Gretsch Junior Jet Controls Upgrade

There is nothing wrong with this idea :slight_smile:

6 Likes

+1 !

5 Likes

+1 :grin:

3 Likes

The TV Jones Thunder Blade is a dual coil (humbucker) pickup like the original pickups so I wouldn’t change anything.

I considered doing this, but decided against the expense, not because the Gretsch is a cheap bass, but because the stock pickups sound pretty good.

I have DiMarzio pickups on my Squier Affinity Series PJ. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Hello again.
My friend is helping me do the same to my Gretsch Jr Jet 2220 as you did to yours.
I’m curious about what your guys thoughts are about combining LIN with LOG pots, and which to go where, and why?
Should I go with all LIN pots? all LOG pots?
LIN volume LOG tone(x2) or vice-versa? any thoughts and ideas are welcome :smiley:

Here is a thread you may find interesting, @Sebasstian . . . :slight_smile:

HTH and all best, Joe

2 Likes

@Korrigan any ideas? I hear you’re the man to talk to about this sort of thing on this forum.
:smiley:

I used audio (log) taper for all controls. Audio seems to be the consensus for volume controls, and my volume controls smoothly increase from minimum to max.

Opinions online are all over the place as to what should be used for the tone control, but my audio taper pot seems to work fine.

2 Likes

Pot taper is a matter of preference, there’s not really a right or wrong. My preference is log (audio) pots for both volume and tone… usually… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Great idea and nice post. I would like to do the same but I am confused about the black wires that go to the pickups. I don’t see two wires on the pickups. How do wire the black leads to the pickups to the volume pots? Typically, the black lead would solder to the pot case ground, and the white wire would solder to the middle pin on the middle pin of the pot (but I see no white wire)? Is the black pickup wire like coax?
Thanks for help.

@Fuey: You hit it exactly right. The black wire seen coming from each pickup is actually a shielded cable. The white center lead of the cable attaches to the center terminal on the respective pot, while the shielding is connected to ground, most likely at the pot case.

I was able to unsolder the leads and resolder them to the new pots without having to do any cutting or stripping of the pickup wires.

2 Likes

Great post. Appreciate the pics and the links. I’m planning to do this exact mod since my old bass is set up this way and I just prefer the versatility, and your post is the most helpful one I’ve come across so far.

I noticed in the pics that you replaced the stock bridge. What bridge did you choose, and have you noticed any benefits in sound, or is it mostly just aesthetic?

Any other mods?

2 Likes

Welcome to BassBuzz!

The bridge is a brass high mass bridge from Performance Sound.

Precision-Machined Brass High Mass Bass Bridge

A nice feature of the Junior Jet is that it uses a standard 5 screw Fender bridge, so there are lots of options available.

The Performance bridge looks good and seems to help sustain, which isn’t the greatest on the JJ (or any short scale for that matter).

I also added a Hipshot Xtender drop D tuner and fitted it with La Bella Deep Talkin’ Bass flatwound strings.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the Hipshot KickAss bridge, and yours looks pretty similar for half the price. I know people argue about the actual performance improvements of a high mass bridge, but it’s definitely an aesthetic improvement, and if it adds some sustain all the better.

The Xtenders are pretty cool. I don’t really need one these days, but I used to be in a band in the late 90’s/early 2000’s where we would play drop D songs, and that would have been awesome. If they were around then I sure didn’t know about them.

I’m also planning on adding flatwounds, so seems like we’re on the same page with this bass. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this run-through! I just made this mod also, and I have to say I really dislike the logarithmic pots for the volume controls. It’s like “nothing, nothing, nothing, BLAM!!!” It hits a point about 80% through the rotation that ramps up the mix enormously, and I find myself fiddling with about 1 degree of rotation to get most of my mix adjustment.

I have found a number of recommendations for volume=linear pots and tone=audio pots. I’m going to get some linear pots for the volume on my G2220 and will report back.

3 Likes

I’m getting my G2220 on Tuesday

3 Likes

Hey all…played my JJ last night and noticed that the selector switch sometimes seems to go dead in the bridge position. It can usually be remedied by toggling it back and forth a few times. Anyone else have this issue? DO I need to be concerned that this will result in a future failure? If so, what can I do to remedy?

1 Like

You could try some electronics/contact clean into the switch.

1 Like

Or check the solder connections underneath.
Should be one or the other.

1 Like

Can you send me a schematic of how you wired the controls with the individual volume knobs, treble knov and jack ?
Thanks
Rich Vineyard

2 Likes