Headphone amps for practice

No doubt. It sounds great with my 3.5” 25w studio monitors as well. My point was loud noise through speakers and headphones sounds different not to mention the benefits of sound pressure that hits yourself body.

1 Like

It’s interesting to compare my monitors with my former Rumble 25. I have two 82W monitors, split 41/41 woofer/tweeter, with 5"/1" speakers. This comes out at slightly less surface area for the speakers than the single 8" in the Rumble, but with a lot more power behind it, and separate tweeters. They sound much better (provided you use an amp and cab sim).

1 Like

What cab Sims do you use? I’ve tried a few but usually stick with one or 2 most of the time. It used to be great when we had less choices, ha ha.

Depends on the amp sim - for Kuassa Cerberus, Brainworks SVT-VR and 800RB, and the NeuralDSP Darkglass plugin, I use the integrated cabsims. For things without an integrated cabsim I use Ignite NadIR.

2 Likes

Thanks @John_E! Yes it’d be great if they brought out a bass-specific version of the Mustang Micro, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

1 Like

Doesn’t it support bass already?

The Captain & Danish Pete are your service:

I might actually get this for my guitars :thinking: What do you think, @bassbot fortune ?

1 Like

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @bassbot display help.

I refuse!

It works on bass but all the effects are designed for guitar really.

1 Like

Yes I have the Phil Jones big head 1st edition HA1.
Yup can’t beat sound quality. I also have the Blackstar fly 3 also very good quality. More options too. Lots of people here on B2B like the Zoom B1 four. Sure all quality for practice.

I’m using a Darkglass Vintage Ultra V2 as a headphone amp. Sounds good with the cab simulation that is built-in and has many configuration options for the simulation via software. It also has an aux in so I can play along with backing tracks or songs when I connect my phone (in fact I often use a small bluetooth receiver that is connected to my phone and to the aux in of the pedal). The only downside is, that I need an AC adaptor since the pedal does not support batteries. I might be able to use a power bank though to make the setup completely independent.

2 Likes

One of the best pedals you can buy. Good choice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not all effects Pete. Check out the bass wizards at darkglass

I actually think the Zoom does the opposite - makes my practicing easier. I went with a one-button solution: My practice amp and Zoom are set how I want them both plugged into a powerstrip - my bass is on the stand next to them already plugged in (I realize you couldn’t do that with an active bass). I hit the power switch on the strip, pick up the bass and I’m ready to practice with no adjustments, no plugs, no knobs. Zero to practice in 5 seconds. Then I step on both Zoom switches to engage the tuner - tune and step on either switch again to disengage tuner. No other tuner to have to clip on or plug into, etc - one more thing to get me practicing quickly with no obstacles. (TBH, I mostly just check the tune - I’ve been lucky with basses that really hold tune well - so I have to make adjustments maybe only 1 out of 10 sessions at most). Even with tune check I’m ready to practice in under a minute from walking into the room.

2 Likes

Ye sounds like you have it all set up ready to go… I use headphones which need a lead plus i put a phone in to play along to tracks but if i had it just to plug into i would be fine… I just felt like i was surrounded by cables and wires… The nux mighty air more suits me but doesnt sound as good as the zoom… There doesnt seem to be many wireless options last time I looked anyway.

Two things I’ve discovered:

1. What works best for a person is a very individual thing.
  2. How I say I do things isn’t the way I always do things.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I know this is an old topic, but rather than start a new one on the same topic, I’d like to add the Mooer Prime P1 into the mix. It’s pretty expensive compared to the other’s mentioned here, but seems to do the job reasonably well for both guitar and bass. Most control is via the mobile app.

It has a drum machine but not that many patterns to choose from, but it does sync up with the looper function. The looper function is 80secs of recording and has an auto-start feature. Stopping the looper on time isn’t as easy unless you pay even more and get the footswitch.

Quite a bit of variety for both guitar and bass. The bass firmware allows splitting between high and low frequencies (not that I know how to use that effectively yet :slight_smile: )

It has line out so you can run it into an amp (you can turn off the amp sim) or DAI. You can also record direct on your mobile. They mention you need an OTG cable, but I used a normal USB C to USB C with my old Pixel 3 and it worked ok. It basically becomes like an external microphone when recording video. From what I can tell, it allows the drum machine sound to pass through, but if you have music playing via another app, it doesn’t record it. The downside for me is it draws charge from your mobile and my battery is already struggling.

1 Like

Nothing tops the Waza-Air Bass headphones system.

It costs, but it delivers, in spades.

5 Likes

Pretty sure I would get the Mooer over the Nux. Nice review :ok_hand:

1 Like