Help. My bass talks to me

I have to share this just for the fun of it.
I’ve had a G&L Tribute L-2000 since I started this course.
We have a love/hate relationship despite all the strings I’ve given her.

Four months ago I decided to trade her in (that sounds terrible but I’m talking about a bass guitar) and she screamed: “Use me more, don’t sell me.”
I ended up walking out with a SansAmp in my hand to satisfy her.
Today I found my dream-bass online and decided to publish the G&L. And there she goes again: “Don’t sell me. Try me out with that really nasty looking and old set of rounds you took of that old bass you fixed. The only strings you haven’t tried.”

And there it is! I can get her to sound close to a P-bass…
She really doesn’t want to be given away. She’s just into old strings. Or is it me?

(But the memory of that 2011 Fender 60th anniversary p-bass still lingers in my mind.)

11 Likes

16 Likes

I dunno. My basses make a lot of sounds, each in its own voice. They sing sweetly, they growl, but never have they spoken to me in Engish.

Maybe burning some sage would calm things down. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

They say the bass picks you not the other way around.
That’s how I ended up with my Cort instead of Squier (Cort, Squier and Ibanez are all the same manufacturer IF they’re made in Indonesia but my Cort is from Korea).

I had the A4 Artisan before and when I went to try out the Squier 40th P, I REALLY, really like the black/gold one but this Cort on the wall just wouldn’t shut up. “Try me”, “try me”, “pick me you know you want to”.
It’s even from the same year that mine was, same color scheme as well, it only lacks the Active/Passive switch.
Needless to say I ended up taking the Cort and got it for the same price of the Squier because of the circumstances that let me to wanting specific basses back.

4 Likes

mine do too. but they mostly say buzzzz

stupid strings

6 Likes

You nailed it. It really made me laugh. Have a great day!

4 Likes

That was the one for you! Congrats on the winner!

3 Likes

Use reversed psychology. Enjoy the buzz and they will probably become silent.

5 Likes

You’re lucky. Mine only speak to me from the grave, and then I end up trying to buy them back. I’m still haunted by the spirit of my Yamaha BB735.

7 Likes

I share a teaching room with one of these and I LOVE it.
It’s not mine, so I just drool on it while I’m in there.
It’s hard to make it sound like a fender, so if you need a P-bass, you may still need a P-bass. But those Tributes are so damn beefy!! They sound amazing.

Way to level up in your bass whispering.

7 Likes

Truth is I’d love to have a p-bass added to my other two basses but then I get that “you don’t need three basses” feeling. The G&L is great. I love it and time will come when the p-bass is added without remorse while keeping the G&L. Cheers!

2 Likes

I remember you regretting having sold it. Beyond GAS, there really is something about certain instruments that connect in a special way.

2 Likes

10 Likes

Hahahaha perfect

2 Likes

Noooo. I don’t want to end up playing a banyo. :wink:

1 Like

I’n Spain, it’s spelled baño.

1 Like

Here’s an excuse, and it’s my reasoning despite living on my own and not needing yo justify either my actions or spending to anyone, I need 2 in standard tuning and another for Drop D.
I currently have a Harley Benton J in Drop D but that one’s going out. It’s heavy and has severe buzzing, upgrading is more hassle and costly than what it’s worth hence me looking at the Squier 40th P as my Drop D bass. Also not all that costly and from what I’ve heard they’re decent basses.

2 Likes

I solved that problem with a 5-string tuned ADGCF :upside_down_face:

Truth is only bass players are going to really understand our reasoning…
What you say makes sense to me. I’m really curious about those 40th anniversary Squiers. Recalling @PamPurrs comment… the only bass that talked to me from the grave and not on time was a Squier 50s CV and it was really great. I regret having sold it but it financed my Fender Mustang PJ 2017, which is my absolutely favorite bass. Check out a CV p-bass (60s or 70s) when looking for the 40th anniversary. I don’t doubt that an old Squier would make me very happy in my search for the p-tone. I’m convinced a good sounding P-bass with rounds and the Mustang with flats is my ideal setup… and the G&L, of course.

2 Likes

Bass Banjos do exist. They might actually be really cool…

3 Likes