Going Deeper at the end of the course

Technically I suppose I’ve finished the course although I haven’t taken the quiz yet because I wanted to explore all the ‘going deeper’ videos in module 16. Can I ask how many people stuck with these and worked their way all through them? I’m finding that some of the slap and tapping lessons are quite a leap in skill level and I’m floundering on some of them. I guess it doesn’t help that they are all Josh’s older YouTube videos and there is less hand-holding than on the course videos with the slow, medium, and fast work-outs. I can see a lot of value in these lessons but I hope Josh re-addresses these lessons in his second course with more of the aforementioned hand-holding. At the moment I’m feeling a little discouraged and can’t decide whether to stick with them or move on in another direction

3 Likes

Don’t be discouraged, @chris6 . . . :slight_smile: . . . If you’re not interested in slapping and tapping, it doesn’t mean you HAVE to do those exercises (although it may help you to be a more well-rounded bass player in the long run).

You can move ahead in other areas and come back later to the ones you missed, or didn’t do so well in on your first try. We’re all in different phases of our musical journeys. :wink:

Cheers
Joe

1 Like

Hi Joe,

No i’m not going to get discouraged at all. I totally want to nail slap and particularly tapping because playing in the upper register with bass chords, harmonics and tapping is where the facination lies for me but it was just like being hit by a bus going form the basic intro to slap in the course to Slap Bass Patterns: Thumb Hammer Pluck with three variations in the going deeper sections. I was like “wow, have I missed about twelve lessons on slap that should have come before this one”. I guess it’s showing up my weaknesses. Because I’ve played guitar for years so I breezed through a lot of the lessons but slap is all new to me. Anyway I thought I’d give myself a confidence boost and went back to Billie Jean Fast workout and totally nailed it :rofl:

5 Likes

I guess what I need to do is take a fuller dedicated course on slap like Mark Smiths course on Talking Bass and then come back to Josh’s videos when they will hopefully be as easy as Billie Jean :smile:

4 Likes

I purchased Mark’s slapping course during one of his sales, but haven’t gotten into it. I have zero interest in slapping.
I’m sure it’s as good as his other courses though.

2 Likes

I went through most of the TB slap course (with the all access pass), it’s great, 5 :star:s. Gave me a solid foundation for the technique, now just have to work on speed on my own.

2 Likes

I skipped all slapping lessons because I didn’t want to waste time, there is so much I want to learn on the bass before I even begin thinking about slapping.

3 Likes

talkingbass chord tones and scales courses are a great deep dive into fundamentals after b2b. it’s a whole different feel, like starting music college. and even if your not a jazz guy, the walking bass course after the other two really puts it all together and gets you started creating melodic and interesting bass lines.

3 Likes

@itsratso I couldn’t agree more. Those three courses you mentioned, and then toss in the Sight Reading course, and it’s like leaving high school and going to bass player university.

1 Like

I too dodged the slapping bullet but recently there’s been a real niggle way back in my head saying “go on , do it “ :scream:

2 Likes

Before lockdown, I was taking some face to face (real world) lessons. I think it’s good to mix those in at some point if you want to. You can only do so much digitally, especially when it’s just one way. Don’t get me wrong, online courses are great, but sometimes if you just sit with a teacher, they’ll pick-up on stuff straight away and you don’t get that feedback really in an online course. Things like slap are probably better taught in person, because they can physically grab your hands and show you how to position them. So, I like to do something like 80% online and 20% face to face. I think it just gives that little bit extra. Just for consideration. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Really looking forward to the talking bass courses… It just amazing the content you can get online… Im not so comfortable face to face so having these resources online is super cool.

2 Likes

Also, if you are a paid member (IE: have purchased courses), Mark has a live feed every Saturday at which you can ask questions and he will answer them. Paying members are also invited to the TalkingBass study group on Facebook.

1 Like

Cool that sounds good.

2 Likes