Guitar EQ vs Pedal EQ vs Amp EQ

another option would be to get a TC Electronic BAM200. this thing is ridiculously small, it seems to sound very transparent and it’s very affordable. such a small head could take its place into my possible-future-rack. but then I would need a cab.

1 Like

You should check out the new Darkglass cabinets. They might be what you are after.

1 Like

Darkglass + Dingwall is a pretty good general description of what I am after, along many axes :slight_smile:

Before I decided to just go ampless I bought a BH250 as I was thinking exactly along the same lines. Unfortunately (fortunately?) it arrived defective. It was the wrong decision for me.

Ampless is definitely the right choice for me. But Tokyo is also kind of special - jamming and rehearsal space is cheap and all over the place, and usually comes with its own amps and cabs. Meanwhile, even my Rumble 25 ended up being too loud for my place.

2 Likes

I’ve been playing a lot of normal gigs recently, and doing some normal studio sessions, and this is just about everything that I’ve done. I was hired by two churches for service music yesterday, and I didn’t even bring a cable.
Me and a P-bass.
Showed up, plugged in.
The only knob on the amp I turned was the volume, I believe.

But also, yes to what everyone here is saying. It’s all good to know, good to control, and good to play with.
And, once pedals get in the mix? It becomes a different and wild world.

5 Likes

What bass(es)?

2 Likes

Fender Jazz or Fender Precision. Depends on what is available.

Hmm, interesting. Could be a number of things, but user error is probably up there. :stuck_out_tongue:

But try rolling the “Low Mid” knob down, it’s voiced pretty low on those amps so that might be right in the “boomy” range. You could also try the “Bright” switch.

2 Likes

Thanks Josh. I’ll give it a try. I guess I’m going to have to just play with it.

2 Likes

Good idea, I forgot the Rumble 40 and up had 4-band EQs. My Rumble 25 only had a 3-band.

So low mids down a bit, high mids up a bit might help with making it more punchy and “clear”.

Bear in mind it could also be somewhat dependent on the space you are trying it out in.

3 Likes