Glossy vs satin finish on the neck?

That’s as good an explanation as any.

3 Likes

In line with others on the thread, satin is preferred. I think this is typical as most high-end guitars have satin for good reason. For beginners though, don’t worry if your neck isn’t satin (or if you don’t even know what it has). This is just a nice to have.

5 Likes

+1 to that : it’s cool but it’s a detail, not the heart of the instrument

3 Likes

So, I de-glossed my P-bass neck - worked perfectly fine with one of those green Scotch pads! Feels good!

Now, do I dare treat my Yamaha in the same way?? :grimacing:

5 Likes

yes. it’s your main instrument, you prefer that satin feel under your hand … it’s a no brainer.

3 Likes

Thanks for the little push there :smile:

3 Likes

I’m sure you didn’t expected less from me :joy:

3 Likes

do it do it DO IT :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You missed a chance to drop this gem…

2 Likes

:arrow_up:This!!! :arrow_up:

3 Likes

I strongly prefer satin. I hit my Squier with some fine steel wool when the neck gets too glossy for my taste. Masking tape over the pickup and input jack. It doesn’t take much, just enough to rough it a little bit. I don’t take it down to the bare wood or anything like that. It’s easy enough to buff out with playing time or a cloth and some polish.

Glossy necks feel sticky to me, and I can’t stand it. I didn’t think it would make that much difference before playing a different bass with a satin neck.

6 Likes

I notice there’s been a lot of discussion on this topic on the MBD thread lately, so I thought I’d bring it back here . . . :slight_smile:

Both my basses have glossy necks and I never had any problem with them.

Do people feel that “glossy” = “sticky”, then? . . . :thinking:

Cheers, Joe

5 Likes

Good point, @Jazzbass19 - I just replied to @T_dub on the other thread though :blush:

Once you have tried a satin neck, I doubt you want to go back to glossy :grin:

4 Likes

Not so much sticky, just not right IMO

1 Like

I never really thought about this, until I saw this thread. I checked my basses and they both have satin (not shiny) necks, as does my 6 string. I can’t say that it would matter much to me if the neck on one of my basses was glossy, or even both of them, as long as they sound good.

3 Likes

It’s not about how it looks, it’s about how it feels.

6 Likes

Okay, I didn’t realize there was a difference.

4 Likes

Definitely is. Satin necks feel smoother and easier to slide your hand along. Glossy ones are a little more catchy on your hand. It’s not a dealbreaking difference but it definitely is enough to prefer one over the other, depending on what one likes.

5 Likes

I guess I’ve never played on a Glossy one

2 Likes

Agree, although one I’ll swear upside down a satin, or unfinished neck is better, it is really a preference thing.

However, they do feel different, unless wearing a glove, but there are many things that make a neck “feel” different, so no matter what you can say acout the feel of glossy over satin, it would be very very difficult to tell g difference between the two, less it were side by side the same b, one satin, the other glossy. And I mean the same bass, not two Basses side by side.

So if you were Scott Divine, with Basses coming in by the dozen, and grabbed two P Basses from a new order, left one glossy, and did histrick with sand paper and steel wool like in the video, then played the two, you would have a basis for a true comparison.

That said, I like satin, and even if it’s only in my head, I would turn a glossy neck satin.

Does it help me play bette?

Ask yourself this. Do you play better when you are comfortable, or uncomfortable.

I love hearing what people have to say about this.
I would probably be entertained if there was friendly debate about the subject, but I really beleive there is no argument, what is right for you, is right for you, there is no wrong answer

2 Likes