) to bring back the satin feel when it becomes glossy

and

c) no it’s not irreversible, you just have to polish the finish with a cloth and polish compound (paste), and it will become glossy

6 Likes

Ditto!!

No issue with fine metallic dust finding the magnets at the pickups?

And: do you apply that treatment to the entire neck? From body to headstock?

2 Likes

sometimes I had steel dust stuck on pickups magnets, then well you have to remove it :grin: otherwise there is a little trick : before you use the steel wool, you stick some masking tape over the magnets, then if some metal stick to the magnet you will remove it all by removing the tape. works pretty well.

I apply the treatment where my hand goes on the neck so I don’t do the headstock, just the “playing zone” of the neck.

6 Likes

Satin all the way for me. Serious dislike of glossy necks. I think they even look worse :slight_smile:

I have heard that the nylon kitchen scrubby pads like 3M makes work great for scrubbing the gloss off the neck, without the magnet issue with steel wool. I am guessing super-high grit sandpaper or polishing film would work fine as well.

5 Likes

Yes, I do understand… now, that I have a bass with a satin neck…

So, did your Yamahas and Warwicks come with satin necks, or did you apply the de-glossing procedure to them?? I guess I am trying to gauge how likely people are to actually put some sandpaper to their new basses!?! (I know @terb wouldn’t hesitate) :grin:

3 Likes

:v::grin:

3 Likes

… I have a 1984 Stratocaster (old enough to cost more than my car :joy: ) and I sanded the neck to remove the finish and have the bare wood feel, which I love … now that I’d like to sell this guitar, I realize that this operation has not been the best idea I’ve ever had :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

:open_mouth:

2 Likes

5 euro can of glosskote will fix that for you :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Both of my Yamahas and both of my Warwicks had satin necks, thank goodness. Otherwise I would have gone to the sandpaper. (I have some 2000-grit lying around that would probably work well.)

There’s videos on doing this by the way.

3 Likes

yeah @howard I have a lot of things to fix on this guitar, I have to take some time to do it and hopefully sell it for a good price. or maybe find an exchange for a CBS Precision, 'would be funny.

2 Likes

Yes, I guess I should have gone to the interweb right away - there is indeed a lot of “advice” and how-tos… just thought I’d ask the forum first :smile:

I’ll probably go the 3M way first, on the “cheap” bass :grin:

Thanks!

2 Likes

I also prefer satin necks. I just think they’re easier tho play. I have used 1200 grit sand paper in the past to convert. I’ve sold at least one bass that I did that to without having to discount below what I would have sold it for otherwise. I just made sure I was upfront about what I had done.

3 Likes

Satin, baby, …satin. :+1:

3 Likes

Seeing all of these replies favoring satin necks it makes you wonder why so many basses come with gloss necks. I know for myself, the comfort and playability of the neck is the first thing I look for in a potential bass purchase.

4 Likes

It’s how Fender originally went so everyone copied it?

4 Likes

Yeah, @joeike - that was going to be my next question… Maybe it is as @howard suggests… another trend set by Fender…

3 Likes

My Supro is like that from the factory.
There’s a definite line, where it looks like it’s been masked off and then abrasive applied

6 Likes

Silky satin for me.
The Squire neck just feels so natural under my fingers

3 Likes