Has anyone heard from Lanny?

I hate to sound like a mother hen, but our friend and regular contributor Lanny has been absent for quite some time. I sent him a private message a few days ago to see if he is okay, but have not gotten a response.

With all the crap going on in the world, I tend to worry more when I don’t hear from people.

11 Likes

@Lanny posted a song in the Post your originals thread 10 days ago. Before that he had said he was having a lot of problems getting online. He said we wouldn’t hear much from him until things get back to normal in the world and his service gets better.

12 Likes

Thank you @eric.kiser

3 Likes

@Lanny has resurfaced! (Pardon the pun @Lanny)

P.S. For those who don’t know, Lanny was a submariner in the navy, thus the pun…

4 Likes
3 Likes

Love the pun @PamPurrs… Pam!!

Since this is the “Lounge”, and we can post what we want here, I’m posting a link to one of our Diesel Submarine Museums. The USS Cavalla was an old WWII Diesel Electric submarine much like the two that I served aboard as an Engineman (diesel mechanic) between 1970-1977. Some of her parts are ones take from one of my old subs before the Navy used her as a training target.

This is one submarine that the museum folks were able to use to put together a full 360 degree online walk through tour on, and it is very well done. The only thing missing is the smell of diesel and sweat mixed in with the aromas of fresh baked bread from the galley. 70-80 men (including officers) crewed these submersible sewer pipes, and rank meant absolutely nothing - the only thing that mattered was being submarine qualified… We learned to live together without showers, mail, laundry, or anything else that couldn’t fit inside a 2’x2’ locker space. We learned to depend on each other no matter what. We knew the meaning of confinement and quarantine. We were diesel boat sailors…

Click the link, take the tour, and be sure to stop at each mark on the deck and do a full 360 degree look around. This,… brings me back home…

3 Likes

I would go nuts on one of those things, I gotta hand it to you.

I have a friend here in Phoenix who retired as a Senior Chief on a Nuclear sub, and he says they would submerge and not surface for months. That is crazy.

3 Likes

@Lanny,
I just got word today that our team is going back to work in 3 weeks. Out first project will be at a possible old stomping ground of yours: Naval Submarine Base New London.

4 Likes

Woot! Welcome back @Lanny!

3 Likes

Now, if we can just find @PeteP :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Good for you getting back to work Jerry!! And yes, every submariner does time in New London… 50 years ago for me…

4 Likes

Thanks Eric! Hopefully things are getting a little more normal up in your neck of the state…

3 Likes

Oh yeah. I even took my mom out to Cracker Barrel today.

3 Likes