Hard Case vs. Gig Bag?

I have a hatchback, so I guess I’m screwed! :joy:

1 Like

Nah, I schlepped my bass and Bassman amp to and fro in my hatchback.

If you’re feeling paranoid IFB (Identified Flying Basses), strap your axe in with your backseat seatbelts. Done and done.

1 Like

I worked security for Delta Airlines at a major international airport and trust me when I say if it’s going to be stowed it needs to be armour plated

4 Likes

There are some storage bins where it would as they connect internally but those are going away and shrinking very quickly as airlines realize they can charge for every checked bag now.

2 Likes

Wow, never seen any of those internally connected bins.

The only one big enough for a bass I’ve seen (but not used) is the tall, skinny, closet-like one next to the main cabin door. And that one only works if they haven’t filled it with somebody else’s big ass dreadnought acoustic, or something.

1 Like

You could try and buy a seat for it :rofl:

Only half joking. If we ever have to fly with our dog, she is going as a carry-on in her crate, even if I have to buy a seat for her. Airlines kill too many animals (especially looking at you, United).

3 Likes

It’s considered oversized because of the length, and most likely they would make you check it.

2 Likes

I agree. And with all the belligerent assholes flying these days, it’s not worth the potential hassle of dealing with it.

@JerryP is our resident globe-trotter deluxe, and he’s got the system beat: he has basses stashed all over the world! :rofl: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

6 Likes

Not quite, Mike. I just have one in Hawaii and the Squire I have with me now I shipped from NJ because I would be in San Diego for over three months. Shorter trips I take The Traveler Bass with me.

4 Likes

Cheap cases offer more protection than cheap bags. Expensive cases are much much nicer than expensive cases in general it protects about the same except for air traveling.

I’d prefer gigbag or soft case they are really great and fits my needs. I was a hard shell case diehard fan til I get the mono bag and the premium and the leather premium Warwick they are definitely superb.

3 Likes

Yep :slight_smile:

5 Likes

:dizzy_face:

2 Likes

Next question. What about hybrid gig bags, like the Gator Cases ICON?

2 Likes

Icon looks nice.

2 Likes

Nearly the same disadvantages as hard cases but slightly smaller. If it doesn’t fold or smoosh somehow it’s not a keeper for me.

2 Likes

I’d get this roadrunner case. Guitar center put them on their daily sales every now and the. For about $70. Great case. Again not for air travel but everything else it’s awesome. It’s my go to case.

3 Likes

Those are nice, my friend has one for guitar. Not a lot of extra storage though.

2 Likes

I picked up two of these for $50 each a couple years ago from GC and they’re my go to as well. Price has gone up since then, but check the daily pick they go on sale now and again - also watch Musician’s Friend deal of the day

3 Likes

Yeah I picked up 4 when they were $50 it’s such a value added accessory when I sell the basses.

There’s quite a few pockets and sleeves but they’re all for flat stuffs like tablets and cables not really for extra pedals.

4 Likes

Vague I know but how much to spend for a sensible minimum level of protection? Put differently at what point does diminishing returns kick in?

1 Like