Help choosing a second bass

Hi @joergkutter,
After I responded to you I grabbed the 2 basses I have out, one is set a bit higher than the other and I still got the same noise as you got but the lower set up definitely reduced the fret noise.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

It’s all good. It just might be a topic that could deserve it’s own thread in technique.

Weird that this isn’t something that’s listed in the specifications of online shops. I think it’s a fact about the bass that might change buying decisions.
So I don’t know. I also don’t know how much my bass weighs because I don’t even have the possibility of weighing. I don’t have a person scale. Just some for the kitchen and… cough just some for the kitchen.

6 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

@joergkutter - I just did the same thing on my perfectly set up, lowest action, smooth as a cadillac in butter Modulus and it does the same thing.

I tried a few things - playing with middle and ring finger (so my other fingers could mute behind the fret)
Playing lighter, adjusting timing, etc.

But.
When you play that way on a bass - open string to fretted, over and over, you make that sound. Acoustically.

I had no issues plugged in. And, if I wrack my brain looking for instances where I want to play with this style (open string, to same string, fretted or tapped, then off again) I can only think of tapped or more agressive pieces where the sound of the fret is part and parcel to the sound and vibe of the piece.

After you two (@joergkutter and @juli0r) have demonstrated this and I’ve duplicated it, I see it as a problem that is not a problem: a clacky sound that can be made, but would never be made in a context where it wouldn’t sound appropriate.

7 Likes

I said somewhere that it wasn’t a sound I heard through the amp. So I agree. It is probably a non-issue and was just irritating me because of the difference I noticed.

3 Likes

Fully. And I very much appreciate your precision and clarity in all the posts.
When I’m responding, I’m responding to the particulars of the post, but also trying to explain and detail it for anyone not directly involved that might be reading.

I know that this is a thing that a lot of people have dealt with/will deal with.
When we’re looking for new instruments, it can be easy to find weird things that we don’t like. (see my post about my Rumble 500 where I geeked out about a distorted note, returned the amp, then realized it didn’t matter at all: Resonance or Cracked Speaker? - #6 by Gio)

We should make a flow chart:

GIO’S FLOWCHART FOR WHEN YOU WANT TO GET SOMETHING BUT IT MAKES A WEIRD NOISE™:

Does it sound annoying: yes/no
If no, hooray. Maybe get it.

If yes, will you ever notice it when playing? yes/no
If no, fantastic. Maybe get it.

If yes, will you ever notice it when playing amplified in a recording/performance scenario? yes/no/ITDOESN’TMATTERICAN’TSTANDITATALLEVER
If no - it’s not a problem Maybe get it.
If yes - it’s a problem. Don’t get it.
If it doesn’t matter, you can’t stand it at all ever… don’t get it.

9 Likes

One compliment retour, please!
Thanks and same to you :wink:

That’s why I hang on any of your posts about technique and gear!

I also don’t think it’s “my thread” and am happy when someone else could resolve wondering about some issue or another. So I’m happy that @joergkutter joined in. Also because it’s nice to know that I’m not the only one who is annoyed/irritated by the sound.

5 Likes

Thanks again for taking your time and talking me through this. As I said I guess it was an internal blockage and I got to experience it. I’m glad I got my hands on a 3 band EQ active because I wouldn’t be as happy with a 2 Band but with this in my hand I understand. Fully! :smiley:

Loving the ESP :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yay! Awesome bass.

5 Likes

Really good to hear you’re enjoying that ESP @juli0r and getting your head around the 3 way EQ :+1:

4 Likes

ESP LTD FTW

3 Likes

I didn’t read all the replies but I wanted to post a question about a second bass choice for myself, sorry if this is hijacking your question, but I didn’t know where else to post it.
I’m about halfway through the B2B course and started it with a 35 year old Peavey Foundation bass I bought off of craigslist for the course, I was in love with that bass when I got it but have started to fall out of love with it lately as I’ve been learning things, including my musical tastes.
I’ve learned I seem to be more of a “classic rewind or Classic vinyl” kind of guy.
Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t seem to be able to get that sound out of the Peavey even though it’s an older bass, so, I’m looking into getting a P bass. I don’t have a lot of cash to dump into it, so I was considering getting the Fender Classic Vibe “70"s” P bass, I can pick one up for around $350 plus $50 shipping off eBay. Any thoughts or reviews would be appreciated. I realize the best way to choose a bass is to put it in my hands and allow it to pick me, but with Rona rearing her ugly head and me being an old dog I’m not real comfortable doing it that way, just sayin. Thanks in advance for the thoughts, advice and reviews. Doc.

3 Likes

I’ve just gone the P bass route and it’s fast becoming my go to daily. BUT it really is a personal choice thing and you may find that if they haven’t already your tastes may change as you develop as a bass player.
I still have the Ibanez I did a majority of the B2B course on and I won’t part with that but a good mate of mine said that once I picked a P bass up I’d never try anything else so I’m of course I had to try it lol

6 Likes

I did the course on an Ibanez, then got STEP UP Ibanez and some other basses. then I picked up an Iconic Bas like @Mac, but I got into he StingRay instead of there P bass, and I am finding myself playing nothing else except my 2nd go to which is a 24 fret ESP LTD B-4E that I also love.
Thing about Stingray and Jazz or P bass’s is you can start small with copies, or lower models from the maker, and then work your way up to an American built model someday.

3 Likes

The modern Squire basses get a lot of respect for their quality based on cost. I don’t think that will be a problem.

2 Likes

Whats the verdict? Did ya? What color?

2 Likes

I just started a thread about this exact issue!! I was trying to figure out if my bass is somehow set up wrong because the action is higher on the higher Frets than the lower Frets. I can play a C triad starting on the third fret of the A like a champ but get lots of clanking when I do the same thing on the eighth front of the Estring. I think I’ve realized that everyone just needs to fret a little bit differently depending on where they are on the neck?? @Gio do you think that’s accurate?

3 Likes

I do!
I also think that each bass is its own animal.
It’s really tricky to make any set up calls when you can’t hold the bass and move it and sight it down the neck, and have all 360 degrees of all 3 dimensions to play with.

Having said that - I love taking my bass to reputable folks for setups, because they can make the adjustments better than I can!

6 Likes