Help me make a less dumb Spotify vid plz :)

Would this be acceptable?

IMG_4702

4 Likes

Everyone here is so eloquent. I’ve never watched reaction videos, so I’m a little at sea on it-but i thought you did really well.

2 Likes

I forgot a really important one too, don’t be so hard on yourself :slight_smile:

You made a slight miss that actually wasn’t even really bad at all. Eh, who cares. It’s cool, and you approached it in a humble and admirable way to get feedback. That’s awesome.

6 Likes

the more i have been thinking about this, the more i would love to see a @JoshFossgreen take on an intro to pedals.

and maybe instead of a more generic “this is what compression does, etc…” something more like using a couple of specific songs and how they got to that sound using pedals. i know this has been covered on other YT channels but id love a more bassbuzz take on it.

6 Likes

Yeah, he did a good one on DAW effects for Hysteria.

3 Likes

we have a Women on bass thread for you to pull from as well…

4 Likes

An example, adding bass to a song? This is a way to do it

Blu Detiger is a recording artist and a Fender musician

5 Likes

I liked it!

I wouldn’t beat yourself up too bad @JoshFossgreen, maybe not your best ever but was still fine IMO, at least you……

• you weren’t in pajamas with your cat
  • didn’t ramble on incessantly about yourself in a thick Irish accent
  • didn’t slap as fast as you could with lots of cut transitions and catch phrases in a thick Italian accent
  • have properly proportioned eyebrows
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:
4 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve got 3 out 4 but I’m struggling to guess the mick. Who do you mean?

2 Likes

Misattributing Scott’s nationality maybe?

3 Likes

Ok, I have a marketing guy’s take on this video.

After spending many years as a Creative Director of Ad agencies, the one thing I always ask when a new client brief comes in is: “What is the desired response from this particular piece of communication?” In many cases, the client servicing team can’t answer this question but to me it is fundamental to measuring the success or failure of a campaign or a one-off piece.

So, working backwards to try to understand your motivation for creating the video in the first place, I arrived at this as the “Desired Response”:

Josh Fossgreen would like to be hired as a ‘studio session bass-player’ for Billboard Top Ten Artists.

In this scenario, I think the video works well because you have taken the time to offer a product demonstration (Which in this case is you creating bass lines on the spot over the Spotify tracks).

However, in this case, I’m assuming your target audience would be Record Producers - and I think a tone which might sit a little better is: “Hey, this track has a cool chord progression, we could write an awesome bass line for this”. That way you don’t alienate the producers who are probably quite proud of the final track that left the studio - and you get to show off your skills (which are phenomenal). These guys may then call you up for future projects from their roster of artists.

If, on the other hand the “Desired Response” is to get people to sign up for the Beginner to Badass course, I don’t think this video works well at all as it’s basically saying, "You might as well get one of the NI Scarbee bass plugins (which are awesome) or go and buy a synth.

The last scenario I could think of is to get as many people as possible to view the YouTube video to take advantage of the Advertising revenue. So based on this, from an SEO standpoint, the Headline works well as it has “Spotify’s Top 10” in the title (And ‘Top 10’ is a big Google search term. I can’t really comment much further as I don’t know if there is anything more you have done with the YouTube SEO and promotional tools etc.

Either ways, I enjoyed the video and would personally like to see it as a regular feature, maybe once a month or so?

Hope this is helpful and if not, feel free to ignore my comments.

Best always,
Rich

PS: If it is helpful, I’m always available as an online Marketing Consultant :grinning:

5 Likes

As a Buzzer (who just happens to be a creative director and a marketing consultant, but that’s irrelevant in this context), it seemed to me that @JoshFossgreen produced the Spotify video as a way to not only chat with his fellow bass players about the lack of bass in pop music but also as a way to sound sincere alarm at the state of seemingly commodified commercial pop music that seems to largely have forgotten/forsaken bass as a required component. I could be way wrong, but that was my take.

5 Likes

He’s not Irish?

1 Like

Cumbrian! At least I think he is.

No I think he’s from Leeds. That’s in Yorkshire or Northern England.

Same part of the world as Mark Smith. Definitely not Ireland :shamrock:

1 Like

Ahh, that’s probably right. I thought he was a bit more Northern.

I think you are right as he worked for Overwater basses as a lad and they started in Carlisle.

Anyway not Ireland :sunglasses:

2 Likes

See. He aggravated me so much I can’t even get his nationality right. Lolol

2 Likes