Guitar Center Reopening

Arizona Governor Doug Ducey just announced that retail can reopen on May 8th. My entire body is quivering with excitement at the thought of my local Guitar Center opening their doors for business. They’d better be ready for a herd of musicians with major GAS.

8 Likes

That’s great news!

4 Likes

Finally some light at the end of the tunnel . . . :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Can’t wait! I they should be opening soon in Texas!

3 Likes

The one near me has reopened with hours from 12 to 7 with requirements that customers maintain six foot distancing and you have to wear a mask to come inside.

3 Likes

If Mine in So Cal doesn’t open soon, I may be seeing you in yours. Road trip. :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

3 Likes

You crazy kids be safe fighting the crowds to get in. I’m going to hold off going for a while. I’ve got an extra pack of strings and all the picks I’ll ever need.

6 Likes

No fighting here, But I look forward to going.
I have been out a lot, in my area nobody is staying in much. I personally don’t fear the Virus, that said, I do not belittle anybody who does. To each their own, fully respected.
Like my folks have not been out of the house for 6 weeks, and at their age, to catch it may be certain death. I don’t visit, because I go out a lot, and in case I was exposed, I don’t want to infect them.
I found out that my mother’s cousin, similar age, actually did get Corona, verified by several tests.
She quarantined in her house, with medical help coming to her, and got thru it after 3 weeks.
Apparently, she was not as susceptible to the virus as others, and those that are get it bad, and possibly die, those that are not get it more mild, and get over it after a few weeks.
She has also been re tested to verify she no longer has it.
I do not know if that now makes her immune or not???
Anyway, I will be at my local GC soon after they re open to NOT BUY ANYTHING, just to touch and try lots of new things.

2 Likes

im lucky, here in Australia all the music stores remained open, essential service i guess

2 Likes

They opened non-essentials this month in Germany. I thought it a bit weird that the shop clerks didn’t care at all about those rules which also apply to them.

2 Likes

Tokyo is extending ours, thank goodness. Though unfortunately it’s still a soft lockdown and it is being somewhat ignored.

Of course as a result of this the hospitals are also full and there’s apparently a two-hour average wait in ambulances as they search for somewhere to take you. And this is for a place with some of the best medical services in the world.

Just saw an article about a guy in Sendai who got it, eventually needed medical attention, called 119 (emergency services), an ambulance came right away, started calling around, and he finally got to the hospital 4h16m later.

3 Likes

I got an email yesterday from Guitar Center that they’re having a used gear buying event at all the stores this Saturday from 9am-12pm.

5 Likes

Yeah, I got that too. I can just picture the long lines of people waiting outside in the Phoenix summer heat with used gear in hand, waiting for their turn to go into the store.

5 Likes

With their hot sweaty masks. YAY!!!

2 Likes

Guitar Center looks like it is about to take the permanent dirtnap.

5 Likes

I got a letter telling me they’re filing Chapter 11, which means they can continue to operate under the guidance of the Bankruptcy Trustee.
It could be the beginning of he end for GC, we’ll just see how it goes. I won’t lose any sleep if they go under; their customer service is horrible and has become worse during the pandemic.

6 Likes

Bankruptcy Sale$!!!

6 Likes

Thats all I care about, but I bet their inventory will just go to MusiciansFriend.com, which is peobably not part of the bancruptcy, it is how they plan to live in the future most likely. This has been a long time coming.
The employees at the local stores are all dicks, it is a pain in the ass to get into one to shop, and when you do get into one, and want to browse and test and try things, they rush you so others can get in.
Ontop of that they have crap for inventory for basses, and they refuse to get a bass to the store for you to try, you actually have to purchase it, get it and try it and bring it back instead of them just having some inventory for you to try out.
it is basically worse then online shopping, and if you call the online vendors, Musicians Friend included, you can get some decent info, and un advertised deals as well.

I would love for GC to dry up and be gone, and have other small mom and pop brick and mortars arise, but that is more then doubtful, as ONLINE shopping it will be.
I just hate the fact I can’t try out basses I want to try unless I buy it, or find one used and go try it to see if I want to buy it, but even if I go try a used one somethwere and don’t buy it, say, I want a different color, so I was able to try it, now I have to go order the color, but it is not the bass I tried that I am getting, so no matter what, unless you want some of the most widely stocked Squire, Sterling, epiphone, G&L and some Music man basses, and they just happen to have the right one with the right color, will you ever get a chance to play the bass you are going to buy to take home, unless you flat out buy it, and even then.

I have my Sterling Stingray 4HH because I had to order it, and even then, the return time was not long enough for me to know if it wold grow on me or not, so I never took it back and now have to sell it for a loss. not a big one, but if I played it and heard it in the store before I bought it, I would not have bought it, instead, I kept it trying to grow into liking it, but did not.

Remember the days where they would do anything for you to make the customer happy. I worked at target in High School, and I remember managers driving to stores 30-50 miles away to pick up items that customers wanted to buy at that store, and having them there for them same day, or next day tops.
Now they just tell you to order it online.

Oh well, enough rant, I just don’t care weather they survive or not, the only reason I would go to one is if they have the specific thing I want, in the local store so I don’t have to ship and wait 5 days, otherwise, I would just assume buy from Amazon or the local pawn / music shops.

4 Likes

I hear what you’re saying Toby. I’ll only go to GC (since it’s very close to me) for something like a cable or set of strings or stuff like that. I’ve taken my setup and repair business to a not so local Jersey place about an hour and a half drive for me, but they do great work (they tell me that Bruce Sprinsteen’s minions go there for stuff “The Boss” wants). They are a Stingray/Music Man authorized dealer and that’s why I purchased my latest from them.

2 Likes

Mine has been open for a long while… visit New England! Just kidding. I haven’t been in any building besides my house since March 2020 (not joking, literally nowhere).

1 Like