GT-1B multi-effects board

I agree to agree and disagree.

It is a terrible way to describe a bass with an active EQ, because as you said, it is not the same as an instrument with active pickups, which would have a significant line signal boost.
Actually when I first started and got my first Ibanez GSR 200, and it had a battery, and I thought, OK, this is an ACTIVE Bass, thinking to myself, “it must have active pickups”. Then later when I was learning more about the Bass components, all the neck sizes, what a P and J pick up was, what active EQ is, I was pretty confused when I saw the GSR 200 states Passive P and Passive J pickups.
I then asked the question, what is active about it, and thru the help of others here and on YT, I realized they were talking about the EQ being powered by a 9v battery, not the pick up itself.

So, I agree it is a very poor way to describe the bass, however, it tends to be how the general population of aspiring musicians describe the difference between active and passive.

I do agree with everything you said, but since everybody calls their 9v battery powered EQ bass ACTIVE, I was just wanting to state that technically, the Ibanez SR 370 is in fact Active in the sense that the Schecter they were talking about is also ACTIVE. Both basses are actually Activer EQ and not Active pick ups, but IDK how else to describe it to somebody without being very long winded and specific.
It is easier to just follow the norm and say, that Ibanez is active just like the Schecter. Unless in fact they are looking at a Schecter with an Active Pick Up.

And I have had a guitar with active pick ups, and it is very noticeable. however, when the battery is dead, you can still flip to passive and play (like you can in some basses, the Yamaha’a specifically I think have this feature).

I know for a fact it was active pick ups, and not just an active EQ, because this guitar, a Carvin, was made for me, to order, per my selected specifications.

2 Likes

yeah the active guitars was new to me, I had no idea. Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like EMG makes some killer guitar pups.

3 Likes

just imagine SUSTAIN for days. Just holding a note, or just placing your index finger on say the 7th fret of the high E string (guitar) and using your pinky to lightly hammer on the 10th fret, and doing it all day without straining your fingers too bad.

2 Likes

Just remember that it is a basic entry level unit. Not everything will be perfect but like the Zoom B3n it will do the job nicely.

I personally think that a lot of people are just blaming the product or expecting that the product is on par with a $ 1000+ unit. I really can’t imagine Boss releasing a specific bass unit that can’t handle active. And if it’s really that shit you can just return it?

3 Likes

I ended up going with the Zoom B3n in the end. I found a few videos that swayed my opinion from where it was. Not to say it wasn’t close, in fact I like the form factor of the Boss GT1-B a little better. But over the long term I’m sure there will be more gear, don’t tell my wife :shushing_face:

As for the pickup dissuasion with @T_dub & @howard … The Schecter SLS Elite 4 string I want has the new Fishman Fluence pickups. They are not traditional pickups where copper wire is wound into coils. It’s more like a circuit board sandwich that can be programed to emulate the magnetic signature of traditional pickups to reproduce other specific pickups.

This video with Mike Inez from Alice in Chains explains the tech halfway decent. And he tells how they used it to replicate “his sound” that he was never able to find on another bass. It’s pretty interesting…

Aside from the Schecter, Court is currently the only other company I know of putting them in from the factory. But you can but them on Amazon and Sweetwater and I’m sure other places. You get the pickups & pre-amp with all the controls including the push pull volume pot and 3 way voicing switch just like the Schecter. They are a little more than I paid for my bass and I’m having a hard time resisting not tackling this a an upgrade…

https://www.amazon.com/Fishman-PRF-BS4-SB2-Fluence-Pickups-4-String/dp/B07NDNSPJ1?

L8r
Chris

7 Likes

court makes some very nice instruments, along with a whole bunch of other brands of instruments, they are very well crafted instrument, many for way less money they you would think.
There are some human rights issues with Court. I don’t know all the details, but I know it was management or ownership treating all employees like dirt., and when a modernized 3rd world country (am I saying that right?) is treating people worse than normal mistreatment, to get national and international attention like that, it must be pretty bad. And it is just stuff from Wikipedia and other links from google to articles about it.
For all I know, all the places in Indo, Korea, China, etc… could be running the same program, but I have not heard or read about it, so my limited knowledge stops with Cort.

You really can’t boycot Cort unless you boycot every brand that comes out of that factory, and you just can’t expect people to do that, there are alot of die hard fans to many of those brands. I obviously dont’ think poorly of anybody with a brand of guitar that was built in the Cort factory, and don’t even hold it against people with Cort basses, like I said, they are very nice, must play and feel nice, and the price is not bad, and they are lookers.

However, because I am turned off by their company, I choose not to support their own brand. I know, me, the one person, what difference does that matter in the whole scheme of things? No, not at all, cuz I was not getting one anyway, but the more people that are conscious about this, possibly they will be aware and decide not to get that Cort and get something else.

Yeah, I don’t make a difference to them, but I make a difference to me when I choose not to support them at their BRAND level.

1 Like

WOW… I had no clue about the Cort situation, very enlightening!

I could see that happening too. I really am not up on what company REALLY owns what guitar/bass manufacturer, or what companies contract with the same factories to build their various brands at the same location, but I know it happens a lot. In that part of the world is seems like it could go either way human rights wise, but I’m really not well informed on it either, so I could only speculate.

L8r
Chris

1 Like

So remember that Cort does not equal Indonesia in general. There are several major guitar factories in Indonesia. Cort’s is in Surabaya. Yamaha’s is in Jakarta.

Here’s an interesting post:

I verified the Yamaha factory address from Yamaha’s page.

So, tl;dr, Indonesian guitars are generally very high quality, all the major brands produce there (including Fender), and you don’t necessarily need to worry about it being Cort, depending on brand.

If you have a Squier it was probably made there too.

Notably, Yamaha, Supro, ESP, Jackson and Dean are only made in the Wildwood (non-Cort) factory. Fender is made in all three, and Music Man only in the Cort factory.

4 Likes

I don’t want to make a long answer, so others can steer the thread back on topic, but I just want to offer something else that I read.

Absolutely not, and Indonesia is a bucket list place for me.

From what I read on Wikipedia, the controversy of Cort was limited to factories within Korea. It mentioned nothing about Indonesia or Chinese factories.

But for now, I am going to run with Indonesia built SBMM being OK. :wink:

3 Likes

It’s weird that they were mistreating their domestic employees so badly - COR-TEK is based in Korea. And Korea is highly developed, a modern country, especially parts like Incheon where their factory was.

2 Likes