Happy Halloween

Happy Halloween everyone! Thought I’d share since none of you could come by in person.

15 Likes

People around here don’t seem to be interested in Halloween. I’m living in a lutheran state of Germany, so people around here celebrate the founding of their church on this day.

In the last 5 years only one girl dared to ring the bell and ask for candy. I personally don’t mind, and I have candy around just in case. But others seem to get annoyed by that foreign custom, I think.

And this year I’m even less inclined to celebrate, since that dreadful Iteawon incident happened :cry:

1 Like

Well, my husband bought four bags of candy, adding up to 71 pieces of various types. But it was an intermittently rainy night, so we only had 22 trick or treaters stop by. I do not need all that leftover candy laying around! Hope my sons & hubby will do their part to eat it up.

Yeah, I wish I had given two pieces each to the kids, but we’re never sure how big a crowd we’ll get. We’ve had over 100 kids show up in years past, and the neighborhood is repopulating with more kids, so we didn’t want to be caught short.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think it gets very far. When I lived in Brazil I noticed they didn’t celebrate it at all. That’s fun that you keep candy around just in case :slightly_smiling_face:

We make it a pretty big deal, my family anyway.

1 Like

That’s a bummer that it was rainy. We had beautiful weather. We had over 100 people show up, the most we’ve had since we moved here four years ago. We bought 6 dozen donuts plus a box of 30 candy bars and ran out at about 8:30. But we give treats to whoever comes to the house, including parents. I think it should be fun for everyone. There are other people in our small, town who do cotton candy machines, nachos and hot chocolate.

2 Likes

Donuts? Well I guess I know where I’m going next year.

2 Likes

Halloween here is basically Young Adults Gone Wild party night. Which makes it really, really fun to people-watch.

1 Like

In Australia Halloween isn’t really a ‘thing’ but it does seem to gain popularity each year. In my area at least, what tends to happen is if a house is participating they put up decorations so the kids will only knock on those doors. So it’s like an opt-in arrangement. There are some houses that are fully decked out, which kids love visiting.

1 Like

We use the porch light as a signal. When you run out of treats or just don’t want to participate you turn off the porch light.

1 Like

In my neighborhood we haven’t gotten any Halloweeners in like 8 years. I guess all the kids grew up!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like