Hardest and easiest Genres for Bass

:100: This^^^

2 Likes

I am with you on Country. Except Johnny Cash.

Punk and post-punk are always going to have a special place for me though.

But I’ll definitely take stuff like Nao there over any Country. Or a lot of Swing, R&B, Bebop, etc - can be awesome.

1 Like

Ever see the Ramones live? They played faster, and all on the downstroke. It’s not easy

This is CJ on bass

Hip hop and trance music usually have simple enough repeating bass lines.

Country is not exactly easy. Pop songs also depends. Big name artists usually want the music to be great but not too flashy that would outshine them.

Jazz is such a big genre to group into just one, lol. Contemporary vocal jazz the bass lines are simple enough. Instrumental jazz is definitely more challenging

Latin jazz and bebop jazz is probably have the hardest bass parts beside the artist focus album like Jaco or Gary Willis for example.

It’s hard because nowadays you have session hit man like Pino Paladino, Leland Skylar crossing genre so a we are getting quality music across the board.

2 Likes

Depends a whole lot on which band.

4 Likes

So, here is the D-word… the big equalizer, the defanger of absolutes :grin:

It always comes down to this… because it’s the truth :joy:

5 Likes

Very much so :joy:

And with that in mind, generally, found metal quite easy to play. (obviously there’s a lot of technical stuff too, I get lost even trying :smile: but for the most part) Often fairly repetitive, just fairly fast, so wasn’t really learning anything from that after a little while.

Not saying it’s the hardest thing to play, but well before starting B2B etc. it wasn’t until I started playing around with old motown & disco stuff I found a noticeable improvement in my playing.
Chic - Good times/Everybody Dance still, probably forever will in fact, kick my butt, bass lines are killer though! :smiley:

3 Likes

I simply like music…doesnt need a label

4 Likes

Ah, Big feels @howard. I did look around to see if there was a better place to post the question, did not catch those details in the thread as I skimmed over a bit. :heart:

1 Like

Oh no worries at all! You didn’t do anything wrong.

1 Like